Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 23-08-20, 16:57   #1
PiaJ

Question Soundtrack on custom levels

From what I can understand, you can get custom levels in the TR2 (and TR1) engine to play their soundtracks by putting in the cd of the original game.

I bought my game on GOG and so how can I get the soundtrack in custom levels to play?
PiaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-20, 18:36   #2
laravision

Use Arsunt's TR2Main patch, along with PaulD's Audio Solution (cdaudio.mp3 + cdaudio.dat). This audio solution is used by Steam and is compatible with TR2Main. However, I'm not sure that these audio solutions will work correctly with some custom levels, especially those that use custom tracks. I think GOG uses a different audio solution comprised of ogg files.
Alternatively, you can use other music solutions, one of which can be downloaded here. It's comprised of separate wma tracks in a folder named music, alongside x2 .dll files - fmodex and winmm, all of which should be placed in the main game directory.

The music solution that I use with Arsunt's patch, is comprised of an audio folder containing separate mp3 tracks. They can be downloaded here, alongside their respective fmodex and winmm .dll's. Again, these belong in the main directory.

Most, if not all of the more recent TR2 custom levels on trle.net use Arsunt's patch.

UPDATE - https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...42#post8344842

Last edited by laravision; 30-10-22 at 12:17.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-20, 22:12   #3
Danath

Question

Does PaulD solution have the same problem as the wma method?

I use the wma method and when you lower the music volume it works, but on the next track or when ambient loops it resets itself back to 10. Pretty annoying.
Arsunt said he will make music tracks independent from wrappers in the future but in the meantime i could use the .mp3 one if it works better, that's why i ask.

I have TR2 on GOG but can't remember if it includes the solution by default.

@PiaJ: even if custom levels don't use Arsunt's patch, they always have a method to play music without the CD.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-20, 22:45   #4
laravision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
Does PaulD solution have the same problem as the wma method?

I use the wma method and when you lower the music volume it works, but on the next track or when ambient loops it resets itself back to 10. Pretty annoying.
I haven't experimented with this, but have witnessed it happen to speedrunners using the wma method. I don't think the volume issue occurs with PaulD's solution.

Here's a recent exchange between Sardoc and Arsunt (beginning from post 479 of the TR2Main PlayStation Waving Inventory algorithm thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
Hi, I'm using this audio solution: link (wma's)
Anyway, the music plays where it should, but for some reason the volume is always set to max? I can go to TR2 sound options, turn down the volume, and it will work for the currently played track, but the next one will play at full volume again.
It works like this on my Win 10 v.2004 machine, regardless of whether I use TR2Main or not.
Do you think PaulD's solution will work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
Your wrapper does not work correctly with CDAudio volume. PaulD's solution will work. I'm sure because I'm the one who integrated it into TR2Main, and improved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
Thank you! All good now, everything plays like it should and at the volume it should.
Old 23-08-20, 23:21   #5
Danath

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
I haven't experimented with this, but have witnessed it happen to speedrunners using the wma method. I don't think the volume issue occurs with PaulD's solution.
I will try it then, thank you.
As i'm building my TR2 game and it will be probably the only one i do, i'm obsessing over every single detail.

And yes, i use Win10 v2004 as Sardoc said, so it's confirmed there are problems with the wma method volume in Win10.

Update: I tried the mp3 method, and it's true the volume doesn't go up when the next track plays, but i have another problem with that method.
I am using custom tracks in the game, and i replaced for example 02.mp3 with my own one, but when i play the level where that track is used the original track plays instead of the new one. :\

Last edited by Danath; 24-08-20 at 00:28.
Old 24-08-20, 12:13   #6
PiaJ

I'm playing "The great Chi" at the moment, and unless I've misunderstood something, it already contains the relevant sound patches. But still no sound. Anyone knows what's wrong? I just started the main program without thinking too much about it.
Old 24-08-20, 14:52   #7
laravision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
Update: I tried the mp3 method, and it's true the volume doesn't go up when the next track plays, but i have another problem with that method.
I am using custom tracks in the game, and i replaced for example 02.mp3 with my own one, but when i play the level where that track is used the original track plays instead of the new one. :\
In that case, you'd have to create your own custom cdaudio.mp3 and .dat file.
Have you tried the separate mp3 solution? This way, you can use custom tracks in the same way as the wma solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiaJ View Post
I'm playing "The great Chi" at the moment, and unless I've misunderstood something, it already contains the relevant sound patches. But still no sound. Anyone knows what's wrong? I just started the main program without thinking too much about it.
That custom level uses a patched exe (not Arsunt's) that allows the included wma tracks to be played. Does your GOG version play the soundtrack correctly?
Old 24-08-20, 15:52   #8
PiaJ

Quote:
That custom level uses a patched exe (not Arsunt's) that allows the included wma tracks to be played. Does your GOG version play the soundtrack correctly?
Yes, the GOG game works just fine. It contains an 'audio' folder with two files. I tried copying them into the great chi, but that didn't seem to work. Maybe I just need to restart the computer?
Old 24-08-20, 20:21   #9
laravision

That 'audio' folder (from your GOG version) with the two files, might not be compatible with the patched exe that the custom level uses. It should however, recognise the wma tracks in the 'music' folder, along with the fmodex and winmm.dll files, all of which are supplied in the download.

Have you checked the in-game audio volume? Try changing the music volume to a different value. The soundtrack should be working. Another option would be to try Arsunt's patch (see my earlier post).
Old 24-08-20, 22:16   #10
Danath

Wink

Quote:
Have you tried the separate mp3 solution? This way, you can use custom tracks in the same way as the wma solution.
Thank you, i tried that method today and it works fine, music stays the volume you want, except... It still has the problem that the other one has, that when you put the music volume to 0 and the ambient loops, it resets back to 10.

Waiting for Arsunt to remove the wrapper dependence.