www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 30-04-19, 20:03   #111
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

One question I've been thinking on since rewatching the episode earlier on.

How does everyone feel about Melisandre now? Is her character redeemed in any way?

And was Davos about to execute her before she took off her necklace and died anyway?

(sorry for the double post, something went wrong in the edit)
Old 30-04-19, 22:11   #112
rewak
Professor

I honestly don't know. I mean she just followed a prophecy through to it's conclusion, I don't know if that redeems her or not, or if it really tainted her to begin with, she was just following the path fate laid out for her. Then at the end she proved she was committed to that path 100%, she could have just walked away and kept living forever but she accepted this was where her final steps were and took it with grace. I don't know how I feel about it, she could have still helped, she was powerful and they need power for what's next. If she couldn't see past the long night, does that mean her usefulness had ended? I still haven't fully processed that part of it yet. I loved her character though, I wish we got more of her.
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-19, 23:01   #113
Rai

Melisandre is an odd case. I think what rewak said is not wrong. I personally can't forgive her for Shireen. I'm not sure Davos could either and I think he would have felt justified in executing her despite her help (which was mostly useless in the end) . Had she not just walked off and died...of old age, presumably, I think he'd have attempted to but changed his mind mid aim or something. I'm not even fully in understanding in her part in the war and her death. I'm about to rewatch the episode, so maybe a 2nd go will help me. I'll get back to you .
Old 01-05-19, 12:19   #114
Dennis's Mom

TBF, Shireen's parents were totally complicit in her murder, as was his entire army save Davos. At any time, someone could have said, "no throne is worth this."

They've been burning people alive for . . . years? Stannos was as bad as Cersei.
Old 01-05-19, 12:22   #115
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I feel a bit like both of you (rewak and Rai), I don't know how to feel.

I can't forgive her for Shireen but at the same time we saw how she truly was only motivated by saving the world from this horror and so in her mind nothing else counted.

And in a way she was pivotal to saving them all. She gave them hope on the batllefield twice - I know it didn't do much good but it did help them a little hold back the tide until Arya did her thing. And she was the one who prompted Arya to go and kill the NK, without that Arya wouldn't have gone by the looks of it. And..... they'd probably all be dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak
I loved her character though, I wish we got more of her.
Me too. I found her and all the red priest / priestess stuff fascinating along with the Lord of Light. I suppose now Melisandre is gone we won't get answers to any more of that.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 01-05-19 at 12:24.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 15:26   #116
biscuits
Professor

I liked Melisandre. She probably felt guilty with how she kept misinterpreting the Lord's signs and messages, so by the end she just wanted to set things right.
Old 01-05-19, 19:16   #117
Legends
Tomb Raider

The memes after this episode has been gold.

https://old.reddit.com/r/freefolk/co...ter_episode_3/
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-19, 07:10   #118
thabani33
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
As for Arya, the truth is she didn't sneak past. She was let past. The NK controls the wights. He knew she was there, otherwise she would have stabbed the NK in the back. He made the classic blunder of not knowing her skills. Perhaps he'd never fought anyone like her.
She probably transformed herself into a zombie then changed into her original self before jumping into the night king. It baffles me how the writers had forgotten that Arya has this ability. It would have been cool if she used this power to stealth-kill the zombies in the library one by one by fooling them into thinking she's one of them.
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-19, 10:44   #119
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I don't think she was let past, I think she used her abilities to get past with a huge dose of luck. Her abilities allowed her to capitalise on that lucky opening - the NK had everyone stand back (generals and wights) whilst he focused on Bran and completing his mission, he was distracted. Whether Ayra used a mask in some way I suppose we'll find out later but I actually think she was just really really stealthy.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 02-05-19 at 10:45.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 19:47   #120
Cochrane
Gold Contributor

Talking

Took me way too long to get around to watching it, so just some quick notes:

- Wow, this show got dark. Literally. I couldn't see a damn thing for about half the time.
- I am very happy that Theon Greyjoy died as a failure. When he went out, he had just seen his final attempt at doing good come to nothing, and he had to assume that his failure had doomed all of mankind. That's good. It's still better than he deserves, but at least he doesn't get a heroic end, let alone a love interest.
- In all the awesomeness they didn't really put together a coherent story, just a bunch of things that happen with not much relation to one another.
- I love Arya Stark. I'm not sure we've seen her used super effectively throughout the years, but still, she's great.
- I wish I could say the same for Sansa. It's been getting better, but she still could be more of a badass politician/schemer. Her arc has been setting this up since forever, always pairing her with the most scheming of men. We're only getting a bit of payoff now in these past two seasons, but by now it's essentially too late because too many established other characters are around her demanding agency as well.

I agree with the main structural criticisms that others have brought up before. First of all, the fact that we are now in full on fantasy mode, with no major characters dying anymore. Second, that the pivot from "fighting over the throne" to "fighting to stop the end of the world" was not executed particularly well. The way the show completely shifted gears made this seem sudden, despite it being announced right from episode one. These are both criticisms that apply to the current and previous season, not just this episode.

Overall, I think this episode was okay, but it didn't really grip me that much. It was trying too hard to be awesome instead of trying to really tell a story.