www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 20-08-19, 22:38   #1061
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

They have the rights of Tomb Raider for a short period of time and if they don't make a movie they lose them.

But unfortunately, making a movie is a bit slow. I still remember when Graham King was visiting Australia or Hawaii looking for locations and we didn't have a director yet!

Roar was announced in November ... maybe at the end of the year we have news of the director (if we are lucky). On the other hand, it could happen as with TR2018 and they announce new scriptwriters (we had announcements of 3 screenwriters during the time: Marti Noxon, Evan and later Geneva ) so we must be patient. The script phase is very uncertain.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-19, 23:03   #1062
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider (2018) went through so many writers, there was even a screenplay copyrighted to Steven Knight after Evan came on board but his involvement was never announced in the press. I hope they nail the screenplay sooner this time.

Source

We didn't get any forward movement until Evan came on and Square Enix put a progress to production clause into their option rights.

I wonder who Elizabeth Cantillon is producing from, I assume it's going to be in house with Cantillon acompany bt she's also a producer for Sony mainly under their Columbia banner. Wouldn't it be funny to have Nathan Drake and Lara Croft under the same roof. Let's not give them any ideas to share that universe.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 20-08-19 at 23:20.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-19, 04:49   #1063
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

One of my gripes with the TR2018 film was simply how it took the safe route to storytelling and action. Fun movie, but it served its purpose as summer action-flick fluff.

I hope for the sequel (particularly since Amy Jump coming on board) that they are willing to take more mature risks with the storytelling .
Old 22-08-19, 09:24   #1064
ccroft2003
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
One of my gripes with the TR2018 film was simply how it took the safe route to storytelling and action. Fun movie, but it served its purpose as summer action-flick fluff.

I hope for the sequel (particularly since Amy Jump coming on board) that they are willing to take more mature risks with the storytelling .
This might be a general point of view for us "fans" however the movies are not treated in the same way as the games as the "audience" is not the same... With a 12 rating in the UK rather than an adult audience of 18/R.

Personally (and this might not be what I want to see myself) is that for the next TR to be more successful at the box office, they need to do more to merge the character of "Lara" with the original movies that most people know (a very small audience play the latest games and think of AJ when you say Lara Croft) and aim for the same, light-hearted adventure "fun" as with the likes of Jumanji? After all, the sequel to "Welcome to the jungle" was greenlit almost straight away following its success and comes out this year!

Personally, I think TR these days takes it's self far too seriously...
Old 22-08-19, 17:11   #1065
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Just saw Dora,

It is the best Tomb Raider movie ever,

If you liked Lara’s origin story in Last Revelation,

YOU WILL LOVE THIS! It also clearly takes notes from
The games like the Dagger of Xi’an level where your
About to take the dagger and the trap door opens.

Also TR2018 was way too overpriced, Dora was made only for $50M and a water rapid sequence doesn’t cost 44M. There is soo many tombs and environments and the director stays in the locations to let you soak up the atmosphere.

I think maybe they should direct the TR sequel.

They clearly have a love for Incan history but his Lara would be more of an explorer like Dora vs a treasure hunter like Indy... or let’s face it: Lara! He has too much respect for Mexican culture I can’t see him directing a British woman running around causing trouble which is kind of what everyone here wants to see. That is the TR brand.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 22-08-19 at 17:13.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-19, 17:54   #1066
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Dora is like Jumanji... Too much comedy, very fake scenarios, horrible FX (the monkey is scary) ... it's not what I want for a TR movie, sorry.
Old 22-08-19, 17:59   #1067
Ellioft
Professor

The TR movie cost between 70 and 75 millions if I remember the rest was for the promo.
Old 22-08-19, 18:12   #1068
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
The TR movie cost between 70 and 75 millions if I remember the rest was for the promo.
No. All budgets in boxofficemojo are just movie costs. The cost of promotion and marketing is never disclosed. That's why a movie always has to do x3 of the revealed budget in the boxoffice to be profitable. Officially TR cost 94M without promo.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 22-08-19 at 18:16.
Old 23-08-19, 09:29   #1069
ccroft2003
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Dora is like Jumanji... Too much comedy, very fake scenarios, horrible FX (the monkey is scary) ... it's not what I want for a TR movie, sorry.
Yeah, the fx in the trailer looks terrible and the sets look fun but too fake and "Theme park" like... Also, the acting is awful!

That said, I think a TR movie that is more about ADVENTURE would do much better, with a cheeky Lara out-smarting people to get what she wants. A TR movie that isn't driven by "serious daddy issues" that takes itself too seriously.

No one really cares (especially the movie audience) about what makes Lara "tick", they just want a fun movie-watching her kick-ass!
Old 23-08-19, 10:33   #1070
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccroft2003 View Post
No one really cares (especially the movie audience) about what makes Lara "tick", they just want a fun movie-watching her kick-ass!
You mean a movie with no stakes like thoses 100 MCU movies ?