www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 04-12-21, 11:23   #36821
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

I think people are very unforgiving because of the casting / style department.

If Leon looked more like Leon, Jill had her bob hairstyle, and Claire had her ponytail, people would be full of praise.

It's literally what fans have wanted for years. I remember being so excited when game characters would be in a new RE movie, only to be so disappointed that they are just there for the background with no origin or backstory. Literally none. Jill had a little in Apocalypse but you just assume it as she has a knowledge of what's going on and you know she was disgraced from STARS. And I actually really like the Anderson films for what they are.

The movie is literally Chris and Claire's origin story, which is never touched on in the games. While I think they went a bit overboard, Leon is also obviously set up to redeem himself so obviously they wanted to go for character development with him. It's funny how people hated Alice in the films for being a Mary Sue yet Leon in the games is Gary Stu and when they make him more relatable / human and set up character development people hate him and are actually going as far as sending hate to the actor (he's deleted social media). You cannot please people.

Yes they crammed the original trilogy pretty much into one film but at the end of the day, RE1 took place over a couple of hours, and RE2 took place over a couple of hours. RE3 was also like the B-Side to RE2 and was already done in Andersons films so I get why that was left out.

Last edited by James_Rutland; 04-12-21 at 11:25.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-21, 14:41   #36822
rewak
Professor

It's the RE fanbase, they're never going to be completely happy with anything. I do think Sienna was a better Jill, but I also don't think Jill was really used very well in this movie. I think people were also bummed that Ada was only used in the post-credits scene (which I'm pretty sure someone in this thread predicted), and I'd agree on that point if this movie was just RE2. She just didn't have a place in this movies story which I was fine with, there was a lot going on already. The mashing together of RE1 and 2 (and I guess 3) did surprisingly work really well until the end where they just rushed through everything, it felt like they ran out of time or something. It could have gone longer, they needed to extend the end of the movie and they needed to spend more time with the Birkins. Annette may as well have not been there at all, Sherry is barely there, and we never actually learn what the whole point of the virus was! They don't explain why it was made or what William intended to do with it, they just assumed the audience would know. Annette outright asks William what he's been doing and he just says "Gods work". Like that was your moment for some exposition and they just don't bother? I hope the Blu has deleted scenes or even an extended cut or something, apart from the end being rushed there's also this stuff which from memory wasn't in the movie either.

It's a really fun movie, it just could have been better with just a little more put into it. Still easily one of the best RE movies for me though. For as rushed as it gets towards the end it still managed to do a really nice slow buildup of tension and atmosphere in the beginning and give the characters (mostly) enough time to grow. The locations all looked great (except towards the end, again) and you could tell they actually did care about the games.
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 10:55   #36823
noonbob
Professor

Soo cool
noonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 15:29   #36824
matrix54
Tomb Raider

This is how they should have released it originally, but in 3D. It likely would have performed better.
Old 05-12-21, 15:41   #36825
noonbob
Professor

Exactly, omg just played it and I SCREAMED in the church
They made it have very rare ammo pick-ups and herbs.
I was limping around in danger most of the time XD
noonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:04   #36826
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

I've been playing Raid Mode in Revelations 2 and I'm completely blown away. Raid mode could be its own separate game with how many levels and missions it has.

Also love this music, sounds like a save room theme.

Old Today, 01:00   #36827
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
I think people are very unforgiving because of the casting / style department.

If Leon looked more like Leon, Jill had her bob hairstyle, and Claire had her ponytail, people would be full of praise.
Jill's actress looks like Julia Voth Jill with a tan. They have almost the same face. I do wish they'd given her a short straight wig and beret though.

Leon's actor should have played Carlos in an RE3 movie in my opinion, he looks like a perfect blend of the original 1999 version (who was basically Leon with a tan and dark hair) and the 2020 remake version. He's literally if those two versions of the character had a son somehow.

Inb4 "but he's not Latino he's Indian stop conflating brown ethnicities" ok he's half Indian and if you restrict him strictly to half British/half Indian roles he'd have no work. He looks the part.

I feel really awful he ended up disabling his instagram because of the amount of harassment he was getting though. However you feel about the casting that is so ****ed up. It's one thing to not love a casting decision, it doesn't justify going over to their pages and writing diatribes at them.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; Today at 01:09.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote