www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 20-06-22, 17:19   #1
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Arrow New Glitches+Discoveries+Random Videos

I've recorded a load of new videos for TR2 and TR3. Some of them are glitches and discoveries that I've stumbled upon, whereas others are just random videos. Rather than upload them all at once, I'm going to be uploading them gradually; maybe one day at a time. I'll post the videos in this thread, so be sure to keep up to date with this thread if you're interested. I'll begin with the first video:

3 Circuit Breakers For The Price Of One (Wreck Of The Maria Doria):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEAE47eLgew

In Barkhang Monastery, there is a glitch that enables you to complete the level with just 1 Prayer Wheel. This glitch can also be used in Wreck Of The Maria Doria, and it enables you to extinguish all 3 bunsens with just 1 Circuit Breaker, when you would normally need 3. I show you myself performing this glitch in both levels.

I think I've understood how this glitch works, but in order to explain it we have to begin with the basics. When you're stood over a keyhole, there are 2 ways of selecting the key that's needed. You can go into your inventory manually by pressing the inventory button. This takes you into the main part of the inventory, which is where your guns are displayed. You then press "upwards" in order to access the part of the inventory where the keys are displayed, and you can select the necessary key. The quicker way is to press "action" on the keyhole, which sends you straight to the part of the inventory where the key items are displayed.

In order for this glitch to be possible, you need to have a minimum of 2 of the same keyholes; 2 or more keyholes that each take the same key as each other. Barkhang Monastery has 5 slots that each take a Prayer Wheel. Wreck Of The Maria Doria has 3 keyholes that each take a Circuit Breaker. To do this glitch, you need to have 1 of the items that works on the keyholes (1 Prayer Wheel or 1 Circuit Breaker) and you need to have atleast 1 other key item. With Barkhang Monastery, it's a guarantee that you'll have the Seraph. With Wreck Of The Maria Doria, you'd have to collect either the Restroom Key or the Rusty Key. You then approach the first keyhole and insert the necessary item; Prayer Wheel or Circuit Breaker. You then move onto the next keyhole, go into your inventory manually and go to where the key items are displayed. The key item that you've got in your inventory will be displayed, but it will be completely motionless and the name won't be listed underneath. Press "action" on the key item, and the item that you inserted into the previous keyhole will be inserted into the keyhole that you're stood over. Repeat this process with all of the other keyholes and you'll insert the item into each of them.

When you press "action" on the motionless key item, I think that the game thinks that you're selecting the same item that you inserted into the previous keyhole, even though you no longer have that item. After doing this glitch in Wreck Of The Maria Doria, I decided to go to the keyhole where you're meant to insert the Rest Room Key, and attempted to continue the glitch there. The inventory was still in its motionless state, but Lara rejected the item that I selected, even though it was an image of the Rest Room Key that displayed in the inventory; the correct item for the keyhole. The fact that it didn't work on the Rest Room Keyhole but did work on the Circuit Breaker Keyhole is why I concluded that the game thinks that you're trying to insert the same item again; the Circuit Breaker in this case.

When you insert the necessary item into the first keyhole and approach a secondary keyhole, there are things that can go wrong and stop this glitch from working. Therefore there are things that you must/mustn't do in order to pull off this glitch.
1) When you approach a secondary keyhole, don't press "action" on the keyhole; this will result in your inventory going back to normal, and the glitch will stop working. You have to approach the keyhole, go into your inventory manually, and press "up" to go to the part of the inventory where the keys are displayed.
2) When you approach a secondary keyhole and have the keys displayed in your inventory, do not move across to a different key if you've got more than one key in your inventory; that too will cause your inventory to go back to normal. You have to select the first key which visually displays in your inventory in order to do this glitch.
3) Others? There might be other things that can stop this glitch from working, so do watch out!

I did also attempt this glitch in TR1 and TR3, just to see if it would work in a different game to TR2. In TR3, I tried it with the Oceanic Masks in Lost City Of Tinnos, with the Uli Key as the extra key item. In TR1, I tried it in Palace Midas with the Lead Bars on the hand of Midas, and the Gold Bars at the end of the level. Both times I had The Scion as the extra key item. The glitch did work in Lost City Of Tinnos, TR3. However, it didn't work in Palace Midas, TR1.

Here's What Happened In Barkhang Monastery:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuBvntS1oZ4

Back in 2021, I uploaded a video from this level which was titled "What Happened Here? (Barkhang Monastery, Tomb Raider 2)"
A link for the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfz...o_tnq&index=78

In that video, I showed you a glitch which I had stumbled upon by accident. There is a dark room containing bunsens and a Prayer Wheel. Entering the room causes a gunman to spawn. Obtaining the Prayer Wheel causes the bunsens to ignite, and also causes another gunman to spawn in the area where you collect the Main Hall Key. However, this wasn't the way of things in the video that I linked you to. The room was light instead of being dark. No gunman spawned when I entered the room. Picking up the Prayer Wheel didn't cause the bunsens to ignite, nor did it causes the gunman to spawn near the Main Hall Key. I was really puzzled by this glitch; I had stumbled upon it by pure fluke and didn't know what had caused it. Since then, I have figured out how the glitch is caused and this video gives an explanation on the glitch.

There are 5 Prayer Wheels in this level, all of which are located at separate destinations. 1 of the Prayer Wheels is in the rooftops area, beyond a star shaped door which blocks the way. You have to use a Gemstone in order to get the star door to move, granting you access to the Prayer Wheel. Another of the Prayer Wheels is behind a block in the flooded room where the silver dragon (secret) is. You have to drain the water in order to be able to move the block and collect the Prayer Wheel. This also requires the use of a Gemstone if you're doing the level without glitches being allowed.

The rooftops area is above the courtyard area; another place within the level. There are 2 possible shortcuts that can get you from the rooftops area to the courtyard area. One of the shortcuts is a glitch, whereas the other shortcut is not. I show you both of the shortcuts. If you use one of those shortcuts after inserting the Gemstone and getting the star door to move, then it results in the water being drained in the room that I mentioned in the previous paragraph. This saves you from having to drain the water yourself. This is not a new discovery; it's been known for many years. However, this is also what caused the glitch that I was puzzled by; the glitch in the dark room with the bunsens and Prayer Wheel. If you get the star door to move by inserting the Gemstone, and use one of the shortcuts to the exercise yard, then you will encounter this glitch if you go to the room with the bunsens. The room will be light. No gunman will spawn when you enter the room. Obtaining the Prayer Wheel won't cause the bunsens to ignite or for the gunman to spawn where the Main Hall Key is.

In order to be able to receive the benefits of this glitch, you have to go to the rooftops area before going to the room with the bunsens. Otherwise the bunsens would've already ignited, and the gunmen already would've spawned. You also have to watch out for 1 thing that can result in the star door moving back to its original position, thus stopping this glitch from working. I show you what that thing is, although it doesn't seem to work 100% of the time. I show you the glitch not working as a result of the star door moving back to its original position. I also show you the glitch working initially, which resulted in me being able to collect the Prayer Wheel from the room while it was light, and without the bunsens igniting or either gunman spawning. However, the glitch and its effects became undone after the star door moved back. The room went back to being dark. The gunman spawned when I re-entered the room. The bunsens hadn't yet ignited, and the gunman near the Main Hall Key hadn't yet spawned. The Prayer Wheel obviously wasn't there (since I had already collected it) but stepping onto the space where the Prayer Wheel used to be resulted in the bunsens igniting, and the other gunman spawning.

How To Easily Destroy The Machine Guns In The Nevada Levels Of Tomb Raider 3:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGeQXbQUUQA

High Security Compound and Area 51 contain a number of Machine Guns throughout the levels. Destroying the Machine Guns counts as kills on the statistics, and therefore the Machine Guns have to be destroyed if you are trying to complete the game with maximum kills. The Machine Guns could be considered to be 1 of the more difficult enemies, since they are powerful and take a lot of shots to destroy. They shoot at you if you trigger their lasers or shoot at them. However, in this video I show you that there are easy ways of dealing with the Machine Guns.

The Machine Guns can only shoot you if you are within a close enough range. The range that they have is equal to the range that you have; they can only shoot you if you're within a close enough distance in order for you to be able to lock-on to them with your own guns. If you were to simply stand within range of the Machine Guns and shoot at them then they would fire back at you. Although, if you shoot a target and hold onto action and move out of range, then you can still shoot at the target despite being out of range if you didn't let go of action. If you shoot a Machine Gun and hold onto action and move out of range, then you can continue to shoot the Machine Gun but it can't shoot you. I demonstrate this in the video by using this technique to destroy a few of the Machine Guns.

Another technique is to use the MP5 to take out the Machine Guns. The MP5 can lock-on to targets from further away than any other gun; the MP5's range is superior to the ranges of the rest of your guns in this game. This means that you can shoot the Machine Guns with the MP5 without them shooting back at you if you're far enough away to not be within their range, but not so far that you can't lock-on to them yourself with the MP5. If you lock-on to a Machine Gun with an alternative weapon and move backwards until you can no longer aim at the Machine Gun. Then switch your weapon with the MP5, and the Machine Gun is yours to destroy. For what it's worth, the M16 in TR2 has a superior range to the rest of your guns in that game, much like the MP5 in this game. However, the focus of this video is on TR3, not TR2.

The 2 techniques mentioned so far certainly have their uses. However, they're not options against all of the Machine Guns. These methods are only useful if it's possible to get enough distance between yourself and the Machine Guns in order to be able to go out of their ranges. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to get a big enough distance from all of the Machine Guns. That's not to say that all is hopeless. In fact, there is a method of dealing with the Machine Guns in such a case. With the Desert Eagle, shoot the Machine Gun once and quickly move to an area where the Machine Gun can't see you. The Machine Gun will begin to shoot at you but will stop once you've moved to an area where it can't see you. If you're very quick to move to a safe spot then the Machine Gun will only have the time to inflict a tiny bit of damage upon you. If you then move back into a position where you and the Machine Gun can aim at each other again, then you just have to repeat the process and the Machine Gun will soon be destroyed. In the video, I jump in and out of a position where the Machine Gun can see me. I shoot the Machine Gun just before I move out of its sight. That seems to be the best way of minimising the amount of time that the Machine Gun has to shoot at you, and therefore keeps the amount of damage that you sustain to a minimum.

I move onto a different technique; a technique that any gun can be used for. It seems that there are some "blind spots" when dealing with the Machine Guns. It seems that there are some positions that you can get yourself into where you are able to shoot a Machine Gun but it doesn't shoot you. I don't think that this is a possibility against all of the Machine Guns, but I was able to show you myself doing this against a handful of them.

I finish by including clips with the Rocket Launcher, and you get to see how good the Rocket Launcher can be at taking out the Machine Guns. I left these clips until last as the Rocket Launcher is not an obtainable weapon in the Nevada section, which means that it wouldn't be available to you unless you were to do the All Weapons Cheat, or play on New Game+. The Pistols and Desert Eagle are obtainable at the end of High Security Compound, whereas the MP5 is obtainable at the beginning of Area 51. I thought it therefore made more sense to focus on those 3 weapons since you would have access to them when playing the game normally.

