Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 23-04-17, 09:38   #6121
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niveus View Post
Oh my god that was a thing? That's tripe, that is.
^An early idea which was written off , along with others like making Lara an alcoholic and extremely troubled to the point of burning her own manor down .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix View Post
May I add something, this book was the result of a CLOSE collaboration between the Author and the Core members, and it's absolutely endorsed and approved by the whole studio. There would be no reason to lie and make up things to fill the pages. Free to believe otherwise of course, I am just saying what I know, and I am 100% sure none of the things written in the book are work of fiction.
Exactly . Neither the author of the book you're talking about nor Meagan Marie had any valid reason to invent stuff in order to "fill the pages" .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 10:09   #6122
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
She was just for the multiplayer though. They needed another skin...

Hey! Maybe that's what the indiana jones model they made was for. Before Melissa was made. The original TR was initially going to have a choice between playing a man or a woman.
Hmm.. pretty sure it wasn't - TR was originally going to feature a male lead ONLY ..
Eidos then said "well, this is Indiana Jones, you can't so that!" and so they made him into a female.. creating Lara.

Thats what I've heard over and over anyway - its even in the interviews and documentaries
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 10:37   #6123
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix View Post
That's what the book says:

"LucasArts, the development studio created by George Lucas, contacts Core Design after having heard about this title (AE) which risks to end up being forgotten. They want the Derby studio to turn Anniversary Edition into an Indiana Jones game! In no time, Lara gets replaced by the famous adventurer. The visual result is really... peculiar. [...] CORE Design renames the game in "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost tomb" in a symbolic way. The English developers make the first changes in a few weeks time span, but after seeing the first trailer, LucasArts decides to not pursue this adventure further."

No mention of Eidos in any way. I think it's probably implied that LucasArts first approached them to get the permission, and at that point Eidos probably couldn't care less about AE and let them do what they wanted to, but that's just my own speculation. After all, had LucasArt kept the game, it would've been published as an indiana Jones game, not Tomb Raider. Maybe Eidos was perfectly fine with this.
Thank you for taking the time to translate it but unfortunately, this only confuses me more because Eidos owned Core at the time. Core would not have been able to work for or collaborate with any other publisher without Eidos' permission. I'm not necessarily saying that the book's author is wrong but I just don't understand how all of this is supposed to have happened. Was this part of Eidos trying to sell Core to other publishers?

Last edited by Zebra; 23-04-17 at 10:40.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 12:02   #6124
Hazelphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Thank you for taking the time to translate it but unfortunately, this only confuses me more because Eidos owned Core at the time. Core would not have been able to work for or collaborate with any other publisher without Eidos' permission. I'm not necessarily saying that the book's author is wrong but I just don't understand how all of this is supposed to have happened. Was this part of Eidos trying to sell Core to other publishers?
You could be right, perhaps Eidos was trying to get rid of CORE by selling the company, and this happened to be the right occasion. The terms of the negotiations aren't mentioned in the book but maybe they overlooked that part because it felt almost obvious? Or is it possible that all of this happened prior reaching out to Eidos to get the permission to publish the game under LucasArts' direction? Maybe they simply contacted Core to pitch this idea they had in mind and see if it would be good enough to become reality, and then discuss the terms with Eidos later. I don't know anything more than what the book reports as well.

And btw, the last part of my previous post wasn't aimed at you at all
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 12:02   #6125
Caesum

Maybe after TRAE was cancelled Core were going to rebuild the levels to make them less similar to TR1? I could easily imagine Peru remade into Mexico, Greece remade more Roman or even Byzantine, while Natla's Mines could be practically anywhere.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 12:14   #6126
Zebra

^In that case, I guess they could've also changed the order of the locations and levels, theoretically speaking. And they almost certainly would have had to pretty much scrap and replace the Atlantis section (except for Natla's mines) because that just wouldn't have worked for Indiana Jones.
Old 23-04-17, 12:54   #6127
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
- Having a child companion in the early version of TR2013 that we have to babysit , TR : Ascension
IMO a lot of things about Ascension would've been pretty bad like horse riding and defeating giant monsters. It's not that the ideas themselves are bad, but they just don't fit a TR game. Also it would've been a rip-off of Shadow of the Colossus. Thus I don't get the obsession a lot of people have with this concept.

Quote:
- Making Lara a descendant of some supernatural "special" bloodline created by Eckhardt decades ago .
That actually sounds pretty interesting and would explain a lot. Kinda gives me a Buffy the Vampire Slayer vibe.

Quote:
- The addition of an emo/filthy-mercenary cousin of Lara who is also a Tomb Raider .
Emo? She looks pretty punk to me. And aside from the fact that she probably wouldn't have appeared in the story, she reminds me of Tank Girl, who is one of the inspirations for TR I Lara. So the circle would've been complete.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 16:42   #6128
Phlip
Inactive

Do we have a screenshot of this Indiana Jones model? This claim is very, very left-field.
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 16:50   #6129
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
Do we have a screenshot of this Indiana Jones model? This claim is very, very left-field.
We do: http://tomb-of-ash.com/post/15276445...er-anniversary
Old 23-04-17, 17:01   #6130
Hazelphoenix

And the nazi stuff Boobandie mentioned: http://tomb-of-ash.com/post/15307776...natlas-mines-a
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote