Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 24-02-21, 12:05   #91
dg1995

You people take that tribe thing too seriously.

TR at that time was never meant to have a good story. I mean it's also the same game where Lara just attacks area 51 and kill everyone in there.
dg1995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 15:03   #92
PallasAthene

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
Good Point about Opera House being a "modern tomb".
Tombs definitely need to stay and they should be even more present.

What the reboot lacks is isolated atmosphere.
Lara is never truly alone (it's just like Zip and Alister again) and once she is alone, you are already running from crumbling boulders and do QTEs. You blink once and the isolation ended.
I wouldn't like actual cities like Paris though.
Locations like aldwych and the sewers of london or the archeological dig site are perfectly fine.
One of the most common fan criticisms of the reboot was the lack of isolation. The developers insisted they were listening to the fans but then doubled down on the lack of isolation in Shadow by having an entire living civilisation running around.
PallasAthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 18:01   #93
jajay119

I like unconventional or novel urban locations. Venice, Alexandria, the national museum and Aldwych, the louvre are areas that spring to mind. But some areas feel to 'metal universe' samey - the rigg levels, a lot of London, antartica, VCI, area 51 etc. I found them all quite bland but it doesn't help there are so many of them in close succession.

A bit like how one lost civilisation wasn't so bad but having another one in the very next game was a bore. Others are just a downright bore - parisian backstreets for example.Urban levels can be fine but they need variety.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 20:34   #94
Moon-Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I like unconventional or novel urban locations. Venice, Alexandria, the national museum and Aldwych, the louvre are areas that spring to mind. But some areas feel to 'metal universe' samey - the rigg levels, a lot of London, antartica, VCI, area 51 etc. I found them all quite bland but it doesn't help there are so many of them in close succession.

A bit like how one lost civilisation wasn't so bad but having another one in the very next game was a bore. Others are just a downright bore - parisian backstreets for example.Urban levels can be fine but they need variety.
This is a great point. Not all urban areas are created equally. I find all the soviet bases in all games to be rather samey and boring. I like unique urban areas that provide diverse indoor/outdoor variety of scenery to explore. Something with a unique vibe that is distinguishable from any other level made before.
Moon-Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 21:18   #95
Profc

Quote:

Partially agreed. I actually love Parisian Backstreets but don't like the second level the Parisian Ghetto.

Antarctica, Venice, Louvre, and Croft Manor are all interesting locaitons on their own right.
Profc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 10:55   #96
tomblover

Quote:
I like unconventional or novel urban locations.
Yeah, I think what people forget is that Lara rarely explores urban locations at street level, in the same way that you or I would be able to.

That's where the draw comes from. Being able to explore a museum or a night club past its opening hours, or a disused tube station or opera house, or a highly classified military base, or gang hideouts in the sewers...

Parisian Ghetto is the exception to this, but considering there was meant to be a lot more to do in this section of AOD, that was never implemented, I don't think it's fair to judge.

Even levels like Venice, or Thames Wharf, which are a little more "pedestrian" at first glance, are still interesting because they present the player with an inherently unusual environment to traverse (canals, rooftops under construction).

Tokyo, in Legend, could be every bit as interesting, if not for the simplistic level design in that game overall.

Last edited by tomblover; 26-02-21 at 10:59.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 11:30   #97
dg1995

No, Tomb Raider shouldn't have the raider in the games.
dg1995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 21:07   #98
Tesla

The point about tomb raiding feeling like stealing is dumb. That's the whole point, is that Lara raids locations and pilfers the goods. She steals from urban settings just the same. It isn't any more morally sound rummaging through personal belongings in the slave camp in Rise than busting into ruined homes in Vilcabamba.

I do agree about liking urban locations though. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of London in TR3, VCI, and Paris in AoD. It'd be really neat to see her explore catacombs under a city, sort of like what she did at the Louvre or the the museum in Legend.

The idea of scrapping tombs completely is probably just clickbait for the title, but I would like to see a mixture of urban and ancient come back.
Tesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-21, 01:27   #99
Profc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
The point about tomb raiding feeling like stealing is dumb. That's the whole point, is that Lara raids locations and pilfers the goods. She steals from urban settings just the same. It isn't any more morally sound rummaging through personal belongings in the slave camp in Rise than busting into ruined homes in Vilcabamba.

I do agree about liking urban locations though. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of London in TR3, VCI, and Paris in AoD. It'd be really neat to see her explore catacombs under a city, sort of like what she did at the Louvre or the the museum in Legend.

The idea of scrapping tombs completely is probably just clickbait for the title, but I would like to see a mixture of urban and ancient come back.
Agreed.
Lara killed countless mercenaries, killed 2 Business women, massacred the Yakuza, Rutland, Louvre Guards, Tibetan Monks (optional), and killed countless other animals to extinction but stealing is bad
Profc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-21, 02:42   #100
Moon-Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profc View Post
Agreed.
Lara killed countless mercenaries, killed 2 Business women, massacred the Yakuza, Rutland, Louvre Guards, Tibetan Monks (optional), and killed countless other animals to extinction but stealing is bad
There's so much humor in that. Is it a coincidence that they're both pushy blondes business women, or does she just not like blonds lol. Tomb Raider should play like a dark comedy and not take itself seriously. If they're going to lighten the tone of the games (which they absolutely need to) the should add dark humor to keep it edgy. Lara has always been irreverent and unshaped by the most dire of circumstances. Especially now that she's been through some **** after the reboot, being cool and not affected too much by anything would feel like an organic next step.

Best line was "I'm quite famished myself" when threatened by a cannibal. That's dark as hell but somehow brings levity to the situation. Especially the delivery. It was awesome.
Moon-Safari is offline   Reply With Quote