Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 25-02-21, 20:21   #1
HeroBrineR

Default Unfinished Business compatibility

Hello, I have been looking around on the internet, and I've found sources that claim that the expansion Unfinished Business was released both for MS-DOS and Windows. As we all know, Tomb Raider 1 is not compatible with 64 bit systems due to it being a 16 bit DOS game, however what about Unfinished Business (if I do manage to find the supposed "Windows" version)?

Does anyone know if such a copy of the game exists? I don't like DOSbox, as it ruins the atmosphere of the game (textures are ever so slightly blurry, the contrast is incorrect, etc.), and I would like to be able to play it on my main computer. My laptop has 32 bit Windows which can run the game without DOSbox, however it has no sound card.

TLDR; Does a version of Unfinished Business exist which, just like TR2 and all newer games, can be played on newer versions of Windows WITHOUT DOSbox?
HeroBrineR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 22:26   #2
Opaque79

Best way to run TR1 and Unfinished Business nowadays is with the TombATI patch. The way I prefer is the Tomb Raider Automated Fix but it only works with the Steam or GOG versions. There are other methods as well though.

Here's one installer
http://www.glidos.net/tombati.html?lang=en

Here's the automated fix
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=932208684
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-21, 12:32   #3
TombHackR
Golden

The ATI version of Unfinished Business requires the level files to be in .PHD format, make sure you have the files in that format .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
DOS version of TRUB uses .tub files, but Ati version uses .phd (same format as TR1 has always had, both DOS and ATI versions).

From what I remember, these formats are largely the same, the difference is that camera information is stored in a different place of the file.

You can use this tool, fexinspect. Open every TRUB level, including Title, and save it using the same name and .phd extension.

... or, you could get my mod that also adds music to UB. It has both formats already done for you. Gotta love a little shameless advertising
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-21, 00:06   #4
HeroBrineR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque79 View Post
Best way to run TR1 and Unfinished Business nowadays is with the TombATI patch. The way I prefer is the Tomb Raider Automated Fix but it only works with the Steam or GOG versions. There are other methods as well though.

Here's one installer
http://www.glidos.net/tombati.html?lang=en

Here's the automated fix
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=932208684
AMAZING, THANKS!

But, my question still remains I'd like to have a playable copy of each game for my collection, which would only contain TR1 Gold if it were playable without any modifications. I'm trying to figure out if such a copy exists.
Old 28-02-21, 00:29   #5
Opaque79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroBrineR View Post
AMAZING, THANKS!

But, my question still remains I'd like to have a playable copy of each game for my collection, which would only contain TR1 Gold if it were playable without any modifications. I'm trying to figure out if such a copy exists.
AFAIK all physical copies of UB are DOS versions which won't run without modification. Not entirely sure though.
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-21, 09:31   #6
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
AMAZING, THANKS!

Are you trying to have TR1 Gold standalone without the rest of the game ? That is possible.
Old 28-02-21, 22:09   #7
Purcell91

The easiest way I've found to play unfinished business is playing the android/ios version of Tomb raider 1, it runs perfect and has updated hi res textures. I'm not sure about ios now but android the app can still be downloaded through an apk for free.
Purcell91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 01:19   #8
HeroBrineR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
Are you trying to have TR1 Gold standalone without the rest of the game ? That is possible.

I want the TR1 Gold disc if there's one available which works on Windows, instead of DOS. Wikipedia claims TR1 Gold was released both for Windows and DOS, so if this is true, there should be a disc version available?
Old 01-03-21, 10:50   #9
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
I want the TR1 Gold disc if there's one available which works on Windows, instead of DOS. Wikipedia claims TR1 Gold was released both for Windows and DOS, so if this is true, there should be a disc version available?
You could only buy DOS Tomb Raider / Tomb Raider Unfinished Business on a CD. It was only possible to play the game natively on WindowsNT back then by downloading the ATI 3D Rage patch, and if you don’t happen to have an ATI 3D Rage card from 1996 then you need to use the modern GLRage wrapper that was developed a few years ago.
Old 01-03-21, 12:35   #10
Arsunt

Quote:
Sure, you can play TR1 and Unfinished Business unmodified, you just need late 90s hardware with ATI Rage videocard and Windows 98/2000.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote