www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Old 08-05-21, 06:13   #1351
tomblover
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
So the original idea for Tomb Raider 3 was supposed to be Lara on an island exploring its mysteries and Tomb Raider 2 1/2 (which became 3) was dlc for Tomb Raider 2. I dont get why they were bothering with dlc (in 1998 no less) when they had the gold games already.
To be fair, the Gold expansions didn't release until way after the original games. We got UB on Dec 31st 1998, GM on June 4th 1999, and TLA in March of 2000.

They weren't developing these expansions alongside the original games. When work began on TR2 in late '97 or early '98 or whatever, that was still a full year before even UB was released.

Last edited by tomblover; 08-05-21 at 06:15.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 08:57   #1352
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
So the original idea for Tomb Raider 3 was supposed to be Lara on an island exploring its mysteries and Tomb Raider 2 1/2 (which became 3) was dlc for Tomb Raider 2. I dont get why they were bothering with dlc (in 1998 no less) when they had the gold games already. It is interesting to hear them talk about TRAE. I thought it would be off limits!
Yes they wanted the official third TR title to be released much later, not keeping to the yearly releases. But since they had to release something, they made it "adventures of Lara Croft", which is why TR3 is pretty similar to TR2 just with loads more content and the story allowing you to chose your own path. But probably because of the higher ups they gave it the title of TR3.

Also yeah the Gold expansions I'm pretty sure were outsourced and made by an American company. Can't remember where I read it. But it makes sense as these were released years later when Core had already moved on.
Old 08-05-21, 09:40   #1353
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

It’s interesting that the Temple of Xian was actually longer than what we got. I mean, I do think it would have dragged on too long if they’d have kept the original. That level is perfect the way it is (yes, I’ve just said something nice about TR2).

I love the Giant Toilet line, The Cistern was the first level to spring to mind when he said it.

Also; Lara on an island exploring its mysteries? Hmm, sounds familiar .
Old 08-05-21, 15:42   #1354
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Really awesome. I never thought I would EVER see the orignal Core Design members speaking in a video interview, so many years later.

Really liked hearing so many stuff about it all. I wonder if they'll be back to talk about TR4-6, at the AOD celebration month. It would be really nice for them to talk about these three too.

I really appreciate the fact that Richard likes the survivor trilogy and says Tomb Raider is on the right track with it (even though this is a bit shady towards LAU, which I loved to death)

Last edited by Vaskito; 08-05-21 at 15:44.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 16:49   #1355
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Really awesome. I never thought I would EVER see the orignal Core Design members speaking in a video interview, so many years later.

Really liked hearing so many stuff about it all. I wonder if they'll be back to talk about TR4-6, at the AOD celebration month. It would be really nice for them to talk about these three too.

I really appreciate the fact that Richard likes the survivor trilogy and says Tomb Raider is on the right track with it (even though this is a bit shady towards LAU, which I loved to death)
I've said many times now that, besides focusing on a younger, rebooted version of Lara, the reboot games are more similar in vision to what Core was trying to evolve Tomb Raider into that others might realise. Especially TLR and AoD. I mean, we have hub-based gameplay, with stealth and light-rpg mechanics, and a more narrative-driven experience focused on exploring and developing Lara's more human side.

Of course different teams and technological advancements mean that execution-wise there are some differences, but you can see how the core ideas between both sets of games are pretty similar. Knowing that, it's not that surprising that a older dev does seem to like, at least gameplay-wise, where the new games are headed.
Old 08-05-21, 17:10   #1356
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Yup, the intention with TR was always to be in a story heavy/cinematic direction, to which they were limited to do cuz of tech. But AoD especially really shows they would eventually steer that way.

However this also makes me wonder why Rich made such a salty post 2 years ago on Facebook about Crystal, etc. and now he’s saying the reboot trilogy is the direction of what TR should be. I wonder if his post two years ago was simply a hot headed moment? It’s a bit inconsistent, or if that fb post was mostly directed at LAU - which is also funny and weird, because LAU had Toby’s blueprint all over it, unlike the reboot trilogy

Last edited by Vaskito; 08-05-21 at 17:13.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 00:26   #1357
SSfox
Hobbyist

Watching the whole thing this morning, that was cool, and i love the community manager girl she really seems passionate and ask good questions. A lot of cool facts behind the studio and development during this interview.

Yeah it was weird to see them focus on DLC at that kind of time, i didn't even knew DLC was something back then.

It's crazy to think that such amazing games were create with barely 5 to 20 people, nowadays you have some games with 500 hundreds people and lot of those super AAA games barely has anything magical going on and stay memorable, it make sens that games become more expansive to make and need more people to work in as the technologie evolve, but i also think a lot of devs focus too much on things that don't really matter much in a game. One of the very few devs that still have that old school dev magic like Core design is Fromsoftware, they're not the team with biggest number of devs, and their games aren't the most ultra AAA productions, but they're some of best games ever made in the last years and one of those games that i want to comeback to time to time like i do with Core TR games.

Last edited by SSfox; 09-05-21 at 00:27.
SSfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 00:35   #1358
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Loved listening to these guys and all their knowledge on the beginnings of TR
Thanks Megan for doing this!

I enjoyed the bit about how the grid system is used as the language of Lara and how she traverses the environment shes in. That was so well said and its something I really miss in TR. The thrill of knowing how to handle the environment and platforming is something I loved about Classic TR.
Most games now just have scripted jumps or unrealistic expectations for how the character moves. It takes the thrill out of platforming.

I wish I could see what the full Temple and Xian was like as well!!
Old 09-05-21, 07:27   #1359
laracroftswest
Professor

Nice article from SuperJumpMagazine on the 25th anniversary of Tomb Raider. Nothing new, just nice to see some appreciation for the work that went into this amazing game:
https://superjumpmagazine.com/revisi...r-57ca38328974
Old 14-05-21, 06:16   #1360
Brendanlovesu1
Archaeologist

Square Enix filed for their 4th trademark extension for "TRUE: Tomb Raider Ultimate Experience" on May 10th, which was approved. They have until September to use it, or it'll expire for good. TRUE made headlines last year, could something be in the pipeline for #TR25? Hopefully they'll announce ports soon

https://www.reddit.com/r/TombRaider/...m_source=share
Brendanlovesu1 is offline   Reply With Quote