Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 22-02-21, 15:12   #1
TombHackR
Golden

Unhappy TombATI not installing

So at the moment I’m running Tomb Raider 1 using DOSBox-X using nGlide to translate the Glide API to Direct3D, letting me run the game perfectly in 1080p. I have a CD image of the game that I simply mount within DOSBox-X and it runs fine.

However as you probably would know, emulating DOS causes the game to often crash upon exiting to main menu (which doesn’t matter so much because I would only exit to the main menu to exit the game really), and occasionally in complex environments. I also have a weird bug that after playing just one CD track, the game stops playing music altogether until you save the game and reload the level.

Anyways, I would like to run the TombATI patch of the game as it’s a win32 application, but I just cannot get it to install. I’m using the TombATI installer from the GLIDOS website, I mount my disc image of the game, but when it gets to the ‘Import from CD’ screen, I click on it and it always says ‘Import failed’. So I thought I could just manually move the files and was wondering where they should be correctly moved to ?

Although I have a couple other questions, I’ve heard that TombATI doesn’t support Intel integrated graphics (this system has AMD integrated graphics), and I’ve heard TombATI uses OpenGL which apparently doesn’t run well on AMD cards compared to Direct3D. So is it even worth continuing trying to switch over to TombATI ?
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-21, 16:14   #2
ATombRaiderFan

You can do a manual setup by following the instructions via the link below. It's the same patch as the one offered by Gildos website, although Gildos made their own modification related to FMVs but it's not essential.

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=214779

Your last paragraph asks whether this is suitable for AMD cards - I've experienced in-game lags on my previous pc which had a AMD graphic card, but it was an old pc so I don't know for sure if the issue is related. It might be worth trying out TombATI anyway to see if it runs well.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-21, 16:33   #3
Opaque79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan View Post
You can do a manual setup by following the instructions via the link below. It's the same patch as the one offered by Gildos website, although Gildos made their own modification related to FMVs but it's not essential.

Your last paragraph asks whether this is suitable for AMD cards - I've experienced in-game lags on my previous pc which had a AMD graphic card, but it was an old pc so I don't know for sure if the issue is related. It might be worth trying out TombATI anyway to see if it runs well.
I doubt that is related as I have an AMD card and TombATI runs perfectly for me
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-21, 18:27   #4
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan View Post

Thank you for the thread link .

I followed the tutorial and have TombATI running. At first the music wasn't working and the water was wrong then I realised I had to edit the tombati.ini file to enable the full soundtrack and disable PlayStation water colours that were enabled by default.

Everything seems okay apart from two big problems. The first is that there is lots and lots of screen tearing, even though vertical sync is enabled. Secondly, the polygons are so wobbly and are considerably much more stable in the 3DFX version. Any ideas how to fix this ?

Update: Pretty much everything is working except the very annoying screen tearing. I've fixed the wobbly polygons by changing the internal resolution from 640x480 to 1440x1080, have set up Unfinished Business, and now deleted the 3DFX version. I would really like to know how to sort out the screen tearing .

Further update: I worked out that I had to download AMD Radeon Graphics Control Panel software and force v-sync through that. The game now works perfectly, so this thread is now redundant.

Last edited by TombHackR; 23-02-21 at 19:16.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-21, 23:48   #5
Lara_Fan1

Sorry for bumping this thread but I wonder if someone can help me.

I've installed TombATI and I've extracted the files from my Tomb Raider GOG folder but when the popup comes up it won't allow me to install the GoG files.

Does anyone know a solution?
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 20:02   #6
Craig Michaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
Sorry for bumping this thread but I wonder if someone can help me.

I've installed TombATI and I've extracted the files from my Tomb Raider GOG folder but when the popup comes up it won't allow me to install the GoG files.

Does anyone know a solution?
I am now having the same issue, and haven't figured out a solution. I have the GOG game installed.
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-21, 17:20   #7
ANoDE
Golden

Hi,

you can try the following (there's several ways to do this, but I'm posting the one that involves the least amount of 3rdparty software)

1) Download 7zip (it's an alternative ZIP solution that recognizes many formats) from here: https://www.7-zip.org/a/7z1900-x64.exe

2) Open "TombATI_v1.7.exe" in 7-zip. You can also rename it to "TombATI_v1.7.zip" first.

2.1) If opened correctly, you will see a folder called "TOMBATI" there. Extract / copy this folder somewhere onto your harddrive (C:\Games\TombAti is a good choice).

3) Go to your GOG's Tomb Raider 1 installation directory.
3.1) Find the file GAME.DAT there and copy it as GAME.CUE
3.2) Start the "DOSBox.exe" (you might only see "DOSBox" depending on your configuration) from the DOSBOX folder. This will start a DOS Prompt.

4) Create a new temporary folder somewhere on your harddrive (C:\Games\TombATITemp is a good choice)

5) From the DOSBox Window, choose "Drives -> Y -> Mount as Harddisk". Select the temporary folder you just created.

6) From the DOSBox Window, choose "Drives -> D -> Mount as Image". Select the GAME.CUE file you just created.

7) In the DOSBox prompt, enter the following command:
Code:
XCOPY /S D:\ Y:\
. You should see a list of files being copied. The files will be copied to the temporary folder you created earlier.

8) Once done, close the DosBox window.

9) Copy the DATA and FMV folders from the Temporary folder you created into the folder you extracted the TombATI_v1.7.exe / Zip to (C:\Games\TombATI in the above example)

10) Start TombATI.exe and enjoy or Start TombUb.exe to start Unfinished Business.

--- If the above is too complicated for you, and you don't mind installing other 3rdparty software, you can also install software like WinCDEmu and mount the GOG.dat File (or renamed GOG.cue file) as a virtual CDROM Drive and start the TombATI_v1.7.exe while the virtual drive is mounted. The installer will recognize the disk and continue normally.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 01:25   #8
Craig Michaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Hi,

you can try the following (there's several ways to do this, but I'm posting the one that involves the least amount of 3rdparty software).
It worked! Thank you! This was *exactly* what I needed to share this with my Intro to Archaeology class today.
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 06:47   #9
ANoDE
Golden

Glad it worked!

I hope your students enjoyed Lara's unique approach to Archeology
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote