Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 11-08-20, 08:30   #1
phix95

Unhappy Installing TR3:LA from CD

I got the CD version on ebay finally, and read the instructions on how to make it work on a win 10 system, and the 1st thing it says to do is install as normal, but don't run the game. Then apply so and so patches.

Well, I can't even install it, as it says the "app is not compatible" with my version of windows. So I cannot apply the patches if I can't even install it.

How do I get around this? I tried compatibility mode and doesn't work.
phix95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 13:26   #2
laravision

I thought you already had the game running as mentioned in the Gold crash at main menu thread?

Where exactly does it say "app is not compatible"? The installer doesn't run?

You don't necessarily need to install the game this way. From my experience, just creating a new folder and copying the DATA, FMV, AUDIO and PIX folders from your Lost Artefact CD, and pasting them to the new folder should be sufficient. You can use the TR series multipatch if you have the CD in the drive. This will add additional/updated dll files - dec130.dll, edec.dll, winplay.dll, winsdec.dll, winstr.dll. These files should also be on the CD, but you may not need them at all should you use Arsunt's patched TR3/TLA No-CD executable, which uses ffplay.dll and SDL.dll instead.

My folder:

If you need to access the game setup, then use the -setup parameter by creating a shortcut of the tr3gold.exe. Then, open the properties of this shortcut and, at the end of the target/address field, add a space, then type -setup after the quote. Now run the shortcut & the setup menu should appear.

If you use Arsunt's patched exe (linked above), do not patch this exe, as it's already configured for widescreen. Once you launch the game, if visuals are not correct for some reason, let the game generate a new config.txt file (remove the old one). My advice is to place the game in a custom location, such as the Documents folder, in order to bypass the VirtualStore folder being used for storing savegames and the config.txt file.

Last edited by laravision; 11-08-20 at 16:54.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-20, 08:26   #3
phix95

Yes i did. A gamer friend sent me the files. But I wanted my own CD copy. Finally found one that wasnt being price gouged on ebay.

I double clicked on any exe or bat file and got one 2 notices, which I would attach if I could attach something...else I don't know how to show you.
Old 13-08-20, 10:42   #4
laravision

That's all well and good having your own CD copy, but what's the point in installing/pasting the disc contents if you can already run the game from your friends files? Also, what .bat files? Is your disc one of the original, or from a newer disc bundle?

To display an image here, either upload to an approved image hosting site like imgur or postimage, or request the album feature. I'd say just use an image host for now.

How are you trying to install the game? Remember, you shouldn't actually need to use the installer. Provide as much info as possible.

Last edited by laravision; 13-08-20 at 17:49.
Old 14-08-20, 08:18   #5
phix95

Yes but I'm a bit paranoid. This way I know there are no viruses, etc.
I made an account and provided links below
There was no autorun. So I had to go into the directory to guess how to start installing.
It's on the Eidos platinum collection cd

https://postimg.cc/MnMVmNqM (error message I usually get)
https://postimg.cc/VJxMGgk7 (get with install.bat)
https://postimg.cc/qN3Qvzt5 (the whole directory)
Old 14-08-20, 23:23   #6
SophieAyase

That means the installer is 16-bit, and you can't run 16-bit programs on Windows anymore. The best thing to do would be, as laravision said, to copy the files manually.

However, I'd check the files first and make sure it is actually TLA (open the data folder and make sure it has the TLA levels), because that's the icon for TR1, which was also the only 16-bit TR game.
SophieAyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-20, 01:52   #7
phix95

Which makes sense. I don't think any of the old games are for 64 bit. I just never got that error before.

Well the readme is dated 2000. How can I tell re: the levels? Inside data are files like cred.pcx, cut1.phd, eidospc.pcx, level1.phd, level2.phd, etc.
Old 15-08-20, 18:08   #8
laravision

I'm still confused as to why you cannot setup the Lost Artefact game directory like you apparently did with your friends files? Surely you know what files and folders are required?

Are you sure you have bought a legit Lost Artifact copy? Judging from those images you provided, the contents is not from TLA, but rather TR1. Have you been deceived and/or given the wrong disc? Can you find any files related to TLA such as "tr3gold.exe" or the "PIX" folder for instance? Those files you mentioned - "cred.pcx, cut1.phd, eidospc.pcx, level1.phd" etc, are from TR1.

The contents on the Lost Artefact CD should look similar to one of these.

Some of the level file names include scotland.tr2, chunnel.tr2, zoo.tr2 etc.
Old 16-08-20, 04:31   #9
phix95

And I can't answer that. All I know is any file I use to set up the game, I get an error message.
And I had that suspicion. The files do look off.
I have emailed the seller to get my money back.
Old 17-08-20, 21:05   #10
Netuddki

Quote:
Originally Posted by phix95 View Post
Yes but I'm a bit paranoid. This way I know there are no viruses, etc.
I made an account and provided links below
There was no autorun. So I had to go into the directory to guess how to start installing.
It's on the Eidos platinum collection cd

https://postimg.cc/MnMVmNqM (error message I usually get)
https://postimg.cc/VJxMGgk7 (get with install.bat)
https://postimg.cc/qN3Qvzt5 (the whole directory)
Hi!

Yes, this is Tombraider 1 cd, not TRLA

Hello

I'm Use Goggle translate
Netuddki is offline   Reply With Quote