www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 26-11-21, 18:18   #9501
Mani_Man
Relic Hunter
 
Mani_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
The difference is that with the reboot just continuing you don't have to retcon anything. It's easily marketable to the general public.

With this whole unification timeline they want the problem is trying to make things that obviously happened non Canon. How can you say that something isn't Canon when you specifically watch Amelia die in Legend or you see teen Lara in Core games going on adventures.

Would they then be forced to not remaster or port those games because of the inconsistencies in the plot?

It would be much better to just have separate timelines, Core, LAU, and Reboot.

Let TR12 be Reboot 4, if they want to do more classic games then just revive the Lara Croft brand and use that brand to make classic TR games. I don't want to be told that something I see on my screen clearly, didn't actually happen. It just doesn't work for me.
Its like i said, the wording on this whole unification thing has people so confused, making things unneccessary complicated.

Everything that is/was canon in the timelines, will still be canon.
Everything that happened in LAU, still will have happened in LAU.

Nobody touches the Existing timelines at all.
The only retcon that will happen, will happen in this new "unified" timeline where they have a base, probably the survivor era, and rework it so that elements of all the other timelines fit into it.

But even then, the survivor era will not be touched, its its own timeline and completely intact.

They will just touch the very new timeline they will use from this point forward, no other timeline will be in any way influenced.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 19:20   #9502
Rai
Moderator
 
Rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In a bubble outside the universe
Posts: 35,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Also I find it hard to believe it would be well received in the fanbase itself.

I mean, the LAU and reboot games would probably be less problematic, but the moment CD or whoever develops the classic-timeline game tries to do something new with either that version of the character or gameplay that slightly deviate from expectations, I can see many people rioting and overreacting as usual.
This is what I was thinking. No matter if CD try to do a 'classic' style game, it would be very hard to satisfy the fanbase's expectations. Lara wouldn't be right, gameplay wouldn't be right. LAU was supposedly CD's take on classic Lara and while there are more positive views now, there was also a lot of negativity at the time. And even taking into account the cycle of C-L-S timelines, changes still need to happen because apparently with TR the devs have to reinvent the wheel every two games, otherwise they're accused of being stale.
__________________
"Who we are is not what we wear, or what sparkles. It's our spirit that defines us."
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 19:53   #9503
malferink
Archaeologist
 
malferink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Because I hadn't considered what the entire unification process would involve. The recent interview with the new director put things into perspective and now I'm not too fond of the idea.
what interview are you referring to?
malferink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 19:56   #9504
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 18,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
This is what I was thinking. No matter if CD try to do a 'classic' style game, it would be very hard to satisfy the fanbase's expectations. Lara wouldn't be right, gameplay wouldn't be right. LAU was supposedly CD's take on classic Lara and while there are more positive views now, there was also a lot of negativity at the time. And even taking into account the cycle of C-L-S timelines, changes still need to happen because apparently with TR the devs have to reinvent the wheel every two games, otherwise they're accused of being stale.
Which is really sad because Anniversary was the perfect remake. The gameplay was modernized and the classic formula was updated enough to be faithful, but interesting.

I'm glad I'm not hardcore classic, because it makes me appreciate the things that keep the franchise fresh and new, keeps the franchise breathing.
__________________
Always Pondering; Real Queen; Anti GOP
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 20:05   #9505
Jathom95
Archaeologist
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: United States
Posts: 1,037
Default

It really wasn't though imo. It was streamlined way too much from the original and really just felt like an afterthought to tie into Legend's timeline.
__________________
"Rodents, I wouldn't wonder. *Big* rodents."
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 20:15   #9506
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 18,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
It really wasn't though imo. It was streamlined way too much from the original and really just felt like an afterthought to tie into Legend's timeline.
It wasn't that streamlined, it deviated a lot from Legend. The Puzzles, the key doors and the inventory system were great departures from Legend that made it much closer and faithful to the original games. People just don't like Anniversary because Cores version got cancelled. Cores version had some drastic changes to some of the levels just like anniversary, but anniversary only ever gets panned because CD made it. If Core had made Anniversary exactly as it is now, most fans would have eaten it up.
__________________
Always Pondering; Real Queen; Anti GOP
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 20:17   #9507
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter
 
jeffrey van oort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 5,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I have a simple way of unification

