Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 25-01-23, 23:04   #1
Moon-Safari

Default Open World for Manor Only?

Watching the powerwash demo, there is a glimpse of mountains in the distant background outside the gates and it's really giving me otherworldly vibes. I would love to leave the manor and drive a car or a horse, or a bike out into the lands outside the classic manor.

Do you think if there was a long road that went into town with shops that it would ruin the isolation of the manor, even if it was far? Do you think exploring outside classic manor should be exclusively countryside and wilderness?

I would love little unexpected secrets hidden around the estate and beyond. I think the classic manor is perfect to provide a comprehensive full mansion experience, while also allowing for more outdoor areas to be explored.

I'm very curious about what everybody else thinks about this, because it's something I've dreamed of since escaping beyond the gate with the roof cheat and running along the wall and jumping down to the outside to see the paths outside that turned out to be an illusion that lead to nowhere. It was still cool though, and I'd like to see that expanded into actual playable grounds.
Moon-Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-23, 23:07   #2
Tombraider95

All I want is a fully explorable manor. Give me that first and then I'll think about beyond the grounds.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-23, 23:08   #3
Hyper_Crazy

Not needed at all, just give me a fully explorable Croft Manor with some of the grounds. If you wanna explore the countryside outside of an old building maybe try Hogwarts Legacy when it comes out.
Hyper_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-23, 23:12   #4
Pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
All I want is a fully explorable manor. Give me that first and then I'll think about beyond the grounds.
I agree that the manor should be the priority, but I actually like the idea of being able to visit the grounds and maybe some town/village areas beyond that.

I had a vague idea that Lara could improve her PR by investing in local businesses or museums or whatever, so maybe you could actively modify the town area, and/or areas of the manor itself.
Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-23, 23:15   #5
HarleyCroft

...could Lara break into places and loot?
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-23, 23:19   #6
Moon-Safari

I mean look at this.

That makes me want to grab my jeep, motorcycle, or a horse, and go out there and be in that manor connected world.

I agree that full functionality that mixes the multiple puzzles from TR2 and 3 need to be present in the house first before anything.

Pelagius, Idk about making this into a realistic business sim. That sounds a little too goody goody and in the weeds for me. I like systems, but that idea about investing in local businesses sounds like a page out of the reboot comics or something. It's just too ordinary for the TR games. It would be uncomfortably grounded. I wouldn't mind a gun, antique, or clock shop where Lara has a connect who looks into certain things you can bring into town to get background info on. Just nothing like the reboot story with making Lara a bar tender and university student, trying to peg Lara to modern trappings. I like the idea of classic Lara doing a travel journal, but I would never want her to be a tiktok influencer for example. Everything should feel timeless and in another parallel realm where the old world of being disconnected and offline is still preserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Hmmm now that would be an interesting sub plot if it was justified (just enough).
Old 25-01-23, 23:40   #7
Pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon-Safari View Post
I wouldn't mind a gun, antique, or clock shop where Lara has a connect who looks into certain things you can bring into town to get background info on. Just nothing like the reboot story with making Lara a bar tender and university student, trying to peg Lara to modern trappings.
I'm certainly not suggesting Lara would have a 9-5 day job making minimum wage, but aside from something like contacts at an antiques dealer or art museum, or adding a swimming pool or shooting range, I was imagining she could do things like pay to have a rundown church or some georgian houses restored, which I suppose could lead to other discoveries or side-quests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
I think "don't **** where you eat" is the phrase.
Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-23, 23:52   #8
HarleyCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagius View Post
I think "don't **** where you eat" is the phrase.
She messed up the British Museum of Natural History real good.
Good ol' TR3 is Lara at her boldest. I wonder if she would have let Sophia live if she didn't recognize and call her by name.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-23, 00:14   #9
Moon-Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagius View Post
I'm certainly not suggesting Lara would have a 9-5 day job making minimum wage, but aside from something like contacts at an antiques dealer or art museum, or adding a swimming pool or shooting range, I was imagining she could do things like pay to have a rundown church or some georgian houses restored, which I suppose could lead to other discoveries or side-quests.
That would actually be really cool. Old world monuments abandoned and preserving a piece of history, and then doing a renovation with some currency system or xp as you progress through the game. I would love that form of history being explored locally to the manor. And I always enjoyed the Assassins creed upgrades to the town in part 2.
Old 26-01-23, 09:33   #10
Chamayoo

I assume Lara has a huge exterior site. That includes of course the maze, but I could imagine a private cemetery, a kiosk, and a lake (like in Blood Ties).
You mention horses activity and I'm totally convinced the Crofts own a big forest behind their property to do so and hunting.
So while I wouldn't say open world, I see this as a big hub and indeed that would be cool !
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote