www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 08-09-19, 10:50   #11
Cochrane
Gold Contributor

Do we consider Skyrim to be AAA? I've heard many people argue that in terms of development process and budget, the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are really more like AA games, though the size of the release and the sales numbers point to one A higher. Anyway, if we count Elder Scrolls as AAA, then Elder Scrolls wins easily. Not just that the voice acting is so monotone, but also the fact that there are like eight voices. Since every voice actor must be able to say every line for every character, there's exactly zero personality left.

In other words, I dare you to find something more grating than, "I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow in the knee".
Old 08-09-19, 11:45   #12
biscuits
Professor

Heavy Rain
Old 08-09-19, 12:33   #13
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I think the voice acting in Metal Gear Solid 5 is one of the worst Iíve played through. Most of the lines are delivered in such a monotone way and the main three main characters, those who speak the most, all sound so similar I really struggled to tell who was speaking most of the time.
Old 08-09-19, 12:50   #14
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
I know some of us are disatisfied with the current voice acting of Lara in the reboots but really it isn't *that* bad when compared to with some other AAA games out there.

I have just AGAIN attempted to get into to the Witcher 3. My third attempt as I hear such good things about it and feel it should be my kind of game entirely.

But yet again I have had to switch it off and I think I've put my finger on why it grates me so much. The voice acting for Geralt is simply awful (to me). This drone-y monotone-y drawl that I think is meant to suggest Geralt has effortless coolness and swagger, but actually just feels insufferable. I cannot stand it for more than an hour. Ugh.

So........... this got me to thinking, what other AAA games have you being dissuaded from playing because the voice acting is so awful?

And which AAA game has the worst voice acting?

(Please pick something other than TR as that is discussed endlessly elsewhere )
Geralt speaks like that in all 3 of his games. Also yes, he as a witcher he supposed to be stripped down of emotions, assumed by general folk; but finding Ciri scene disproves it. Later on, when Vesemir dies, there's an option: stay cold, or supportive. If you choose the latter, Geralt says he wants to cry, but don't know how. So He just don't know how to express emotions, that are considered "weak" by the witchers. ( in the games, not in the books)

And to answer to your question:
-the whole hungarian dub of the first witcher game
-the voice of Alma Reynard in HITMAN 2 is atrocious
-some lines in AoD is really cringey (the way they were delivered)
- Lara's out of breath talking in the first reboot
- any older Lego games, they don't speak; just producing noises
- the acting of the prostitute in Hitman - Contracts (Deadly Cargo level) is awful
- The voice of Tracey De Santa in GTAV is annoying. (but given the nature of the game, maybe it's intended)

Last edited by Zsott; 08-09-19 at 21:42.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 19:52   #15
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
Geralt speaks like that in all 3 of his games. Also yes, he as a witcher he supposed to be stripped down of emotions, assumed by general folk; but finding Ciri scene disproves it. Later on, when Vesemir dies, there's an option: stay cold, or supportive. If you choose the latter, Geralt says he wants to cry, but don't know how. So He just don't know how to express emotions, that are considered "weak" by the witchers. ( in the games, not in the books)
Oh that's interesting and does go some way to explaining how the character is portrayed. It does make sense.

However, I still feel in the hands of a different voice actor a much more creditable performance could have been achieved. I personally don't think it's necessary to be that drone-y way to convey someone is emotionless. Plus I have a feeling that regardless of how the character is pitched that I probably dislike the timbre of the actor's voice generally which doesn't help.

Aren't some of the other characters witchers? They don't seem to sound the same way.
Old 08-09-19, 21:38   #16
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Oh that's interesting and does go some way to explaining how the character is portrayed. It does make sense.

However, I still feel in the hands of a different voice actor a much more creditable performance could have been achieved. I personally don't think it's necessary to be that drone-y way to convey someone is emotionless. Plus I have a feeling that regardless of how the character is pitched that I probably dislike the timbre of the actor's voice generally which doesn't help.

Aren't some of the other characters witchers? They don't seem to sound the same way.
Geralt's VA has a totally different voice, when he speaks on his normal tone.
Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTMTdc1r688

As for the other witchers, you spotted well!
If I remember correctly, Vesemir (the oldest in the games), shows a wide range of emotions, especially in Witcher 3.
I think it depends at which age the orphans got be trained to be a witcher.
Geralt, was a baby, when he was left at Kaer Morhen, while Lambert was a kid (5 or 6 years old).
I think it's a factor too, what background they have. Again, Geralt was abandoned by his mother after birth, while Lambert was given away. (His father was saved by a witcher, but he had no coin. So the witcher told him to go home, then pick the first valuable thing he sees, then bring it back. Since Lambert's father was a drunken idiot, he choosed his son.)
Also, Geralt is a special case, since he's shown unusual tolerance for the trial of grass. (that's why he's pale and white haired) Thanks to this, he's stronger, faster than any of the witchers... and also why he has lesser capability to show emotions.

Last edited by Zsott; 08-09-19 at 21:41.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-19, 05:14   #17
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I think the voice acting in Metal Gear Solid 5 is one of the worst Iíve played through. Most of the lines are delivered in such a monotone way and the main three main characters, those who speak the most, all sound so similar I really struggled to tell who was speaking most of the time.
Oh my goodness I couldn't tell who was talking on the radio for the entire game. Was in Kaz? or was it Ocelot? I honestly had no idea.
Old 13-09-19, 14:10   #18
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I thought that too but only of Kiefer Sutherland's character, it felt like he had phoned in his performance like he just turned up and recorded his lines without putting in any effort or emotion into playing his part, his performance as Big Boss felt rather flat.

David Hayter is and always will be Solid Snake/Big Boss to me, with David Hayter playing the part you believe you are playing as Solid Snake.

With Kiefer Sutherland playing the part it felt like I was playing as a generic action hero, why did they have to get rid of David Hayter and replace him with an inferior actor.

Troy Baker should have played the part of Big Boss, he could have done double duty playing the parts of Big Boss and Revolver Ocelot and it wouldn't be the first time multiple characters have been voiced by the same person, Ashly Burch played the parts of several characters in Life is Strange.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-19, 14:58   #19
dg1995
Student

Goldman from house of the dead 2.(Haven't played it just seen it.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftc_Pbhb3IE

Alone in the dark 2008 bad ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzCoCdIMIcI
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-19, 18:21   #20
trfan16
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
Goldman from house of the dead 2.(Haven't played it just seen it.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftc_Pbhb3IE
Actually, the whole House of the Dead 2 voice acting is laughable. My personal favorite is the boss at the end of the first level that threatens James that he will "suffer like G did." But says the line as if he was asking a question. "Suffer like G did?"

Also, there was a video game where the CEO hired his own children to voice the characters. I wish I remembered the name of the game. But the voice acting sounds like they were reading exactly from the script.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote