Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 19-10-19, 17:34   #1561
dg1995

I finished this game for the second time.(I became a TR fan since last year.)

Really that Eckhardt's bossfight was so awful and anti-climatic. They build him up as the main villain very well but then his fight with Lara was so disappointing.
He just fires electricity/fire at Lara and you have to wait a lot in that fight. It was also disappointing that he never tried to kill Lara by grabbing her with his electric glove.

Have some questions about the story that were never answered from what I know:

1.What really happened to that Bouchard's man that was mutating ?
Was Karel the person that did that?(But it doesn't make sense since we know Karel was mimicking Eckhardt and so he always electrocuted victims to death.)

2.Karel told Lara that he helped her in Paris and Prague in disguise. Which characters whom Lara saw in AOD were actually Karel ?
Was Bouchard, Karel all along ?
I also saw some say that that reporter guy was Karel but it doesn't make sense since Eckhardt kills him.(And as a shapeshifter, Karel could easily just revert back to his Karel skin.)

3.And finally who killed Bouchard ? It was clear that he wasn't been killed by Eckhardt.

sorry for asking too many questions about the story.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 18:27   #1562
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
I finished this game for the second time.(I became a TR fan since last year.)

Really that Eckhardt's bossfight was so awful and anti-climatic. They build him up as the main villain very well but then his fight with Lara was so disappointing.
He just fires electricity/fire at Lara and you have to wait a lot in that fight. It was also disappointing that he never tried to kill Lara by grabbing her with his electric glove.

Have some questions about the story that were never answered from what I know:

1.What really happened to that Bouchard's man that was mutating ?
Was Karel the person that did that?(But it doesn't make sense since we know Karel was mimicking Eckhardt and so he always electrocuted victims to death.)

2.Karel told Lara that he helped her in Paris and Prague in disguise. Which characters whom Lara saw in AOD were actually Karel ?
Was Bouchard, Karel all along ?
I also saw some say that that reporter guy was Karel but it doesn't make sense since Eckhardt kills him.(And as a shapeshifter, Karel could easily just revert back to his Karel skin.)

3.And finally who killed Bouchard ? It was clear that he wasn't been killed by Eckhardt.

sorry for asking too many questions about the story.
While the game doesn't offer concrete answers, here are my guesses.

1: Since Echardkt seems to be in Prague (he talks about Von Croy finding the Obscura painting in the Cabal Cutscene as if he's just heard about it.) while Karel was disguised as him in Paris, I'd say Karel possibly did it if the attack was recent to threaten Bouchard into complying, though it could just have been Echardkt a decent while ago.

2: I think it was Karel only during the Monstrum Crime Scene level, as Bouchard is in the sewers, yet Karel disguised as Echardkt is already at the pawn shop, might possibly be him during the cutscene in the car but there's no way to tell.

I think its intentionally left a bit vague, its entirely possible Luddick was captured in the Strahov after talking to Lara (Maybe even trying the code he got himself) or Karel just transformed into Luddick to screw with Lara, regardless, we know the Luddick we see die is the real one.

3: The original script all-but outrights says Karel killed him and I'd say the game suggets it too, he probably tried to hide from the Cabal in that closet, Karel killed him and took his apperance and then Lara walked in.

Yeah the final boss fight sucks, it's very clearly unfinished and Echardkt was probably ment to have multiple attacks.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 19:52   #1563
MBog

the final battle is actually much more entertaining if instead of crawling and waiting for the attack cicles to end, you try to jump over the fire/electricity spikes. It's all about how you chose to play it honestly.
MBog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 20:03   #1564
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBog View Post
the final battle is actually much more entertaining if instead of crawling and waiting for the attack cicles to end, you try to jump over the fire/electricity spikes. It's all about how you chose to play it honestly.
Yeah its possible and I actually do it that way.
Still its clear the fight is unfinished as a proper final boss would have had mutliple attacks.
Old 19-10-19, 20:21   #1565
dg1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBog View Post
I played it that way. Still that fight is so boring.Especially that stage of the fight when he summons 3 doppelgangers of himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
While the game doesn't offer concrete answers, here are my guesses.

1: Since Echardkt seems to be in Prague (he talks about Von Croy finding the Obscura painting in the Cabal Cutscene as if he's just heard about it.) while Karel was disguised as him in Paris, I'd say Karel possibly did it if the attack was recent to threaten Bouchard into complying, though it could just have been Echardkt a decent while ago.

2: I think it was Karel only during the Monstrum Crime Scene level, as Bouchard is in the sewers, yet Karel disguised as Echardkt is already at the pawn shop, might possibly be him during the cutscene in the car but there's no way to tell.

I think its intentionally left a bit vague, its entirely possible Luddick was captured in the Strahov after talking to Lara (Maybe even trying the code he got himself) or Karel just transformed into Luddick to screw with Lara, regardless, we know the Luddick we see die is the real one.

3: The original script all-but outrights says Karel killed him and I'd say the game suggets it too, he probably tried to hide from the Cabal in that closet, Karel killed him and took his apperance and then Lara walked in.
Thanks for the answers.

As whole the Karel's twist added a lot of questions to the storyline that unfortunately were never answered.

When I finished AOD for the first time last year I was completely convinced that Kurtis was Karel all along.(Which fortunately was proved wrong by that cutscene of Karel and Echardkt watching Lara and Kurtis through the security camera.)
Old 19-10-19, 21:05   #1566
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
I played it that way. Still that fight is so boring.Especially that stage of the fight when he summons 3 doppelgangers of himself.
Yeah, that fight seems kinda poorly tested. You really shouldn't be able to avoid most of it by lying on the ground. There are two major changes that would fix it...

1. Change the height of the blasts more drastically each time. You'd be either forced to quickly duck or jump over. Blasts you have to jump would extend low enough to the floor to prevent command crawling beneath them.

2. Make the clones continue to shoot blasts while Eckhardt summons them. That way they would be alternating and coming from multiple directions for a short time, a bit of more intense action right before you run up and stab him.

Additionally it'd be cool if Lara could shoot Eckhardt during the fight. She obviously can't hurt him, but the occasional recoil would let the player optionally delay some of his attacks.

Also does Eckhardts cloning powers seem weird to you guys? Karel is set up as a shapeshifter, but Eckhardt a normal (immortal) man with a glove. Creating false clones that join to become yourself feels like more of an Illusionist power...maybe recycled from Rouzic's fight?
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 21:07   #1567
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Yeah, that fight seems kinda poorly tested. You really shouldn't be able to avoid most of it by lying on the ground. There are two major changes that would fix it...

1. Change the height of the blasts more drastically each time. You'd be either forced to quickly duck or jump over. Blasts you have to jump would extend low enough to the floor to prevent command crawling beneath them.

2. Make the clones continue to shoot blasts while Eckhardt summons them. That way they would be alternating and coming from multiple directions for a short time, a bit of more intense action right before you run up and stab him.

Additionally it'd be cool if Lara could shoot Eckhardt during the fight. She obviously can't hurt him, but the occasional recoil would let the player optionally delay some of his attacks.

Also does Eckhardts cloning powers seem weird to you guys? Karel is set up as a shapeshifter, but Eckhardt a normal (immortal) man with a glove. Creating false clones that join to become yourself feels like more of an Illusionist power...maybe recycled from Rouzic's fight?
Possibly.

I'm fairly certain Eckhardts' boss fight was thrown in last-second.
Old 20-10-19, 04:00   #1568
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

I'm satisfied that all of the Tomb Raider games will launch into my own pc properly. Especially with this Tomb Raider game as well at least. Was there going to be any scenes about Luther Rouzic?
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-19, 07:51   #1569
TR-Freak
Unverified

The Eckhardt fight was indeed anti climactic. Something like TRL's Rutland would have been better. Something more puzzly.
Eckhardt is basically destroying himself by making those clones and being vulnerable when merging them again. there should have been more variety after lara stabs him the first time but he simply repeats.
Not very "Dark Alchemist"-like if you ask me.

Last edited by TR-Freak; 20-10-19 at 07:53.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-19, 21:05   #1570
dg1995

Really it's disappointing that that fight was disappointing. Eckhardt is one of the best and most interesting villain in the history of TR.

BTW I found a bug today. Whenever Lara sprints, she will un-equip weapons. But if you do a 180 degree turn before sprinting she will hold the weapon in her right hand during the sprint.