www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 27-01-21, 22:42   #18091
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

I'm not going to even get into the crazy garbage that's written above this post (to be clear: not you Sora ) but based on the Video from Crystal Dynamics it's really re-enforcing the idea to me that this Story will be more original than ever.

Movie Audiences didn't understand why they didn't get "Real Lara" with double guns until the post credits scene in the movie, likewise with a legion of fans and the new games. That new video from Crystal D talking about unifying the brand and the new logo showing the braid and double guns; that's the Lara this sequel will have.

I expect the story will have the loosest ties imaginable like maybe Kristin Scott Thomas but if I were them no one who went and enjoyed 2018 found it that memorable beyond forum folks so they could just start from scratch and probably be the better for it. It wasn't like everyone remembered every detail of the Huntsman when they did their Winters War sequel 4 years later and that film suffered for trying to connect it to the first. This film franchise is on life support and if it needs a creative 180 and to forget the first film so be it!

It's going to come out at this rate as the same time of the next Tomb Raider game which is clearly far away. This Film is a 2023 release at earliest if they went into production by January 2022.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 27-01-21 at 22:46.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-21, 00:56   #18092
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I could see them hitting 2022 if they start in the summer but maybe that's too ambitious. I would think that MGM would want this made and ready for theatres before a potential sale holds things up. Who knows!?

It's very exciting that Crystal want to merge the old and new so it makes me think this'll be it's own thing like everyone is guessing. If they're going back to swashbuckling Lara I wanna see her driving through jungles on her motorbike and facing ancient evils in temples.

It's so exciting that everything seems like it is pointing towards this being a more supernatural adventure movie than the first and if the work on what I've been able to see on Lovecraft Country is brought over style wise then we might even get a different sort of aesthetic.

Honestly at this point I could even see them killing of Ana at the start and forgetting about her completely although I want Kristin in this movie, they could even adapt her into Natla if they really wanted to lean in on the angle.

It wouldn't be hard to make an adaption that continues the first film without having to stick to it verbatim, let's just keep Trinity and Ana and then throw out the family drama and psuedo science for full on fantasy.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 28-01-21 at 01:09.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-21, 01:50   #18093
SoraSakai
Inactive

Just because Ben Wheatley is no longer attached, and he was a frequent collaborator with Kristin Scott Thomas, doesnít mean sheís suddenly removed from the sequel.

She hadnít worked with Roar before and he still cast her in the movie. I promise you, sheíll be in the sequel. You donít set up a massive plot twist at the end of a movie and then solve it off screen. Especially when itís something thatís so heavily tied to your protagonistís arc as a character.

It wonít happen, but if it did, thatíd immediately drop the movie to like a 1/10 score for me because my god. What terrible writing. Anyway, Iím almost certain they wonít do that.

The best thing would you have her be revealed to be a Natla-adjacent character.

Last edited by SoraSakai; 28-01-21 at 01:52.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-21, 02:32   #18094
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Just because Ben Wheatley is no longer attached, and he was a frequent collaborator with Kristin Scott Thomas, doesnít mean sheís suddenly removed from the sequel.

She hadnít worked with Roar before and he still cast her in the movie. I promise you, sheíll be in the sequel. You donít set up a massive plot twist at the end of a movie and then solve it off screen. Especially when itís something thatís so heavily tied to your protagonistís arc as a character.

It wonít happen, but if it did, thatíd immediately drop the movie to like a 1/10 score for me because my god. What terrible writing. Anyway, Iím almost certain they wonít do that.

The best thing would you have her be revealed to be a Natla-adjacent character.

If you're Tomb Raider you do.
Old 28-01-21, 07:39   #18095
AimlessThunder
Professor

^Exactly! 👆😉
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-21, 07:47   #18096
SoraSakai
Inactive

No.
That wasn’t a plot-twist or major dramatic reveal. That didn’t change a pre-established dynamic between two characters. It didn’t involve the elevation of a side-character to “antagonist”.

In that scene, Lara’s looking at a tattered journal which is filled with multiple allusions to myths. She wants to see what else out there could be “true.” Just because it happens to be opened to a page with the words “CROATOAN” written on it, doesn’t have any dramatic impact on the plot. I’ve played the 2013 countless times across PS3, PS4 and have 100’s of hours on the PC version on steam. I didn’t even know that Easter egg was there until literally right now. So over-analyzing a minor detail like that is entirely on you.

Very different to finding out your surrogate mother is head of an evil organization that threatens the world and is responsible for your father’s disappearance and eventual death.

So no. It’s not the same thing. Another attempt at trying to make a point that just immediately collapsed in on itself.

Last edited by SoraSakai; 28-01-21 at 07:54.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-21, 23:34   #18097
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I've had a chance to watch Lovecraft Country episode 4 which a lot of twitter was discussing to probably be the episode that got her hired and I can see why.

It has very much those mysterious adventure film vibes it reminded me more so if a National Treasure type setting with more paranormal influences so I can definitely see why that might fit into the series.

What I really liked about this episode was thst it really steeps itself deep into the history and archaeological roots of the environment the characters are exploring.

It did sort of remind me of the vibes of TR2018 too. I wish there was more of Misha's work to view out there, the soundtrack used in this episode was very AOD once they got into the caves it was unintentional but made me atleast confident in Misha's ability to give us decent sound scape and music cues.

It was very what you'd expect of Tomb Raider. There was ancient maps and artefacts, puzzles, mysterious doors, a booby trap, a vanishing walkway, a sunken galleon, monolithic scriptures, flooding cursed caves and they awoke the soul of a trapped spirit all whilst dressed in their adventurers best attire.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 29-01-21 at 00:03.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-21, 14:39   #18098
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Alicia sending a message to Gothenburg Film Festival:

https://twitter.com/AliciaVikanderD/...20553802076160

She looks very classic Lara style! Girl, we need that style!
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-21, 14:54   #18099
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

She look amazing she would certainly really suit this look in the next film. I'm really excited to see if she's going to have a new look in the next film to see if she is a more confident Tomb Raider and woman as opposed to her transition from young girl.

Watching Lovecraft Country the female characters in that always looked glamorous whilst kicking ass and had some great costumes. I'd kill to see Alicia with a braid and duals with a jungle ready outfit.
Old 31-01-21, 16:21   #18100
AimlessThunder
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Alicia sending a message to Gothenburg Film Festival:

https://twitter.com/AliciaVikanderD/...20553802076160

She looks very classic Lara style! Girl, we need that style!

Yes!
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote