www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 14-06-22, 18:27   #4761
Lwmte
Archaeologist

If TR4 level format is what we are talking about, I am afraid we can't do anything. TRNG encryption algorithm became widely known around 1 or 2 years ago, and software like fexinspect already can open it (although not edit it). Even if someone would come with idea to encrypt it again, you can't do that, because that means patching into TRNG, which is impossible, because it's too complex to do.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-22, 19:05   #4762
l.m.
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina Croft View Post
Okay, I understand the reasons, and I also agree with you. We indeed intend to share almost all static and animated objects from Dark City 2 upon release, precisely because we want to motivate other builders and beginner builders to create more levels and games. That's important for the community growth, and we both fully agree with that.

However, let me remind you of several cases where great builders, like Nadine Horus, for example, removed their levels for good and refused to share them further with the community, because some people used the textures and objects without asking her. Nadine is also very famous and renowned a builder, and yet, people ignored her wishes and terms. Lima and I don't fully understand or support her radical decision to remove the levels for good, but after all, she had the right to do it.

Anyway, I'm going to accept Justin's advice and simply make a list of objects which shouldn't be taken or used without our consent. What I can promise, however, is that our consent will be granted in most, if not all cases, especially to beginner builders and new members.

We'll also share the textures for geometry and textures for the objects, in addition to at least 250 static and animated objects. To prove our willingness to share the objects with the community, you can check out the Demo levels, where no object is protected, although the Demo was created with the legacy engine.

Another reason for this restriction is GAMEPLAY. For example, if you open a .tr4 file from Dark City 2 in Wad Tool, you'll be able to see that this object, for instance, is a Sarcophagus, or Crowbar Switch, or Push-Pull door or Shatterable. This will definitely spoil the Gameplay and some players would be able to beat the game simply by cheating. That would be unfair, not only toward the builder who invested months and months in creating new interactive objects, but also toward the other players who want to beat the game in a regular way. Bear in mind that the game will have a very complex reward system and multiple scenarios, and the point of the game is to beat it, and then to play it again, to try another scenario or to collect secrets and rewards which you failed to collect the first time. I'm not kidding about this, and I'm not exaggerating. I'm an alpha tester, which means that I can access the PRJ file and test the objects/animations in Wad Tool and the level itself, that I test the geometry as it is being built, etc. So, when I played a finished level after alpha testing it, I still haven't found ALL secrets Lima hid on that level. This is how complex the reward system is. I also discovered some alternative routes and shortcuts and alternative uses of certain objects, which Lima himself didn't know exist, although he built the darn thing

(by the way, we have been living together for three years now, and will be married next year, and we'll blame Dark City 2 for this till death do us part )
I am very happy to hear that you will share the objects! I think it will be a very big addition to the community. Thanks!!
Old 14-06-22, 22:27   #4763
AkyV

I have just made fresh TE 1.5 full folders on my PC, by both the options, for a test reason:
- zip
- install exe (all the features ticked)

The differences in the root structure I noticed:
- Native subfolder: only in ZIP
- Changes.txt: only in EXE
- TombIDE Library Registration.exe.config: only in ZIP
- TombIDE.exe.config: only in ZIP
(- uninstall.exe: naturally only for EXE...)
AkyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-22, 17:27   #4764
Nemo20
Historian

I also had the position at the time that I didn't want my textures/objects etc. to be ripped. But meanwhile I'm even so far that after my TMB project was published, I publish everything a few months later, including the project files.
For the reason that other people can also use them, i.e. objects, textures and much more.
Only the project files are only there for learning purposes.

I myself am very happy about the great community that a lot has improved in the last 10 years. I've been in the community since 2000, or since the Level Editor has existed.
Back then it wasn't as open as it is today. I am therefore very happy that many great new objects and much more are being created.

But I still stand by one point. Of course, if someone wants something from my levels, the first thing to do is to ask the level builder and then of course give credits if they agree.

