www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 02-08-21, 06:41   #1
gr00tcake
Student

Default Judith Gibbins

From what I can remember from the Lara Croft PT interview with Judith, it turns out she did in fact audition for Last Revelation, but they chose Jonell instead. I love both VAs but considering LR was intended on ending the series, why would they opt for changing Lara's voice, especially to a more youthful, girly tone which contrasted from the more mature voice from 2 and 3? Wouldn't it have made sense to keep Judith in order to retain consistency? For them to have kept Judith for two of the instalments and then replace her never made sense to me... Plus they kept Judith's soundbite for climbing but pitched it, which makes me think they wanted a more feminine voice for Lara, but why when they were planning on ending her?

If Shelley would have stayed, would she have been replaced by Jonell by the fourth game too? Was Jonell only brought in to voice young Lara but CORE was more fond of her portrayal?

Last edited by gr00tcake; 02-08-21 at 06:50.
gr00tcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 06:53   #2
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

They probably didn't want to pay two voice actresses, and must have thought that Judith didn't sound right for young lara.
Old 02-08-21, 11:16   #3
Jathom95
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
They probably didn't want to pay two voice actresses, and must have thought that Judith didn't sound right for young lara.
That's actually the exact reason Core picked Jonell over Judith, that last part. She was able to manipulate her voice pitch well enough to fit younger Lara so they went with her. Them liking her voice and tone was just a plus.

Judith did a great job as Lara, but I'll always be grateful that Core allowed Jonell to shine for the next few games. Her range is just spectacular when it comes to voicing Lara.

Also, the bit about Core ending Lara has always been up in the air. No one really knows if they meant forever or just a good while. Ostensibly, The Last Revelation was titled that solely because Core was sick to death of Tomb Raider and it was supposed to be Lara's last great adventure before being "killed off", which accounts for the game's length. Core have admitted since that they loved Lara, the character, they just hated being forced to churn out the same game every year.

Last edited by Jathom95; 02-08-21 at 11:30.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 17:27   #4
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
This. It would’ve cost them too much money to have both actresses so they picked Jonell who could manipulate her voice well.

Judith still has the climbing up sound effect in Tomb Raider 4, but then that’s not the first time they have re-used sounds. Watch the cutscene at the end of Aldwych in Tomb Raider 3, all the sound effects are Shelley ! Also some of the sounds weren’t even done by any of them and were voiced by Heather Gibson instead.

Last edited by TombHackR; 02-08-21 at 17:30.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 20:53   #5
gr00tcake
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
Also some of the sounds weren’t even done by any of them and were voiced by Heather Gibson instead.
Really? Never knew that. Do you know which sound effects she did?
Old 02-08-21, 22:43   #6
medioka_music
Hobbyist

To add to the example that TombHackR has made about reused sounds Lara's scream would be the most obvious one. It's the same exact scream in the first 5 games. The only difference is that in Chronicles it's been made higher pitched to make Lara sound younger.
medioka_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 22:44   #7
Jathom95
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by medioka_music View Post
To add to the example that TombHackR has made about reused sounds Lara's scream would be the most obvious one. It's the same exact scream in the first 5 games. The only difference is that in Chronicles it's been made higher pitched to make Lara sound younger.
The one where like if she falls from a big height or something?
Old 02-08-21, 22:53   #8
medioka_music
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
The one where like if she falls from a big height or something?
Yeah that's the one. Then there's other examples when you look at beta versions. I vaguely remember the smaller metal lever sound effect in TR2 being used as the lever sound effect in one of the TR1 betas. We're talking about voice sounds I know but it's the same principle. Sometimes it's more convenient, quicker and cheaper to go with what's already at your disposal.
medioka_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 23:26   #9
Kirishima
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
Also some of the sounds weren’t even done by any of them and were voiced by Heather Gibson instead.
I remember posting a german video with an interview confirming this... or maybe that was Susie Hamilton. I don't remember. I do remember removing the link shortly after when someone pointed out the video featured the nude raider mod. My favorite part of it was her saying they dragged her into the recording booth and "tortured" her for the proper sounds. EDIT: It's been years since I watched the video, so I don't remember what exactly she said.

Last edited by Kirishima; 02-08-21 at 23:28.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 02:22   #10
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Little opposite but..the late october TR3 beta contains JONELL's (seemingly), climb up grunt in Lara's Home.

Many have seen that as a *stares in soon to be let go judith* vibe.
But it may not be Jonell at all I guess

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 03-08-21 at 02:24.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote