www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 03-08-21, 03:01   #11
gr00tcake
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Little opposite but..the late october TR3 beta contains JONELL's (seemingly), climb up grunt in Lara's Home.

Many have seen that as a *stares in soon to be let go judith* vibe.
But it may not be Jonell at all I guess
The climbing grunt in TR3 was originally high pitched in the beta demos, but they lowered it for the final version, but then pitching it again for TR4. It is indeed the same grunt performed by Judith. However, the lower pitched version of the grunt was kept during the TR4 betas. Weird how they just kept messing with the pitch of her soundbites haha. Even in one of the TR3 betas of Area 51, her soundbites were completely different and very girly as seen below:

https://youtu.be/EbmcDQa7PWY

Last edited by gr00tcake; 03-08-21 at 03:03.
gr00tcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 04:11   #12
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr00tcake View Post
The climbing grunt in TR3 was originally high pitched in the beta demos, but they lowered it for the final version, but then pitching it again for TR4. It is indeed the same grunt performed by Judith. However, the lower pitched version of the grunt was kept during the TR4 betas. Weird how they just kept messing with the pitch of her soundbites haha. Even in one of the TR3 betas of Area 51, her soundbites were completely different and very girly as seen below:

https://youtu.be/EbmcDQa7PWY
Sorry I mean, Lara's Home specifically in the tr3 late oct beta has the TR4 climb up grunt (the same one also used in almost every custom level too)

FULL beta, not demo betas.

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 03-08-21 at 04:12.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 14:34   #13
gr00tcake
Student

Quote:
Sorry I mean, Lara's Home specifically in the tr3 late oct beta has the TR4 climb up grunt (the same one also used in almost every custom level too)

FULL beta, not demo betas.
Yes it's the same grunt as the final TR3, just been pitched around throughout the process of both TR3 and 4
Old 03-08-21, 19:31   #14
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Little opposite but..the late october TR3 beta contains JONELL's (seemingly), climb up grunt in Lara's Home.

Many have seen that as a *stares in soon to be let go judith* vibe.
But it may not be Jonell at all I guess
Thatís exactly the climbing up sound we were talking about. Thatís Judithís voice, but the pitch was lowered for the final version of Tomb Raider 3, and reverted back to that pitch for Tomb Raider 4 since it fit Jonellís voice.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 18:08   #15
Joey79100
Professor

I think the retail TR3 pitch was the "real one" (ie. the way it was recorded), and the higher pitched sound in general were just experiments, because they don't sound like Judith at all compared to their lower pitched versions.

They were playing a lot with pitch in order to get lower/better quality with the same "base" frequency (in the level file all sounds have to have the same frequency, but changing pitch naturally "changes" the frequency dynamically).
Even in retail TR4, the sound files for the grunts are usually very low pitched, and then pitched up in-game. But the "pitched" up version is actually the original pitch, you can hear that when listening to the TR4 recordings (those recently released by Peter Conelly on Ash's website).

Then the climb up sound from TR3 was reused in TR4 with a higher pitch (even higher than in TR3's beta) probably because it just fitted very well with Jonell's voice.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-21, 02:27   #16
Kirishima
Explorer

If I remember correctly, that climb up sound was also used as the Impale sound, which was carried all the way over to TR5. It used a lower pitch though...
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-21, 05:24   #17
gr00tcake
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
If I remember correctly, that climb up sound was also used as the Impale sound, which was carried all the way over to TR5. It used a lower pitch though...
You're right, I never noticed that! I guess the cringe squelching blood noise that went along with impaling masked it haha