Shortcut/Glitch Through A Door Without The Gold Key (Temple Of Xian):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VPNcHHB0QQ

There is a door near the start of the level that can only be opened with the Gold Key; an item that requires you to do a large amount of the level in order to obtain. By opening this door and proceeding you are able to collect the Silver Key, which opens a different door that leads towards the later stages of the level. In this video I show you that it's possible to glitch through the door that you would normally have to open with the Gold Key. You can then carry on like normal and help yourself to the Silver Key. When you return, the door would've remained shut but I show you that it's possible to glitch back out. This means that you can pretty much go straight from the start of the level to where the spider cave is, since you won't need the Gold Key if doing this glitch.

This could be seen as unnecessary, since there is a quicker way of completing the level. There is a jump that you can do by the Gold Secret (Dragon) that skips out most of the level, bypassing the need for the Gold Key or Silver Key. None the less, I thought that I would share this discovery because I found it interesting, and I hope that people might be able to find a use for it.

Skipping The 3 Enemies In Wreck Of The Maria Doria:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhvMI9YXmk

This link will take you to a video of mine which explains how the Circuit Breaker Dupe Glitch works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEAE47eLgew

3 enemies spawn in the area with the 3 bunsens where you're meant to use Circuit Breakers to extinguish the fires. 2 of the enemies have guns, whereas the other has a bat. To get to this area, you pull an underwater switch which opens a trapdoor above you. Pulling the switch is also what causes the enemies to spawn. By using an underwater flare-wall glitch, it's possible to make it into the area without needing to pull the switch, and therefore without triggering the enemies.

This is not a new discovery. Infact, it's been known for years. So my reason for sharing this video is not to inform you of the glitch that skips out the enemies. Instead, the purpose of this video is to advise you on the different ways of proceeding with the level from here. Even without the presence of the enemies, you still have the issues of the bunsens. There are different ways of proceeding with the level from this point, and I show you all of the ways that I was able to think of.

You could simply collect the 3 Circuit Breakers and use them to extinguish the bunsens. This is very straight forward and shouldn't cause you any difficulties with this part of the level. The downside, is that you'd be required to collect the 3 Circuit Breakers from the previous parts of the level.

A different option is to move the block through the bunsens without catching fire. In the video, I show you that this isn't too hard to do with the correct precision. You do still lose health from being within close proximity of the fires, but your health will stop depleting once you move away. This is a much faster method as it doesn't require you to collect any of the Circuit Breakers. The problem is that you end up losing about 130% of your health, therefore forcing a minimum of 1 full healthpack out of you.

The next method requires you to collect 1 Circuit Breaker. You use the Circuit Breaker on the first keyhole that's available to you, thus extinguishing the nearest bunsen. You then stand where the fire used to be, and proceed by doing a flare-wall glitch. Much like the glitch that got you into the area without triggering the enemies, except it's not underwater this time. This technique won't cost you any health. It just requires 1 Circuit Breaker and a flare.

Alternatively, you could collect 1 Circuit Breaker and either the Rusty Key or the Rest Room Key; you don't need both. You can then use the Circuit Breaker Dupe Glitch to extinguish all 3 bunsens, as if you had every Circuit Breaker. There's a link at the top of the description for a video which explains how this particular glitch works.

The final method requires nothing more than a flare. However, you do have to be very precise as making a tiny mistake with your positioning could result in you losing health, or even catching fire. You have to stand very close to the first bunsen and perform a flare-wall glitch. Being within such a close distance of the bunsen is why there's the risk of you catching fire, or at least losing health. If you can pull this off without taking damage, then this would surely be the best method to go with.

Shotgun Goon Skip Trigger Near The Secret In Wreck Of The Maria Doria:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMg943xTM70

Near the beginning of the level is the path that leads to the silver dragon; silver secret. When you proceed along the path you would normally encounter 2 enemies with shotguns. The first enemy appears when you're near the start of the path. The second enemy spawns when you're deeper into the path; near the secret. I don't think it's possible to avoid triggering the first enemy. However, I have found a way of skipping the second enemy.

In this video, I show you the spot that causes the second enemy to spawn. I also show you how to avoid this spot with a basic glitch. You have to avoid the spot when going for the secret, and you have to avoid the spot again when returning after collecting the secret; otherwise the enemy will spawn. This enables you to collect the silver secret while only having to deal with 1 of the enemies, as opposed to both.

Gunman Skip Trigger Near The Drawbridge Key (Tibetan Foothills):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR5l58j_gFE

There are a fair few gunmen in this level. One of them spawns in the area where you collect the Drawbridge Key. In this video, I show you that you can avoid triggering this enemy with a basic glitch. I show you the enemy's trigger spot, and how to avoid the spot. Thus stopping the gunman from spawning.

This wouldn't be useful in speedrunning as it's possible to glitchlessly complete the level without the need of the Drawbridge Key. Meaning that you'd have no reason to go to where the Drawbridge Key is. However, this could come in handy in a Pacifist Run. In all of the Pacifist Runs that I've done for this game, I always do most of Tibetan Foothills on foot. I leave the snowmobile near the hut and save it for the later parts of the level. When I collect the Hut Key near where the drawbridge is, I'm always on foot and end up under attack from the enemy riding on the snowmobile. I escape by dropping down the ladder that takes me to where the Drawbridge Key is. From there, I backtrack through the level towards the hut. Therefore, this skip trigger could come in handy as it would enable me to skip an enemy that I'd otherwise be at risk from.

Why Do These Enemies Only Spawn If Your Guns Are Out? (Diving Area):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyk7tlrte-M

Near the start of the level it's common for 3 enemies to spawn; 2 gunmen and a dog. However, these enemies will only spawn if you've got your guns out. If you keep your guns in your pockets then the enemies won't trigger. In this video, I show you the enemies not spawning due to me not having my guns out. I then draw my guns out and the enemies trigger.

It's strange that the triggering of the enemies seems to be determined by whether or not you have your guns out. I'm really not sure why these enemies would only spawn if you've got your guns out. Therefore, I decided to produce this video which asks that very question. If anybody has any ideas, then I'd be grateful to hear from you.

Trapping The Enemies In The Room At The Start Of Offshore Rig:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU7C4IxgOME

You begin the level in a locked room containing a number of moveable blocks. You move one of the blocks to get to a switch which opens a door, enabling you to escape from the room. The door doesn't stay open for good; it closes again after a short amount of time. If you are successful in making it out of the room then you encounter 2 enemies.

In this video, I show you that it's possible to trap the 2 enemies in the room at the beginning while escaping from the room yourself. Begin by moving the block so that you can get to the switch, like you would when playing the game normally. After pulling the switch, run outside so that you trigger the 2 enemies, but then return to the room. The door will close, so you have to pull the switch again so that the door re-opens. Wait inside the room for the enemies to enter. Run outside just as the door is closing. If your timing is good then you'll make it outside, and the door will close with the enemies on the inside.

When waiting for the enemies to enter the room, it is possible that they won't enter in time. They might be too slow and the door closes before they enter. If this happens then you'll have to keep pulling the switch until they make it inside. Once the enemies are inside, it is possible that you won't make it out of the room in time; the door might close before you make it outside. In which case you can resolve the problem by simply pulling the switch again. The other thing that can go wrong is that the enemies might make it back outside. If you're timing isn't great, then the enemies might follow you outside of the room before the door closes. So timing is very important when trying to trap the enemies.

The only problem with trapping the enemies in the room is that it results in you not being able to complete the level. One of the enemies drops a Yellow Pass which is needed for opening a different door and proceeding with the level. There's no way of getting back into the room once the door has closed with you on the outside. This means that you wouldn't be able to get to the enemies and kill the 1 who drops the Yellow Pass. It therefore isn't practical to trap the enemies in the room at the beginning, although it can be fun.

Block Shenanigans In Tomb Raider 2:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-neZ7AfLo

The focus of this video is on shenanigans regarding blocks; 1 block from Offshore Rig, as well as 2 blocks from Barkhang Monastery.

In Offshore Rig, there are 3 moveable blocks in the room that you start off in. They don't serve useful purposes; they're just there to get in your way. You're meant to move them out of your way and pull a switch which opens a door that enables you to escape from the room that you start off in. The door doesn't stay open permanently; it closes again after a certain amount of time has elapsed.

I was able to move 1 of the blocks so that it was right next to the door, and in your way if you were to try and pass through. By using good timing and precision I was able to glitch through the block and make it out of the room. I also managed to pull the block out of the room with me. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take the block any further. When the block was in the space that I moved it to, it was as if the block had lost its physical existence. I couldn't push/pull the block, or even produce the animation where Lara goes to grab the block before pushing/pulling it. I was able to walk straight through the block as if it wasn't even there.

I encountered similar oddities in Barkhang Monastery. There is a room that you have to pass through when heading for the courtyard area. The room contains a number of blocks, 3 of which are moveable. There are 2 blocks that are on top of other blocks. One of the upper blocks can be moved; the 2 other moveable blocks are lower blocks. In the video I pulled 1 of the blocks so that it was blocking the entrance. That didn't stop me from having access to the room; I was able to get into the room with a glitch. From there, I moved the moveable upper block onto the top of the block that was blocking the entrance. Usually you can't move a block when its got a block on top of it. But in this video I pushed the lower block, even though there was a block on top of it. The upper block stayed where it was, despite the fact that there was no block underneath it. Visually, there was no longer a block obstructing the entrance. Physically though, it was as if the block was still there. I couldn't go through the empty space where the block was; I was stopped as if the block was still there. The upper block was present visually. I could also do the animation where Lara goes to grab the block with the intention of moving it, but I wasn't able to push/pull it in any sort of way. I was also able to travel through the block, like with the one in Offshore Rig.

I can't imagine any of this having any useful purposes but I found it interesting and therefore decided to share it.

Safely Dropping Down Into The Ditch (Area 51):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HVyb55dre8

This video focuses on the part of the level that has 2 switches. 1 of them opens a set of doors, whereas the other opens a different set of doors and causes a trapdoor to rise up so that you can stand on it. You have to push both of the switches so that you can make it through the first set of doors, along the trapdoor, and then through the second set of doors. This leads into a room where you can make further progress. The doors don't stay open permanently; the doors close and the trapdoor collapses once a certain amount of time has elapsed. You have to push the 2 switches in a particular order as the function of 1 of the switches lasts longer than the function of the other.

If you're stood on the trapdoor when it collapses, then you would fall into a ditch and be killed by the drop. However, in this video I show you that it is possible to make it to the bottom of the ditch without dying. When you pull the first switch, don't pull the second switch straight afterwards. Instead, give it a bit of time; the amount of time that I gave it in the video should be about right. By doing things this way, the trapdoor will collapse before the second set of doors closes. This means that if you make it into the room and stand near the second set of doors, then when the trapdoor collapses you can grab the ledge and drop down. The fall will do a lot of damage, but you will survive if you have a full healthbar. You are then free to explore the ditch, although there isn't anything down there.

Trapdoor Glitch Near The Rocket In Area 51:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9g33cBenuY

This video focuses on a glitch that I stumbled upon in the area where the rocket is. If you're not using glitches, then you would have to launch the rocket in order to be able to complete the level. There are ladders near the rocket that you are meant to climb up in order to proceed with the level. There are trapdoors on the ladders which stop you from being able to climb to where you need to get to. Launching the rocket causes the trapdoors to collapse, enabling you to climb up the ladders to the next part of the level.

With glitches, it is possible to complete the level without needing to launch the rocket. When doing the glitch, you do briefly stand on top of the first trapdoor. So the trapdoors have to be closed in order for the glitch to work. When I tried doing the glitch, I ended up falling straight through the trapdoor instead of landing on top of it. From doing a bit of digging, I came to realise that I was able to climb up the ladders and go straight through the trapdoors as if they weren't there. The trapdoors did have a visual appearance, but they didn't seem to exist physically.

I came across the glitch when doing a playthrough for the level with some added challenges. I was recording myself doing the level, and the whole video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGaq...p&index=3&t=2s

Skipping Both Sets Of Boulders At The Start Of Tibetan Foothills:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aNPis42K8w

When you slide down a slope near the start of the level, a set of boulders get triggered. If you proceed onwards, then a second set of boulders trigger. It's been known for many years that the first set of boulders can be skipped, and without the need of any glitches. However, I'm yet to see a video of somebody skipping out the second set of boulders. In this video, I show you that it's possible to avoid triggering both sets of boulders.

I avoid the first set of boulders the same way that everybody else does; by using a jump that enables you to bypass the boulder's trigger point. A glitch is required in order to avoid triggering the second set of boulders. I show you the boulder's trigger spot, and I show you myself avoiding the spot. I don't think that this would be useful in speedrunning since this looks like it's a slower way of going about the level, and speedrunners don't appear to have much difficulty dealing with the second set of boulders when triggering them. However, anybody who doesn't want to have to deal with the boulders can now skip out both sets of them by using the techniques demonstrated in this video.

How To Skip Every Bird In Tibetan Foothills:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8WmZYOEYwE

There are a total of 4 birds that feature in this level. All 4 of them feature during the earlier stages of the level. It's been known for years that you can skip the first one by jumping to the right at the very beginning of the level, rather than slide down the slope. It's also been known that you can skip the fourth bird by jumping over the canyon, although the fall does cost health. I uploaded a video years ago showing you how to skip the second and third bird. With all of this in mind, there have been ways of skipping every bird. The only disadvantage is the health loss that you sustain from the fall when skipping the fourth one. In this video, I show you how to skip all 4 birds, and without losing any health.

I skip the first bird the normal way; I jump to the right at the start of the level. I skip the second and third bird the same way that I skipped them in the previous video that I mentioned; I used a glitch to avoid their trigger spots. As for the fourth bird, there are different options. You could avoid the bird by jumping across the canyon, but this would cost health. You could avoid health loss by taking the normal route, but this would result in the bird being triggered. There are 2 other options that I found, both of which skip the bird and without costing you health. For the first method, I used a flare-wall glitch to reach an area that shouldn't be reachable. I was then able to make my way around to the other side and drop down unharmed. For the other method, I dropped down into the water and used an underwater flare-wall glitch to take me onto a bit of land. From there I was able to jump onto the side that I needed to be on, and without taking damage.

Snowmobile Shenanigans (Tibetan Foothills):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvF2PrcH_y4

This video focuses on the snowmobile, which has a significant role to play in this level. It's only the second vehicle in the series that you can operate during gameplay; the first was the boat in the Venice section of this game. The snowmobile is also the first vehicle that you get to use on land, and it's the first vehicle that you can kill enemies with. This video mostly focuses on a few shenanigans involving the snowmobile. This video is not meant to be informative or educational; it's only intended as a bit of fun.

I begin by leaving the snowmobile on the centre of the drawbridge, and then proceed with that part of the level on foot. After the avalanche, I try to return to the snowmobile but don't have any joy. The drawbridge collapsed during the avalanche and the snowmobile remained on the exact spot that it was on. The snowmobile was in the air and out of reach to me, meaning that I couldn't get back onto it.

In the next clip I had travelled beyond the drawbridge and left the snowmobile near the area where the avalanche takes place. When I try to return for the snowmobile, it is nowhere to be seen. Presumably, the snowmobile either would've gotten destroyed by the avalanche or buried by snow.

In the following clip, I go slightly further with the snowmobile. In fact, I backtrack after the avalanche and can see a bit of the snowmobile in the wall of snow that can't be accessed. I do try to mount the snowmobile but don't have any joy, despite the fact that some of the snowmobile does have a visual appearance.

I finish by attempting to steal a different snowmobile from one of the enemies, since I kept losing my own snowmobiles. However, I killed the enemy with the Grenade Launcher which also caused the snowmobile to blow up. This therefore meant that I couldn't have the enemy's snowmobile either.

How To Avoid Triggering The Hook In High Security Compound:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fdE8qze3Lo

Towards the end of this level you have to kill an enemy who drops a Yellow Security Pass which is needed for opening a door and completing the level. In order to reach this enemy, you have to kill a different enemy who drops a Blue Security Pass. This grants you access to a switch which sends a block to the bottom of a ladder which was initially too high for you to reach. By standing on top of the block, the ladder is no longer out of your reach. From there, you have to climb up the ladder onto a platform and then use monkey swings. When you climb onto the platform, a hook gets triggered which can harm you and obstruct you. In this video I show you a way of avoiding the spot that triggers the hook. The spot is on the platform, directly above the ladder. When you climb onto the platform, you are immediately on the trigger spot. However, in this video I demonstrate that it's possible to avoid the spot if you shimmy to the right and then pull yourself up. You can then proceed with the monkey swings without having to worry about the hook.