I call it the Tomb Raider timeline

After Shadow, Lara seeks to find Excalibur. However when she find the sword, she touches the hilt which causes the portal to open. The portal is a portal to the past. Amelia being freaked out tries to remove the sword which kills her. The portal closes when adult Lara removes the sword from the stone dais.

Because Lara opened a portal to the past with the sword and accidentally changed it, this causes a split in time within the Tomb Raider universe. You have one timeline where grown up Reboot/LAU Lara continues on after she accidentally changed the past and you have the child timeline that considers of LAU/Core Lara growing up having seen her mother killed and growing up to eventually become Core Lara.

Here is a graph to make it easy to see what I mean.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...5-160239_2.png

This way every Lara is Canon as there are two yimojes after Legend that would exist because of Lara's actions in Legend. Similar to Zelda's timeline split. This would allow CD to create multiple TR games and spin offs and have them all be Canon.

TR12 would take place in the adult timeline after Temple of Osiris.
How incredible. I like how Crystal Dynamics first Tomb Raider game, the portals, and the diases could be used to travel to the Lara Croft of your chosen universe. Back to the past. This was always what Crystal Dynamics had proposed to the Tomb Raider players. To go back to the past. We're really talking about timetravel again. (The voice from the Portal by Amelia was just an echo, or a voice recording. Lara Croft just responded to them as if they weren't.) Nobody actually time traveled. Core design had never focused so much on previous iterations of Tomb Raider. (Appart from similar animations or textures). Core Design's Tomb Raider videogames are sort of stand alone adventures. They'll have less trouble to fit these in. (Original VS replication of previous success). Crystal Dynamics had really tried something new with Tomb Raider, but the adventures are written to follow each other up. The reboot is so different. I love Quentin Tarantino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Multiverse theory are soooo boring clichés and overdone at this point
True. Why would creatives try to do these multiverse theories so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
I didn't describe it because I've had in other posts, and because it should be fairly obvious why it would be harder to adapt into canon. At least while keeping the family plotline still in there.

First, the entire Amelia plotline revolves around Lara actually seeing her mother disappear, and that Amelia WAS actually alive. Or was until she became a thrall. And to become a thrall, a body had to be there. This could have had still be a possibility hadn't Blood Ties ended with Lara finding Amelia's secret tomb, which had a dead body inside that was DNA identified as Amelia. If you want to keep LAU canon besides "Lara finds Excalibur" and "Lara finds Mjolnir", with Amanda, Natla and the Doppleganger still somehow involved, you need an explaination on how Amelia's body can simultaneously be in a grave under Croft Manor and in Avalon/Helheim.

Now, I can actually think in a way of this still being possible, one that could actually work within the version of Amelia's death that is told in Blood Ties. Basically involving Amelia being somehow cloned or her soul splitted from her body and becoming a physical entity during the teleportation process, which even if it can be written in a way that sort of makes sense, but would always sound contrived.

And Richard is dead. His dead body is literally seen in both RotTR and SotTR. But even if he would still be alive, what would be the point? So that he could then be killed by Natla once again? Doesn't make any sense. Besides, Richard is the LAU parent that more easily can be rewritten so his role in LAU still makes sense. And I explained in a different post. Basically him working with Natla and finding proof of the supernatural and immortality that he cannot use because of how evil Natla is could even more easily explain why he was so obsessed with those topics. And while Natla couldn't kill him herself in this timeline, she could easily be written as being related to Trinity somehow, maybe being the one who convinced Dominguez/Amaru to have Richard killed.



Honestly this. Besides, it's not even needed to begin with. While rewritting is definitely needed, there are way to make every the major events of every single game still happen within a continuous timeline.
Strong observations about the Tomb Raider in game content/story line. I don't want them to rewrite previous titles. They've finished these Tomb Raider products. Make something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian Carlo View Post
I’d vote to completely remove LAU games from the timeline lol they only create inconsistencies
I am not matt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
It would be quite funny if the "hard cuts" CD would make to the timeline would be to remove their own games
What a valiant decision that would be. I am interested in more of where this came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian Carlo View Post
The first 3 games are fine. We can disregard Chronicles and make some changes about TLR/AoD
Tomb Raider Chronicles is the set up before Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. A lot of lies were told in the stories of Tomb Raider Chronicles, with the emphasis of telling your own lies with gifted to you their Tomb Raider level editor with the Tomb Raider Chronicles CD. It is scary how many parallels could be drawn in Tomb Raider Chronicles compared with her next adventures after Tomb Raider Chronicles. In fact, Crystal Dynamics should try a Tomb Raider videogame in the story style of Tomb Raider Chronicles. I think people would quite like that format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lulu View Post
As I sit here eating leftover mashed potatoes and turkey, I still think this unified timeline is a bad idea. It would be better to keep all the time lines separate. They could even do games for all three Laras. Could be done in cycles as well. Do a Classic game, then a LAU game then a Survivor game.

Well it's just a thought. And my I keyboard isn't working so well.
I'd try to whistle, but I can't remember the song. What was the song? There have been quite a few number of Tomb Raider titled videogames. Going back to the past is the best that they could do. I am glad.
__________________
Flames would not be eternal if they could dissolve.
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 20:26   #9508
Jathom95
Archaeologist
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: United States
Posts: 1,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
It wasn't that streamlined, it deviated a lot from Legend. The Puzzles, the key doors and the inventory system were great departures from Legend that made it much closer and faithful to the original games. People just don't like Anniversary because Cores version got cancelled. Cores version had some drastic changes to some of the levels just like anniversary, but anniversary only ever gets panned because CD made it. If Core had made Anniversary exactly as it is now, most fans would have eaten it up.
I think TRAE is interesting and all, but Core making it has no bearing in my opinion. Anniversary just felt bland to me regardless of how modernized the gameplay was. And by streamlined, I mean the levels themselves.

They really should've just made a direct sequel to Legend instead of trying to squeeze Natla into the overall narrative from having to use the story from TR1. There were also stylistic changes I didn't like, like Tihocan and Qualopec being more standard fantasy than the interesting cybernetic themes from the original. I also think Natla was made cartoonishly evil, even if her original incarnation wasn't anything special in the first place.

They're all legitimate grievances. Differences of opinion, that's it.
__________________
"Rodents, I wouldn't wonder. *Big* rodents."

Last edited by Jathom95; 26-11-21 at 20:35.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 20:59   #9509
Samz
Relic Hunter
 
Samz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Helheim
Posts: 6,322
Default

While they said it was all intentional "streamlining" in the commentary, I do wonder how much of it was genuine attempts at streamlining and how much was "we need to finish this up, it's already late and we need to get back to working on Underworld." since that was also being developed at the same time.
__________________
"What does it mean to be a Tomb Raider?,It means to collect artifacts for sport"
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 21:14   #9510
Jathom95
Archaeologist
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: United States
Posts: 1,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
While they said it was all intentional "streamlining" in the commentary, I do wonder how much of it was genuine attempts at streamlining and how much was "we need to finish this up, it's already late and we need to get back to working on Underworld." since that was also being developed at the same time.
Probably, since Crystal had to develop it alongside another studio just to get it out the door since they were already working on Underworld too. They completely missed the actual Anniversary in 2006 and they weren't planning to do it at all at first.

I think the lack of marketing it received and the poor sales kind of go hand-in-hand with the development itself.
__________________
"Rodents, I wouldn't wonder. *Big* rodents."
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 13:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.