Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 26-10-21, 08:52   #1
Final Count

Default Starring Lara Croft or The Dagger of Xian?

I think I've had a bit of a Mandela Effect experience today. I've ALWAYS thought that Tomb Raider II was titled Tomb Raider II: The Dagger of Xian. It seems like that has never been the case, but that it's always been Tomb Raider II: Starring Lara Croft??? Where did I ever get the idea that the game was titled The Dagger of Xian? I'm so confused.

And I thought it was called that all the way back to the 90's, so it's not just because of Nicobass' remake that I think it was called that.

Was it called The Dagger of Xian at some point, or in some regions only or something?
Final Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-21, 09:15   #2
Heartache

the first three games are often called like the artifacts they are about by fans.

e. g. tomb raider 1 atlantean scion

official title on cd's and guides etc was always tomb raider II starring lara croft, just like tomb raider 1 featuring lara croft is the title of the first one and tomb raider III adventures of lara croft for 3

devs said they wanted to be bold with this decision and make people ask who this lara croft is because she is in the title of a videogame with "featuring" and later "starring"
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-21, 09:15   #3
michaeldt

Always had the subtitle 'Starring Lara Croft' as far as I'm aware. 'The Dagger of Xian' was more of a fan applied subtitle, I think.
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-21, 10:28   #4
ANoDE
Golden

Yep, as far as I know, it's always been "starring Lara Croft" for TR2.

Actually, "Tomb Raider 2 - The Dagger of Xian" is what Nicobass' fan-remake is called (often also just called Tomb Raider DOX).
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-21, 10:59   #5
Final Count

Interesting So what are the actual official titles of the three games?

Is it:

Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider II
Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft

That's how Wikipedia names them

Or is it:

Tomb Raider: Featuring Lara Croft
Tomb Raider II: Starring Lara Croft
Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft

?
Old 26-10-21, 12:13   #6
michaeldt

As far as I know, 'Featuring Lara Croft' and 'Starring Lara Croft' for TR1 and 2 were not official subtitles to the name, but just another piece of text applied to the box art.
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-21, 13:30   #7
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
As far as I know, 'Featuring Lara Croft' and 'Starring Lara Croft' for TR1 and 2 were not official subtitles to the name, but just another piece of text applied to the box art.
I would agree on this, although I don't have any proof for it.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-21, 02:01   #8
AndersL

Are you Italian? The Italian big box PC edition was titled "Tomb Raider II: il pugnale di Xian" which translates to "The Dagger of Xian."

"Starring Lara Croft" is also printed on the box, but further away from the title.

I'd love to link to photos of the box, but apparently my post count is too low to post links.
AndersL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-21, 06:11   #9
Final Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersL View Post
Are you Italian? The Italian big box PC edition was titled "Tomb Raider II: il pugnale di Xian" which translates to "The Dagger of Xian."

"Starring Lara Croft" is also printed on the box, but further away from the title.

I'd love to link to photos of the box, but apparently my post count is too low to post links.
Denmark, here. And it's weird, my game does indeed say "Starring Lara Croft" so it's a mystery how I thought it was named The Dagger of Xian back then, before interacting with fans on the internet. I can't figure this out.

But very interesting that it indeed is the official title in Italy! :O Maybe I haven't gone entirely mad.
Old 29-10-21, 09:09   #10
Craig Michaels

I think way back the Tomb Raider Traveler's Guide gave them artifact subtitles like you're remembering.

Here it is cached: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...h?q=cache:b8Qk

They also inserted some extra "scenes" like Lara running into a certain alien-investigating duo in Area 51, which is fun for the 90's nostalgia - but unfortunately totally fan-made.
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote