www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 14-04-21, 12:44   #1
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Default TR2:The Golden Mask Current Playthrough

Been redoing this for the first time in at least a couple of years, probably my least played TR1 - TR5 content.

Its really rather good and maybe because I haven't redone it for so long and forgotten the secret locations it feels fresh I'm getting a lot of satisfaction finding them.

Playing it 'no scratch' ie. minimal damage also adds to the challenge although in at least two cases I've found no way to avoid that: getting the grenade launcher in Furnace Of the Gods without damage annoyed me particularly as the damage you get is minor.

I searched for a no scratch YT video for that and learned that apparently you can get the grenade launcher earlier in Fool's Gold. Annoyingly I made the two other pickups in that location but missed the actual weapon pickup itself. Doh!

The area in Furnace Of The Gods is an evil piece of design. It seems they deliberately made several of the jumps there look doable but are actually just a bit too long. Possibly they can be done with pixel perfect timing but its safer not too try.

The grenade launcher pickup requires a hang drop but because the ledge you do it from starts to rise over the platform below you get a small loss of health due to the height.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 17:05   #2
laravision
Archaeologist

While I'm not sure what approaches you take, these two no damage runs may be of guidance. I'm also not sure if they collect the grenade launcher pickup you made mention of.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/929715620

Old 15-04-21, 12:58   #3
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Thanks for that.

The main damage you apparently can't avoid if you're trying to make all the pickups too is in Cold War. There's an icy chasm where you have to hang drop onto the floor. Even if you do that from the lowest point or the point above the highest point of the floor it takes off 85% health.

The chasm is to the left of the area at about 12' 30" in that YT video. The guy doesn't even go there. He also doesn't go into the Fool's Gold area with the first grenade launcher pickup opportunity either.

However.........................he does pick up the grenade launcher in the Furnace Of The Gods without damage by another, stupidly easy route (at about 44') I missed because my monitor brightness is set fairly low. I just couldn't see the rock slide in the far left corner which allows you to get to the grenade launcher that way. I'd assumed it was all molten there. .

Embarrassing - never mind.

Last edited by fallenangle; 15-04-21 at 13:00.
Old 20-04-21, 11:49   #4
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Finished the main levels pretty much no scratch ie. minimal damage throughout. All secrets collected and as every time I've played this before "Nighmare In Vegas" was still not unlocked.

I'd downloaded years ago the save to be able to play that and done so several times. But I've never been sure what the problem is that stops the extra level being made available even though you've fulfilled the unlocking criteria.

Is it just a glitch and is there something that triggers it?
Old 20-04-21, 12:05   #5
UroshUchiha
Historian

The note from Stella's website:
Also note that there is a potential bug when using the Golden Mask download with the GOG or Steam TR2 game. Even if you find all the secrets, the game may only count 9 of them, meaning you will not automatically unlock the bonus level. Again, you can download a save file to play it.
UroshUchiha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-21, 13:51   #6
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Thanks for that.

I actually found my own thread on these matters from 2017 asking a similar question. That was not the first or last time I played The Golden Mask in full but the same all secrets problem bothered me then.

Indeed the final stats showed 9 out of 9 found.

I've removed and reinstalled it from my original disc at least once since then so it does seem likely the culprit is the No CD patched EXE. One of the pleasures of playing TR on PC is not having to do it using the TR2/TGM discs so I suppose this glitch is a small price to pay for that convenience.

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=217031
Old 20-04-21, 15:45   #7
Arsunt
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
Thanks for that.

I actually found my own thread on these matters from 2017 asking a similar question. That was not the first or last time I played The Golden Mask in full but the same all secrets problem bothered me then.

Indeed the final stats showed 9 out of 9 found.

I've removed and reinstalled it from my original disc at least once since then so it does seem likely the culprit is the No CD patched EXE. One of the pleasures of playing TR on PC is not having to do it using the TR2/TGM discs so I suppose this glitch is a small price to pay for that convenience.

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=217031
If you use the the original game exe instead of the the Golden Mask exe, there will be issues:
  • No bonus level activation logic. Also secrets are not counted right in final statistics.
  • Wolf and bear AI are completely broken, because they use spider and giant spider AI.
  • Monk spirits (white semitransparent guys) drop shadows, but they must not.
  • credit00.pcx is skipped in credits slideshow.
  • sideflips and backflips work wrong if your exe is multipatched one.
In my opinion if you really want to play the unchanged golden mask, then play it with unchanged exe. If you want to play it in modern way, play it with TR2Main, it has no issues that I listed. Here is guide.
Old 21-04-21, 00:04   #8
fallenangle
Archaeologist

I guess the No CD version TR2.exe is what is being used because I have that issue with the non-working Lara's Home option appearing in the main menu.

Yes, had problems with the bears, both got stuck in the scenery very quickly. Wolves didn't activate at all - sleeping on the job.

Monk Spirits too, barely could tell where they were as shadows were all missing.

But no problem with backflips or sideflips that I noticed.

Thanks for the TR2Main guide. I'll probably install it on another PC as I don't want to mess up the existing installation.

Can't see any reference to it but does using it resolve the double launch Windows gameux.dll problem? I use the simple work around of just renaming it. But if you run system file checker at any time it will report a problem that has been fixed and you'll find a fresh copy has been installed. This is a bit annoying.
Old 22-04-21, 14:32   #9
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Finished my 'no scratch' run through yesterday.

Still couldn't find a way of avoiding the sliver of damage you get in .....Vegas from the glass shards when collecting the circuit board thing.

Pleased though that I managed to collect all four items in the final area no damage. Didn't do that before as there's simply not enough time to collect all the three near each other at the same time before the monster turns up.

There's a very reliable technique for avoiding damage when picking up the golden skull which I remembered using before. You need to run, jump, flip or tumble and land on the skull so you're facing back towards the exit of the cage.

By that time the approaching beast is usually too close to avoid it inflicting some damage most attempts except if you time it right picking up the skull.

When she is kneeling down picking it up the monster will walk straight over Lara and also be facing away. You have a decent amount of time to start your run back to the safety of the elevator. From there it is easy to kill it with any weapon.

That's when I collected the last of those three pickups too. The beast disappears down the corridor back towards the cage if you shoot it and that gives you enough time to run along the passage and get the third item. You do have to avoid getting tagged on the way out back to the elevator but you've done that once already.

You can use the same kneeling pickup technique again too but the area is smaller and the beast turns around quicker, slashing out at Lara as she's running away.

Last edited by fallenangle; 22-04-21 at 14:34.