@Nina, thank you both for sharing the materials. The new objects are very nice and I think I can use one or the other for my TMB project

I wish you both the best of luck in your new life path. That you have been happy for a long time
Nemo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-22, 19:08   #4765
AkyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkyV View Post
I have just made fresh TE 1.5 full folders on my PC, by both the options, for a test reason:
- zip
- install exe (all the features ticked)

The differences in the root structure I noticed:
- Native subfolder: only in ZIP
- Changes.txt: only in EXE
- TombIDE Library Registration.exe.config: only in ZIP
- TombIDE.exe.config: only in ZIP
(- uninstall.exe: naturally only for EXE...)
Three further thoughts on "Choose components" wizard panel:
- The note about TombIDE is obsolete. I mean, it is not only for TRNG any more.
- The note about Stock Assets is obsolete. I mean, it is not only for TR1 sounds any more.
- Associate File Types (ticked): after the installation, and seeing File Association.exe, TRPROJ is seemingly not added.

Last edited by AkyV; 16-06-22 at 19:10.
AkyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-22, 21:12   #4766
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

I am always for the idea of you being able to protect your work, but I also like to share whatever I do.

But, when you think about it, wanting to prevent people from taking whatever you do is kinda ridiculous. Literally almost all the PC games we have are subject to any kinds of modding, ripping, etc, so why do LE builders want to prevent that?

As far as I can tell, anything you do using the Level Editor is Eidos' property so technically all of those statics that you put the effort don't belong to you the moment you share it

But whatever, if you want to preserve your statics, I would advise you maybe to use them as imported geometry instead, that way no one can rip it unless they somehow manage to get the geometry mesh
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-22, 01:06   #4767
Milan P Lima
Hobbyist

Arrow Hello, everyone

Hello, everyone,

I was using NGLE for years to build Dark City 2, and refused to use TE, because I was afraid that some things would not be possible in the Script, and I also hadn't discovered everything the powerful NGLE Scripter can do. I also asked Nina Croft to "investigate the matter" for me, so she installed the TE and tried it. She also asked several questions about NGLE and TE for me on this forum. And finally she and you convinced me to transit to TE. The turning point was when I realized that TE uses the same powerful Scripter.

So I want to thank you all for this great support and help you gave me via Nina, and I promise you that Dark City 2 is being "under construction". I am going to build a great game for us all, a game I myself would enjoy playing. Without your help, answers and tutorials that wouldn't be possible.

I am also grateful for all your hard work on the TE, plugins, patches and resources. I can finally see the entire level on Editor's 3D screen, which is extremely helpful and makes my work so much easier. There are many great features TE offers me, and still, the good old powerful Scripter is the same. Much time will be saved on my end, and I am now able to realize some great ideas for Dark City 2.

The reason why it takes so long with the DC2 building is that I have little free time to dedicate to TRLE. I have a family, a job and other personal responsibilities that leave little free time for hobbies. But I am really strongly motivated to finish the building. I cannot give any promises or announcements regarding the release year. I am working diligently on DC2 and invest hours and weeks of work on building it.

Thank you all for everything! Without your support, I would never come this far with the game. I would remain hopelessly stuck and would have to sacrifice many great ideas, because I would not know how to make the Editor work for me. I dedicate Dark City 2 to Nina and all of you whose advice and support kept me building this far.

Sneak preview of DC2 level "Underground Area"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGqoRBxo1Ro
Sneak preview of DC2 level "Power Generator Area"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9gcRJla5oQ
Old 23-06-22, 02:32   #4768
justin
Professor

Cheers Lima, glorious work
Old 23-06-22, 04:55   #4769
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Hi Lima! Thank you for your kind words and welcome to TE camp!

I understand that it may be hard to adapt to new workflow, but in the end TE allows you much more than old TRLE/NGLE, but first of all - it saves your time. No need to struggle with endless crashes, slowdowns, clunky UI, endless backups etc. And lots of shortcuts, tools and workarounds also really help to speed up your building process. So migrating to TE is especially helpful for builders who have little free time.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-22, 06:15   #4770
Nina Croft
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan P Lima View Post
Hello, everyone,
I also asked Nina Croft to "investigate the matter" for me, so she installed the TE and tried it. She also asked several questions about NGLE and TE for me on this forum. And finally she and you convinced me to transit to TE.
It took me a whole year to persuade you to transit to TE I believe that nobody advertised TE as well and passionately as I did to you