I am aware that there are glitches which enable you to complete the level without needing to use the monkey swings. There's one glitch that enables you to complete the level without needing to kill the enemy as it's possible to use one of the previous Yellow Security Passes to open the door. There's also a glitch which sends you straight up to where the enemy is, bypassing the monkey swings and hook. With that in mind, this discovery might be irrelevant if you're using glitches. However, if you're not using glitches then it's not so easy to complete the level without using the monkey swings. This trick of avoiding the hook's trigger spot is glitchless; it's not a glitch and doesn't require the use of any glitches. This trick could therefore have some use if you are completing the level without glitches. The reason why I shared this was to give people the opportunity to use this trick when playing the level glitchlessly.

Last edited by Greenapple968; 05-07-22 at 12:45.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-22, 13:41   #2
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Here's What Happened In Barkhang Monastery:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuBvntS1oZ4

Back in 2021, I uploaded a video from this level which was titled "What Happened Here? (Barkhang Monastery, Tomb Raider 2)"
A link for the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfz...o_tnq&index=78

In that video, I showed you a glitch which I had stumbled upon by accident. There is a dark room containing bunsens and a Prayer Wheel. Entering the room causes a gunman to spawn. Obtaining the Prayer Wheel causes the bunsens to ignite, and also causes another gunman to spawn in the area where you collect the Main Hall Key. However, this wasn't the way of things in the video that I linked you to. The room was light instead of being dark. No gunman spawned when I entered the room. Picking up the Prayer Wheel didn't cause the bunsens to ignite, nor did it causes the gunman to spawn near the Main Hall Key. I was really puzzled by this glitch; I had stumbled upon it by pure fluke and didn't know what had caused it. Since then, I have figured out how the glitch is caused and this video gives an explanation on the glitch.

There are 5 Prayer Wheels in this level, all of which are located at separate destinations. 1 of the Prayer Wheels is in the rooftops area, beyond a star shaped door which blocks the way. You have to use a Gemstone in order to get the star door to move, granting you access to the Prayer Wheel. Another of the Prayer Wheels is behind a block in the flooded room where the silver dragon (secret) is. You have to drain the water in order to be able to move the block and collect the Prayer Wheel. This also requires the use of a Gemstone if you're doing the level without glitches being allowed.

The rooftops area is above the courtyard area; another place within the level. There are 2 possible shortcuts that can get you from the rooftops area to the courtyard area. One of the shortcuts is a glitch, whereas the other shortcut is not. I show you both of the shortcuts. If you use one of those shortcuts after inserting the Gemstone and getting the star door to move, then it results in the water being drained in the room that I mentioned in the previous paragraph. This saves you from having to drain the water yourself. This is not a new discovery; it's been known for many years. However, this is also what caused the glitch that I was puzzled by; the glitch in the dark room with the bunsens and Prayer Wheel. If you get the star door to move by inserting the Gemstone, and use one of the shortcuts to the exercise yard, then you will encounter this glitch if you go to the room with the bunsens. The room will be light. No gunman will spawn when you enter the room. Obtaining the Prayer Wheel won't cause the bunsens to ignite or for the gunman to spawn where the Main Hall Key is.

In order to be able to receive the benefits of this glitch, you have to go to the rooftops area before going to the room with the bunsens. Otherwise the bunsens would've already ignited, and the gunmen already would've spawned. You also have to watch out for 1 thing that can result in the star door moving back to its original position, thus stopping this glitch from working. I show you what that thing is, although it doesn't seem to work 100% of the time. I show you the glitch not working as a result of the star door moving back to its original position. I also show you the glitch working initially, which resulted in me being able to collect the Prayer Wheel from the room while it was light, and without the bunsens igniting or either gunman spawning. However, the glitch and its effects became undone after the star door moved back. The room went back to being dark. The gunman spawned when I re-entered the room. The bunsens hadn't yet ignited, and the gunman near the Main Hall Key hadn't yet spawned. The Prayer Wheel obviously wasn't there (since I had already collected it) but stepping onto the space where the Prayer Wheel used to be resulted in the bunsens igniting, and the other gunman spawning.
Old 22-06-22, 13:26   #3
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

How To Easily Destroy The Machine Guns In The Nevada Levels Of Tomb Raider 3:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGeQXbQUUQA

High Security Compound and Area 51 contain a number of Machine Guns throughout the levels. Destroying the Machine Guns counts as kills on the statistics, and therefore the Machine Guns have to be destroyed if you are trying to complete the game with maximum kills. The Machine Guns could be considered to be 1 of the more difficult enemies, since they are powerful and take a lot of shots to destroy. They shoot at you if you trigger their lasers or shoot at them. However, in this video I show you that there are easy ways of dealing with the Machine Guns.

The Machine Guns can only shoot you if you are within a close enough range. The range that they have is equal to the range that you have; they can only shoot you if you're within a close enough distance in order for you to be able to lock-on to them with your own guns. If you were to simply stand within range of the Machine Guns and shoot at them then they would fire back at you. Although, if you shoot a target and hold onto action and move out of range, then you can still shoot at the target despite being out of range if you didn't let go of action. If you shoot a Machine Gun and hold onto action and move out of range, then you can continue to shoot the Machine Gun but it can't shoot you. I demonstrate this in the video by using this technique to destroy a few of the Machine Guns.

