Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 15-08-19, 10:28   #1
LuckyEdge10

Default Tomb Raider Underworld UNappreciation thread

Horrible and ridicolous plot, clunky controls, Lara moves like a YouTube video set in 2x speed, tons of bugs and glitches, horrible PS2 and Wii versions based on earlier builds of the game, main menu copied straight from AoD, short, exclusive Xbox 360 content, deleted leves, when you die it's ALWAYS the game's fault because of its horrible and clunky controls.

If you have anything more to add, feel free to do it.

Underworld is just the worst TR ever. It sucks in almost EVERY point (except for the graphics, which was gorgeus for its time).

And do we wanna talk about when one of Crystal Dynamics' developers said "Angel of Darkness was a study in what no to do"? Well, I wouod like to say to this deveoper that their Underworld game sucked. It sucks way more than AoD.

This is the Underworld HATE thread.
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-19, 16:34   #2
ESCachuli

lol I agree with every point you made and I would like to add how this game made any possible Core Design idea comeback impossible, since they think this is the most "classic one", but everything is done so poorly that it is almost a parody. Not to mention how cringy everything is plot-wise.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-19, 16:44   #3
OrangeJuice

yeah underworld only really has its graphics, art style and soundtrack/ambient sound design going for it. other than that it's stupid as hell and boring.

oh natla is a bad bitch tho.
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-19, 16:49   #4
LuckyEdge10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
lol I agree with every point you made and I would like to add how this game made any possible Core Design idea comeback impossible, since they think this is the most "classic one", but everything is done so poorly that it is almost a parody. Not to mention how cringy everything is plot-wise.
"That it is almost a parody" LMFAO sad truth.

Do we want to talk about the scene where Lara meets her zombie mother? That scene is so cringe, and it doesn't make any sense. How did Amelia arrive there? That scene is 100% forced just because they had to make a depressing scene, like in all their games lmfao
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-19, 18:08   #5
VictorXD

Is this really at all necessary? The game is already bashed in every other sub forum and thread whenever it comes up, and goodness knows we have had thousands of threads on the TRU section about how much it is disliked/did something wrong.
VictorXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-19, 18:50   #6
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Is this really at all necessary? The game is already bashed in every other sub forum and thread whenever it comes up, and goodness knows we have had thousands of threads on the TRU section about how much it is disliked/did something wrong.
Agreed . Sounds to me like the OP was so bored he couldn't think of any original idea for a thread , lol .

And I do NOT like Underworld as a whole , it's my least favorite Crystal game , but nope it's not worse than AOD . I also can't fault that CD employee (was it Eric ?) who said that AOD is a study in what not to do . ****ty management , inexperience in next-gen tech , ridiculous over-ambitiousness etc ? This is indeed how not to develop a video game . I can tolerate playing Underworld , but AOD is just downright insufferable to play .

However , my opinion on the game is as follows : Thailand and Mexico are amazing levels , the puzzles and atmosphere/ambient effects in the game are great , graphics are good , and I like Underworld Lara . Other than that the rest is mediocre at best and super bad/boring at worst .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-19, 08:28   #7
CroftManiac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I also can't fault that CD employee (was it Eric ?) who said that AOD is a study in what not to do . ****ty management , inexperience in next-gen tech , ridiculous over-ambitiousness etc ? This is indeed how not to develop a video game
I agree with all this, but it seems that Eric fell into the over-ambitiousness trap himself. Remember how he used to say how epic the game would be or that they would implement night/day cycles etc. The developers were excited about their projects, but they shouldn't have given false promises (that goes for both AOD and Underworld).

Quote:
However , my opinion on the game is as follows : Thailand and Mexico are amazing levels , the puzzles and atmosphere/ambient effects in the game are great , graphics are good , and I like Underworld Lara . Other than that the rest is mediocre at best and super bad/boring at worst .
Yep that's how I feel as well, except that I'm not really fond of Underworld Lara.
I could forgive the clunky controls and the mediocre animations if it weren't for the abysmal storyline and characterization that took a giant dump on what Legend had built.
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-19, 13:23   #8
JsotoTRSaga

Underworld is my favorite game from the LAU Trilogy, how dare you! I guess I hate the unfinished nature of the animations and lack of color palette from Mexico onwards. Those are my only complaints from Underworld, I loved it and I miss it.

It was also too short but all of LAU even GOL was short.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 16-08-19 at 13:24.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-19, 06:46   #9
HarleyCroft

Hate threads are in really poor taste.. but holy FUDGE is this game terrible and deserving of one!!

My brokeness couldn't afford a PS3 at the time so the PS2 version was my first. Graphics aside, as soon as Lara's flat chimney-jumping ass decided the only way to get by the innocent Kraken was to kill it I hated that game. Still do for other sour reasons. I'll make a list

Last edited by HarleyCroft; 17-08-19 at 06:53.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-19, 14:49   #10
NoahCrofRaider

This thread is very extra, but while we’re on the topic, here’s my do’s and don’t-‘s about it.

Do’s:
-Beautiful graphics and, though not perfect, a very pretty Lara
-Fantastic variety of locations
-A few nice songs
-A lovely story, as long as you don’t consider it as a sequel to Legend
-Wonderful classic atmosphere and feeling across most of its levels
-Fabulous motion capture for the cutscenes
-A great moveset, probably the best we’ve had in the history of TR

Don’t-‘s:
-Terrible usage of colors, like my goodness
-Amanda being shoehorned in with little reason to why she’s there
-Clunky, downright awful controls paired with disgusting in-game animations

There aren’t a ton of issues with the game, but there are still a few and big, important ones at that. I like the game, but it is probably the one I least enjoy playing.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote