www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 02-02-21, 19:52   #41
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaniHeger View Post
This keeps appearing when loading a mesh no matter what I do
.blend is a Blender project file which only works correctly with Blender itself. Export to .obj or COLLADA. Also make sure your mesh is textured. Only textured meshes are supported, not colored ones.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 20:40   #42
adngel
Historian

Quote:

This keeps appearing when loading a mesh no matter what I do

It's just a simple cube that i'm trying to put, you know, the standard of blender. Here it is:
(link)
The object you've shared, already has an UV mapping. So the remaining thing is the texture, your object has a material, but not texture.

To apply the texture, one of the ways to do it:

Check the video that NotAgain shared in the first page:

https://youtu.be/knrsNBLhc3E?t=48

Around the minute 0:47, it selects the material of the object.
Then select the BaseColor, at the left there is a button to show a list.
In that list, it chooses "Image texture".

In that project, there is already a texture in the project assets (that's why it can seelct it in a list), in your case if there is not texture , just press the "Open" button that is there under the "BaseColor", and pick any image texture. (.png or .tga for example).

Last edited by adngel; 02-02-21 at 22:05.
adngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 00:44   #43
HaniHeger
Historian

https://i.imgur.com/gok6Rha.png

I used the last image as an texture to test (lol)

Still doesn't work, although I sent a blend. file in the post before, the file I'm loading in WADTool was obj really, I just tried COLLADA but same error again.

Last edited by HaniHeger; 03-02-21 at 00:54.
HaniHeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 01:09   #44
adngel
Historian

Hello Hani.

I have opened the blend that you sent, I put a texture I had in the material, then I exported the cube as FBX (I didn't change anything else).

After that, I opened any wad in Wad Tool, I created a new Animating, I press the "Edit Skeleton" in that animating, and pressed the Replace model.

I choose the FBX cube, with a 512 value in the size, Swap YZ, Invert Faces, and I unchecked the Invert Z.

After accept, I could load that cube without any error.

I don't know why the error could be, I only have a couple of thoughs:

- Is the texture in the same folder than the exported object? (In my case, yes they are).
- Is it happening in other Wads too? (In any new empty Wad?)
Old 03-02-21, 17:19   #45
not again!
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by adngel View Post
I think to remember that TR4 engine had a limitation of decimals in the vertices position. (No more than 2 decimals? )
Quote:
- In Wad tool, I create a new moveable and import the mesh with size: 1.0,
I suspect that this is what is causing the issue - when you are working at original scale 1:1 then the vertex coordinates in Blender should not have any decimals at all.
The two digit decimals are when you are following the outfit tutorials for Meta, which apparently use a scale ratio of 1:100

For reference:

scale 1:1 - the smallest possible distance between vertices is 1
scale 1:10 - smallest possible distance is 0.1
scale 1:100 - smallest possible distance is 0.01

It's one of several reasons why I prefer to work at original size 1:1, because you instantly know that a vertex is going to wander as soon as you see decimals. When working with smaller scales you always have to remember how many decimals are okay to have, and things are already complicated enough.

Quote:
- I activate the "Snap Incremente" in the top options, also I put the isometric frontal view and zoom in to increase the grid size, after that, I select all vertices and press the right button and click the option "Snap Selection to Grid"
That's what I'm doing too to prevent meshes from getting distorted, so I would just try and repeat that step while zooming out far enough to get rid of the decimals and then clean up the distortions in Blender.

It's a pity that it's not possible to refine the topology of models for TRLE a bit more, it's always like "do I make the corner of the eye a bit too high or a bit too low.." (._. )

Last edited by not again!; 03-02-21 at 17:20.
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 00:21   #46
HaniHeger
Historian

Hi adngel, thanks for answering! Well I made sure the texture was in the same folder as the saved and exported file, I tried exporting to FBX instead of obj too like you did.

All specifications that you did when replacing the model I made them the same, but unfortunately the same warning still appeared, I tried other wads and same. It doesn't seems to be the file, so maybe the WADTool? Or something in my computer?
Old 04-02-21, 00:59   #47
not again!
Archaeologist

Could you upload that fbx file? Then we can check if anyone else gets the same error when trying to import that file.

edit: alternatively you can download the TR1 cat statue in OBJ file format here and see if importing the model works on your end. In WadTool choose following import settings: from the dropdown select the 3ds Max OBJ preset and change the scale from 1 to 512.

Last edited by not again!; 04-02-21 at 01:49.
Old 04-02-21, 19:20   #48
HaniHeger
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by not again! View Post
edit: alternatively you can download the TR1 cat statue in OBJ file format here and see if importing the model works on your end. In WadTool choose following import settings: from the dropdown select the 3ds Max OBJ preset and change the scale from 1 to 512.
That didn't work either, although sending the fbx seems useless...here it is
Old 04-02-21, 20:50   #49
adngel
Historian

Hello again.

I've downloaded that .FBX and when I try to import it in WadTool, it appeared the same error that you showed in the screenshot up there.

So I re-imported that fbx in Blender, there I made two modifications, one didn't solve anything, the other made it able to be imported in Wad Tool

1- First I removed the light and camera that are in the Blender scene, and re-exported in .fbx, but the Wadtool still was showing me that error, after more tries, I can see that those elements does not affect the "ability" to be received by the Wad Tool (it looks like that it ignores them).

2- I hadn't got the texture, and although in the .fbx there was an untitled.png image, I could not extract it, so I applied a new one. (I searched in google "cats" images, and I downloaded the third one), after apply the new texture on the same material, I re-exported to .fbx, and then it yes allowed me to import the mesh in Wad Tool.

So, could be the problem in the texture you were adding? (I change the name of the cat texture to untitled.jpg, and it still worked so is not the "untitled" string)

Image I used as texture: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD
Old 05-02-21, 20:13   #50
not again!
Archaeologist

Quote:
That didn't work either, although sending the fbx seems useless...here it is
Can't hurt to double check Seems that your suspicion was right that it's not the model file that is causing the issue, since importing the cat statue did not work either and on the other hand both adngel and me can import your .fbx just fine (as long as there is a texture called untitled.png in the same folder).

Does the folder where you have saved the models & textures maybe require administrator rights to access? That's the only thing I can think of that maybe could cause problems but I don't really know.