Another technique is to use the MP5 to take out the Machine Guns. The MP5 can lock-on to targets from further away than any other gun; the MP5's range is superior to the ranges of the rest of your guns in this game. This means that you can shoot the Machine Guns with the MP5 without them shooting back at you if you're far enough away to not be within their range, but not so far that you can't lock-on to them yourself with the MP5. If you lock-on to a Machine Gun with an alternative weapon and move backwards until you can no longer aim at the Machine Gun. Then switch your weapon with the MP5, and the Machine Gun is yours to destroy. For what it's worth, the M16 in TR2 has a superior range to the rest of your guns in that game, much like the MP5 in this game. However, the focus of this video is on TR3, not TR2.

The 2 techniques mentioned so far certainly have their uses. However, they're not options against all of the Machine Guns. These methods are only useful if it's possible to get enough distance between yourself and the Machine Guns in order to be able to go out of their ranges. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to get a big enough distance from all of the Machine Guns. That's not to say that all is hopeless. In fact, there is a method of dealing with the Machine Guns in such a case. With the Desert Eagle, shoot the Machine Gun once and quickly move to an area where the Machine Gun can't see you. The Machine Gun will begin to shoot at you but will stop once you've moved to an area where it can't see you. If you're very quick to move to a safe spot then the Machine Gun will only have the time to inflict a tiny bit of damage upon you. If you then move back into a position where you and the Machine Gun can aim at each other again, then you just have to repeat the process and the Machine Gun will soon be destroyed. In the video, I jump in and out of a position where the Machine Gun can see me. I shoot the Machine Gun just before I move out of its sight. That seems to be the best way of minimising the amount of time that the Machine Gun has to shoot at you, and therefore keeps the amount of damage that you sustain to a minimum.

I move onto a different technique; a technique that any gun can be used for. It seems that there are some "blind spots" when dealing with the Machine Guns. It seems that there are some positions that you can get yourself into where you are able to shoot a Machine Gun but it doesn't shoot you. I don't think that this is a possibility against all of the Machine Guns, but I was able to show you myself doing this against a handful of them.

I finish by including clips with the Rocket Launcher, and you get to see how good the Rocket Launcher can be at taking out the Machine Guns. I left these clips until last as the Rocket Launcher is not an obtainable weapon in the Nevada section, which means that it wouldn't be available to you unless you were to do the All Weapons Cheat, or play on New Game+. The Pistols and Desert Eagle are obtainable at the end of High Security Compound, whereas the MP5 is obtainable at the beginning of Area 51. I thought it therefore made more sense to focus on those 3 weapons since you would have access to them when playing the game normally.

Last edited by Greenapple968; 27-06-22 at 15:49.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-22, 12:08   #4
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Shortcut/Glitch Through A Door Without The Gold Key (Temple Of Xian):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VPNcHHB0QQ

There is a door near the start of the level that can only be opened with the Gold Key; an item that requires you to do a large amount of the level in order to obtain. By opening this door and proceeding you are able to collect the Silver Key, which opens a different door that leads towards the later stages of the level. In this video I show you that it's possible to glitch through the door that you would normally have to open with the Gold Key. You can then carry on like normal and help yourself to the Silver Key. When you return, the door would've remained shut but I show you that it's possible to glitch back out. This means that you can pretty much go straight from the start of the level to where the spider cave is, since you won't need the Gold Key if doing this glitch.

This could be seen as unnecessary, since there is a quicker way of completing the level. There is a jump that you can do by the Gold Secret (Dragon) that skips out most of the level, bypassing the need for the Gold Key or Silver Key. None the less, I thought that I would share this discovery because I found it interesting, and I hope that people might be able to find a use for it.
Old 23-06-22, 12:10   #5
tlr online
Administrator

Thumbs up

As awesome as ever, Greenapple968.
tlr online is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-22, 11:20   #6
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Skipping The 3 Enemies In Wreck Of The Maria Doria:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhvMI9YXmk

This link will take you to a video of mine which explains how the Circuit Breaker Dupe Glitch works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEAE47eLgew

3 enemies spawn in the area with the 3 bunsens where you're meant to use Circuit Breakers to extinguish the fires. 2 of the enemies have guns, whereas the other has a bat. To get to this area, you pull an underwater switch which opens a trapdoor above you. Pulling the switch is also what causes the enemies to spawn. By using an underwater flare-wall glitch, it's possible to make it into the area without needing to pull the switch, and therefore without triggering the enemies.

This is not a new discovery. Infact, it's been known for years. So my reason for sharing this video is not to inform you of the glitch that skips out the enemies. Instead, the purpose of this video is to advise you on the different ways of proceeding with the level from here. Even without the presence of the enemies, you still have the issues of the bunsens. There are different ways of proceeding with the level from this point, and I show you all of the ways that I was able to think of.

You could simply collect the 3 Circuit Breakers and use them to extinguish the bunsens. This is very straight forward and shouldn't cause you any difficulties with this part of the level. The downside, is that you'd be required to collect the 3 Circuit Breakers from the previous parts of the level.

A different option is to move the block through the bunsens without catching fire. In the video, I show you that this isn't too hard to do with the correct precision. You do still lose health from being within close proximity of the fires, but your health will stop depleting once you move away. This is a much faster method as it doesn't require you to collect any of the Circuit Breakers. The problem is that you end up losing about 130% of your health, therefore forcing a minimum of 1 full healthpack out of you.

The next method requires you to collect 1 Circuit Breaker. You use the Circuit Breaker on the first keyhole that's available to you, thus extinguishing the nearest bunsen. You then stand where the fire used to be, and proceed by doing a flare-wall glitch. Much like the glitch that got you into the area without triggering the enemies, except it's not underwater this time. This technique won't cost you any health. It just requires 1 Circuit Breaker and a flare.

Alternatively, you could collect 1 Circuit Breaker and either the Rusty Key or the Rest Room Key; you don't need both. You can then use the Circuit Breaker Dupe Glitch to extinguish all 3 bunsens, as if you had every Circuit Breaker. There's a link at the top of the description for a video which explains how this particular glitch works.

The final method requires nothing more than a flare. However, you do have to be very precise as making a tiny mistake with your positioning could result in you losing health, or even catching fire. You have to stand very close to the first bunsen and perform a flare-wall glitch. Being within such a close distance of the bunsen is why there's the risk of you catching fire, or at least losing health. If you can pull this off without taking damage, then this would surely be the best method to go with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
As awesome as ever, Greenapple968.
Thank you. I'm glad you think positively of these videos.
Old 25-06-22, 13:14   #7
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Shotgun Goon Skip Trigger Near The Secret In Wreck Of The Maria Doria:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMg943xTM70

Near the beginning of the level is the path that leads to the silver dragon; silver secret. When you proceed along the path you would normally encounter 2 enemies with shotguns. The first enemy appears when you're near the start of the path. The second enemy spawns when you're deeper into the path; near the secret. I don't think it's possible to avoid triggering the first enemy. However, I have found a way of skipping the second enemy.

In this video, I show you the spot that causes the second enemy to spawn. I also show you how to avoid this spot with a basic glitch. You have to avoid the spot when going for the secret, and you have to avoid the spot again when returning after collecting the secret; otherwise the enemy will spawn. This enables you to collect the silver secret while only having to deal with 1 of the enemies, as opposed to both.
Old 26-06-22, 15:37   #8
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Gunman Skip Trigger Near The Drawbridge Key (Tibetan Foothills):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR5l58j_gFE

There are a fair few gunmen in this level. One of them spawns in the area where you collect the Drawbridge Key. In this video, I show you that you can avoid triggering this enemy with a basic glitch. I show you the enemy's trigger spot, and how to avoid the spot. Thus stopping the gunman from spawning.

This wouldn't be useful in speedrunning as it's possible to glitchlessly complete the level without the need of the Drawbridge Key. Meaning that you'd have no reason to go to where the Drawbridge Key is. However, this could come in handy in a Pacifist Run. In all of the Pacifist Runs that I've done for this game, I always do most of Tibetan Foothills on foot. I leave the snowmobile near the hut and save it for the later parts of the level. When I collect the Hut Key near where the drawbridge is, I'm always on foot and end up under attack from the enemy riding on the snowmobile. I escape by dropping down the ladder that takes me to where the Drawbridge Key is. From there, I backtrack through the level towards the hut. Therefore, this skip trigger could come in handy as it would enable me to skip an enemy that I'd otherwise be at risk from.
Old 27-06-22, 15:50   #9
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Why Do These Enemies Only Spawn If Your Guns Are Out? (Diving Area):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyk7tlrte-M

Near the start of the level it's common for 3 enemies to spawn; 2 gunmen and a dog. However, these enemies will only spawn if you've got your guns out. If you keep your guns in your pockets then the enemies won't trigger. In this video, I show you the enemies not spawning due to me not having my guns out. I then draw my guns out and the enemies trigger.

It's strange that the triggering of the enemies seems to be determined by whether or not you have your guns out. I'm really not sure why these enemies would only spawn if you've got your guns out. Therefore, I decided to produce this video which asks that very question. If anybody has any ideas, then I'd be grateful to hear from you.
Old 28-06-22, 12:49   #10
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Trapping The Enemies In The Room At The Start Of Offshore Rig:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU7C4IxgOME

You begin the level in a locked room containing a number of moveable blocks. You move one of the blocks to get to a switch which opens a door, enabling you to escape from the room. The door doesn't stay open for good; it closes again after a short amount of time. If you are successful in making it out of the room then you encounter 2 enemies.

In this video, I show you that it's possible to trap the 2 enemies in the room at the beginning while escaping from the room yourself. Begin by moving the block so that you can get to the switch, like you would when playing the game normally. After pulling the switch, run outside so that you trigger the 2 enemies, but then return to the room. The door will close, so you have to pull the switch again so that the door re-opens. Wait inside the room for the enemies to enter. Run outside just as the door is closing. If your timing is good then you'll make it outside, and the door will close with the enemies on the inside.

When waiting for the enemies to enter the room, it is possible that they won't enter in time. They might be too slow and the door closes before they enter. If this happens then you'll have to keep pulling the switch until they make it inside. Once the enemies are inside, it is possible that you won't make it out of the room in time; the door might close before you make it outside. In which case you can resolve the problem by simply pulling the switch again. The other thing that can go wrong is that the enemies might make it back outside. If you're timing isn't great, then the enemies might follow you outside of the room before the door closes. So timing is very important when trying to trap the enemies.

The only problem with trapping the enemies in the room is that it results in you not being able to complete the level. One of the enemies drops a Yellow Pass which is needed for opening a different door and proceeding with the level. There's no way of getting back into the room once the door has closed with you on the outside. This means that you wouldn't be able to get to the enemies and kill the 1 who drops the Yellow Pass. It therefore isn't practical to trap the enemies in the room at the beginning, although it can be fun.