Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 17-09-21, 15:21   #1
snacky

Default "Soft lock" bug and not-working cheatcodes on Sega Saturn

Hi everyone,

I recently started playing through Tomb Raider on the Sega Saturn for the first time. It was going pretty well until I got to the end of St. Francis' Folly. I had collected all of the 4 keys and used them in the locks, but the door does not open. All of the barriers are drawn so there is no reason for the door to stay closed, and I have no-where to go. So it seems that the game is soft-locked and I cannot go through the door which would take me to the next level. My only guess is that I collected the keys in the 'wrong order' and the game got confused by this.

I thought that since this is the very end of the level anyway that it would be fair to use a cheatcode to skip the level. However, I cannot find any cheatcode that I can actually get to work. I found a bunch of Sega Saturn TR cheatcodes but none of them seem to work for some reason. Do I have a special version of the game which has no cheats?

Has anyone else had either of these problems?
snacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-21, 18:43   #2
CircusBabysGal

I dont think the game being confused is the case, the triggers for keys work that its placed underneath the key holes and its just simple that if the key is blue, and it goes into the blue key hole, it works, perhaps your copy of the game is damaged?
CircusBabysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-21, 22:35   #3
snacky

I don't think my copy of the game is damaged. It has worked perfectly up to this point. I'm hoping that someone else on this forum also has TR1 for Sega Saturn and can tell me if they can get any of the various cheatcodes found on the internet to work, so I can just skip the level.
Old 18-09-21, 00:00   #4
Uzi master

Did you draw your guns on any of the keyhole squares? Doing so stops the triggers from working until you put them away if you did it right after using the key. Try running over them again without any guns drawn. If you saved your game after causing the bug it may not work though.

Last edited by Uzi master; 18-09-21 at 00:02.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-21, 09:15   #5
snacky

I tried again with running over them again without guns drawn and it still does not open. My last save is at a point where I've used the Damocles and Thor keys, so I need to get the Neptune and Atlas keys again each time I try.

I notice that after loading my save and fetching the Neptune and Atlas keys and using them, those two locks are 'inactive' and I can't interact with them anymore. However, if I use the action button on the Damocles and Thor keys then the inventory screen pops up as if they are still locked (and Lara says "No").

It's as if the game forgot that I used those keys already.
Old 18-09-21, 11:04   #6
ANoDE
Golden

Maybe there's a bug in the game, so it forgets that you used the keys when saving.
In this case, loading a save from when you haven't used any keys yet might fix the issue (worst case you'll have to replay the level).

As a general rule of thumb: Do not save while inserting keys /pulling levers etc. This easily confuses the game.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-21, 11:35   #7
Jami393

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
As a general rule of thumb: Do not save while inserting keys /pulling levers etc. This easily confuses the game.
Which is something you can't do on the console version of TR1. Both the SEGA Saturn and PlayStation versions rely on the save crystals.

In this situation, the best thing to do is probably restart the level. I know it's a pain, but it'll be worth it for progression.
Jami393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-21, 12:05   #8
ANoDE
Golden

Oh, my bad. Well, then at least now we know this was not the issue 😅

However you reach the four doors, I recommend inserting all 4 keys without doing anything else in between. That should prevent a possible savegame bug from happening.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-21, 20:50   #9
Uzi master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Oh, my bad. Well, then at least now we know this was not the issue 😅

However you reach the four doors, I recommend inserting all 4 keys without doing anything else in between. That should prevent a possible savegame bug from happening.
Actually, if it is the bug I was thinking of, it would still technically be that glitch; saving after using the key but before the trigger activates...
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-21, 21:11   #10
Jami393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
Actually, if it is the bug I was thinking of, it would still technically be that glitch; saving after using the key but before the trigger activates...
If that is the glitch, it can't be done on console. It's not as if you can save anywhere like the PC version.
Jami393 is offline   Reply With Quote