Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 03-06-21, 17:48   #1
HeroBrineR

Default Melee combat

This has probably been posted before, but I thought I'd post about it (to bring some fresh activity here, idk).

But is it just me, or is melee combat in this game RIDICULOUSLY overpowered? 3-4 hits with your climbing axe on any enemy, followed by a finisher (whatever they're called, when the white skull icon appears) and the enemy is dead. While hitting the enemy, he's stunned for long enough to not be able to hit you. No need to waste ammo, just rinse and repeat this.

Rise's Lara is on par with the Terminator in terms of strength.
HeroBrineR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 18:50   #2
Wooxman

What difficulty mode do you play on? Single enemies are generally pretty easy to kill in the reboot games, but usually you encounter more than just one enemy. And on the harder difficulty modes, mainly using melee isn't really a viable option since other enemies will shoot at you when you're hitting someone.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 00:13   #3
HarleyCroft

Reboot Lara swings her axe like a drunk with a piņata. I hope she gets some cleaner moves in the inevitable next reboot.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 07:18   #4
HeroBrineR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
What difficulty mode do you play on? Single enemies are generally pretty easy to kill in the reboot games, but usually you encounter more than just one enemy. And on the harder difficulty modes, mainly using melee isn't really a viable option since other enemies will shoot at you when you're hitting someone.
Extreme Survivor. Most of the time it is easier to use weapons, but especially in Kitezh I find it takes too much ammo to do so. It's much more efficient to melee attack them.

Combine this with the 1 free heal per combat enounter, plus the few seconds where Lara cannot take damage after healing (probably halfway through the game)? And you've got yourselves a melee terminator.

I've been thinking of doing a purely stealth / melee playthrough soon. Just got back into the game 2 days ago and finished it 100%, currently messing around with Lara's Nightmare on the hardest difficulty. Lack of proper melee combat here makes it harder lol.

Last edited by HeroBrineR; 04-06-21 at 07:25.
HeroBrineR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-21, 21:37   #5
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroBrineR View Post
This has probably been posted before, but I thought I'd post about it (to bring some fresh activity here, idk).

But is it just me, or is melee combat in this game RIDICULOUSLY overpowered? 3-4 hits with your climbing axe on any enemy, followed by a finisher (whatever they're called, when the white skull icon appears) and the enemy is dead. While hitting the enemy, he's stunned for long enough to not be able to hit you. No need to waste ammo, just rinse and repeat this.

Rise's Lara is on par with the Terminator in terms of strength.
Yep.

When I got sick of the game I Just abused Bandages/the skill that restores you to full health instead of dying once a fight to sprint melee everyone because it's actually faster than trying to shoot them.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-21, 08:08   #6
perryloo

Never liked the axe. Too brutal.
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-21, 21:16   #7
ELIMTBF

Quote:
But is it just me, or is melee combat in this game RIDICULOUSLY overpowered? 3-4 hits with your climbing axe on any enemy, followed by a finisher (whatever they're called, when the white skull icon appears) and the enemy is dead.
Jeez, how many hits with a climbing axe can you survive?! I reckon one would probably do me in, maybe two.

Quote:
I've been thinking of doing a purely stealth / melee playthrough soon. Just got back into the game 2 days ago and finished it 100%, currently messing around with Lara's Nightmare on the hardest difficulty. Lack of proper melee combat here makes it harder lol.
Yeh - this is my approach by default. I try to clear every combat area without being spotted. If they see me, I just let them kill me and try again.

Oh, there's your Terminator comparison. You can stand (well crouch, when she's in attack mode) in front of three baddies, and they'll just stand there shooting you, hitting you with the barrels of their guns for a bit. I'm sat there looking at my watch like "Kill me, I'm here, do it now!!"

But yeh, stealth, it's the most fun way for me. I try to learn the sequence step by step... first take out the guy in the tower... then throw a bottle over there to pull that guard away from the pack, go choke him out, then circle back and get the guy at the back... etc etc.

The only problem with this for me, is that the Arkham games already perfected this style. But it's still fun.

Some of the more "showdown" type fights are fun too, where there's no place for stealth. Especially towards the end. I liked the underwater pool/smoke/laser one too. Although I think the first game had better fights of this sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Reboot Lara swings her axe like a drunk with a piņata. I hope she gets some cleaner moves in the inevitable next reboot.
HAhahahaaa! Yes. And it's the same drunk pinata swing no matter who or what you're targeting, be it highly trained Trinity killer, or... a just chicken or something.

I like doing that in front of the villagers. You know when you stand near to them, and they just watch you? Imagine you're a villager and you finally meet this mysterious woman - the only outsider to come to Kitesh for generations. You've heard a lot about what she's done for your people already. Hell, even the prophet himself has vouched for her. And there she is, just going MENTAL, swinging a climbing axe at your chickens.
ELIMTBF is offline   Reply With Quote