www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old Yesterday, 16:50   #141
not again!
Archaeologist

A heads-up for Blender users that don't follow its development closely: Blender v3.0 got released a few days ago, with lots of new features and improvements.
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:33   #142
Kubsy
Historian

Hi I am not sure if it's the right thread but I really need help.

I don't know what is going on but in blender I have a very simple cube which is 8 vertices, when I import it to wadtool, it says 24 vertices!! I don't know what the hell it's going on.

Same with other stuff, I had simple easter eggs which were 77 vertices (3 of them) and wadtool calculated them as a whooping 300 vertices wtf.

I also check on wadtool's vertex remap and each vertice has duplicated to 3, even though I am not duplicating vertices.

Could someone help?

PS: I am very new to blender

Last edited by Kubsy; Yesterday at 17:36.
Kubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:09   #143
not again!
Archaeologist

^^ Using flat shading and sharp edges will increase the vertex count in Tomb Editor, because you can only have sharp edges in the tomb engine by splitting the vertices, doubling and trippling the vertex count. Cube = six faces with four vertices -> 6 x 4 = 24. You can switch between flat and smooth shading by selecting your model in Object Mode and right click:

^^click for bigger view

While smooth shading is best for vertex count it's not always the best looking option; some edges just need to be sharp and the improved aesthetic might be worth the increase in vertex count. In that case it's best to set your model to Smooth Shading and then select those edges that you want to be sharp in Edit Mode and mark them as sharp:

That way you can control which parts of the model will be smooth and which edges will be sharp.

Last edited by not again!; Yesterday at 19:20.
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:43   #144
Kubsy
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by not again! View Post
^^ Using flat shading and sharp edges will increase the vertex count in Tomb Editor, because you can only have sharp edges in the tomb engine by splitting the vertices, doubling and trippling the vertex count. Cube = six faces with four vertices -> 6 x 4 = 24. You can switch between flat and smooth shading by selecting your model in Object Mode and right click:

While smooth shading is best for vertex count it's not always the best looking option; some edges just need to be sharp and the improved aesthetic might be worth the increase in vertex count. In that case it's best to set your model to Smooth Shading and then select those edges that you want to be sharp in Edit Mode and mark them as sharp:

That way you can control which parts of the model will be smooth and which edges will be sharp.
Holy shi- Thank you so much this helped :') I didn't know about that and had flat shade turned on.

Thank you so much, I've been trying to figure out what was the problem for about 4 hours