www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 05-11-20, 23:41   #71
LateRaider
Professor

I found a small bit of info. Just some trivia on the name, really, because I've for certain found the originating source on this particular version of it.

The Gamepressure guide for TR:A calls him Larson Dawson. I can only find sites sourcing this guide for the surname and it never caught on. https://guides.gamepressure.com/tomb...de.asp?ID=3147

I also found a TRF thread talking about this oddity here. Shame on Mytly for lying! https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=153006

Last edited by LateRaider; 10-11-20 at 01:25.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 00:14   #72
Rai

Well, Larson Dawson seems quite a tongue twister of a name, which probably contributed to why it didn't catch on, or is easily forgotten.
Old 08-01-21, 00:09   #73
Famicom
Historian

I've had this Spanish guide for ages. It was edited in 1997 in Spain by the same distribution company that got us the game here back then: Proein Software. Apart from the cover, the book has no pictures whatsoever. Only text. By the looks of it, I'd say it has been poorly translated from English, but anyway. Here it is:

Now, about the Conway mystery: Larson's surname is mentioned in this webpage dedicated to Spanish dubbing/voiceover acting:

https://www.eldoblaje.com/datos/Fich...a.asp?id=12294

I don't think that specific webpage has been altered or updated in anyway since 2007. That's why I chose it over imdb and others. It doesn't prove anything we didn't know already, so...

I need to find some time to go through the tons of files related to TRA that I collected back in the day. Gotta find them first, though

Last edited by Famicom; 08-01-21 at 00:16.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 02:03   #74
Zebra
Legend

I love that we all just assumed it to be his first name when it's his last name LOL . Great job investigating, LateRaider !
Old 16-01-21, 21:09   #75
LateRaider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famicom View Post
I've had this Spanish guide for ages. It was edited in 1997 in Spain by the same distribution company that got us the game here back then: Proein Software.
Thanks for this! It's nice to see that the Larson spelling quickly took root.

Quote:
Now, about the Conway mystery: Larson's surname is mentioned in this webpage dedicated to Spanish dubbing/voiceover acting:

https://www.eldoblaje.com/datos/Fich...a.asp?id=12294

I don't think that specific webpage has been altered or updated in anyway since 2007. That's why I chose it over imdb and others. It doesn't prove anything we didn't know already, so...
They may have gotten the info from the Dr. Cheese thread, so I can't really say this is credible. Thank you, though.

Quote:
I need to find some time to go through the tons of files related to TRA that I collected back in the day. Gotta find them first, though
I would very much appreciate it! ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I love that we all just assumed it to be his first name when it's his last name LOL . Great job investigating, LateRaider !
thanks Zebra. in hindsight it's strange people thought it was his first name
Old 16-01-21, 23:20   #76
Enya Brennan
Relic Hunter

Not sure this will be a worthy contribution to the investigation, but I suddenly remembered I had my copy of the 20 Years of Tomb Raider book lying around and thought that maybe there’s a mention of the character somewhere inside. It says the following:
Quote:
He proceeded to tell how she claimed [the Philosopher’s Stone] in Rome, tailed by longtime rivals Larson Conway and Pierre DuPont.
The full page can be read here. The text above can be found in the lower right corner. The book was written by our very dear Meagan Marie, so perhaps this could be considered some sort of confirmation or she just knew as much as we do.

(Apologies if it’s already been posted)
Old 17-01-21, 00:00   #77
LateRaider
Professor

Enya, thank you! No, it hasn't been posted yet. Well goddamn. I guess if it shows up in official materials, that means it's canon now, doesn't it? Regardless of its origins. She does get Pierre's surname wrong (To my knowledge it's always been Dupont with a lowercase p, and it's spelled as such in Anniversary.) but otherwise this is the smoking gun.

My mind is blown. This has to be one of the few cases of fanon unintentionally becoming canon. Probably all because Megan used TR Wikis and official fansites to verify her sources. Whoa.

Edit -
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
...Lmao, that makes me think of something silly. Wouldn't it be funny if it turns out Dr. Cheese made it up and even the official TR staff thought Conway was created internally?
LOOOOOOL NOT ME PREDICTING THIS WOULD HAPPEN

Last edited by LateRaider; 17-01-21 at 08:15.
Old 17-01-21, 09:09   #78
Mek
Historian

Quote:
Enya, thank you! No, it hasn't been posted yet. Well goddamn. I guess if it shows up in official materials, that means it's canon now, doesn't it? Regardless of its origins. She does get Pierre's surname wrong (To my knowledge it's always been Dupont with a lowercase p, and it's spelled as such in Anniversary.) but otherwise this is the smoking gun.
It showed up only in a guide and not in the game. And it showed up only once and in the relation to Tomb Raider Chronicles. That Larson has never had a surname. Sorry, I have doubts if it makes it official. I would say that it is just an error in the guide.

Last edited by Mek; 17-01-21 at 11:04.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 14:49   #79
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:

My mind is blown. This has to be one of the few cases of fanon unintentionally becoming canon. Probably all because Megan used TR Wikis and official fansites to verify her sources. Whoa.
I've read Pierres surname with an uppercase P several times.

You guys could ask Meagan on Twitter where she got the information about Larson's surname from.
Old 17-01-21, 20:57   #80
LateRaider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
It showed up only in a guide and not in the game. And it showed up only once and in the relation to Tomb Raider Chronicles. That Larson has never had a surname. Sorry, I have doubts if it makes it official. I would say that it is just an error in the guide.
it's the closest to an answer we have. in my opinion, it's official enough if it's by official crystal dynamics staff, regardless of whether or not she got it by checking wikiraider or the tomb raider fandom wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
I've read Pierres surname with an uppercase P several times.
DuPont is fanon. it's always been Dupont. check the subtitles in TR:A and the scrolling text in the nGage port of TRI

Quote:
You guys could ask Meagan on Twitter where she got the information about Larson's surname from.
i did and she ignored me

Last edited by LateRaider; 18-01-21 at 08:30.