www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old Yesterday, 17:30   #15291
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
Tbh, I think that we're lucky that the quality of the AJ movies were even as high as they were . Video game movies still at 2001 were in their infancy (Super Mario Bros only came out 8 years beforehand!), and there was no clear-cut way on how to adapt a video game into a film (still isn't really...). That being said, for the movies to have stuck as close as they did to what the games portrayed, I think was a great step forward for video game based movies.
For the 2001 movie I have read countless review saying the film made no sence and the battle with the stones monkeys or the robot are ridiculous and some are even asking why thoses scenes are on it.. Well guess what ?

The robot scene does have an utility to the movie to show the athletic features of Lara and also why she need that kind of training ? Because it's not her first adventure and encounter with super strange things are in her daily life (as a videogame players we know why thoses scenes are in). Still this movie could have been much more with the original climax (in the script) and a great showcase of Lara's character.
Old Yesterday, 17:42   #15292
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Of course the film made sense... I don't see how people think it doesn't.
Old Yesterday, 20:09   #15293
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
Of course the film made sense... I don't see how people think it doesn't.
It doesn't. The mythology doesn't make any sense. The evil plan doesn't make any sense. Richard's plan which basically needs Lara to become a great explorer 20 years in the future or so, and still live in the manor, AND be at home when the alignment starts so she can hear the clock, AND be at home when his letter arrives in the mail telling her to go to Cambodia doesn't make any sense. And let's not forget that Lara, our protagonist which is supposed to be this super intelligent person with vast knowledge on myths and ancient civilizations, needs to be told by someone else where to go so she can find the pieces of the triangle, instead of figuring out or researching it by herself.

The movie literally has no functional plot is the definition of "dumb action movie".

And I love it for that.
Old Today, 00:53   #15294
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
It doesn't. The mythology doesn't make any sense. The evil plan doesn't make any sense. Richard's plan which basically needs Lara to become a great explorer 20 years in the future or so, and still live in the manor, AND be at home when the alignment starts so she can hear the clock, AND be at home when his letter arrives in the mail telling her to go to Cambodia doesn't make any sense. And let's not forget that Lara, our protagonist which is supposed to be this super intelligent person with vast knowledge on myths and ancient civilizations, needs to be told by someone else where to go so she can find the pieces of the triangle, instead of figuring out or researching it by herself.

The movie literally has no functional plot is the definition of "dumb action movie".

And I love it for that.

That pretty much infected the entire TR canon as from then on it changed from her being the individual to more of a "Only the Crofts can stop the evil"
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:13   #15295
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
That pretty much infected the entire TR canon as from then on it changed from her being the individual to more of a "Only the Crofts can stop the evil"
Sure, but at least in TRU Richard left messages for Lara because he disappeared late enough in her life that he knew she was going to be an explorer, and were only relevant if Lara herself decided to go to that part on Thailand, she wasn't directed by him to go there; in the reboot trilogy Lara was the one who decided to go through his research and he never left her a secret "world saving" mission (though he did left a riddle to find Amelia's grave); and on the 2018 movie, Richard left a very easily solvable riddle so Lara could go and find his secret office just to burn everything about Himiko, and not to have her go find Yamatai and end his mission or whatever.

And of those three, the "only Crofts can stop evil" trope is only present on the 2018 movie as well, but again, Richard wanted Lara out of that life, so at least she was the one who decided to do it, not him.