www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 05-10-19, 17:22   #21
TR-Freak
Professor

I still dont understand how Yamatai, The geothermal Valley or Paititi are locations people have difficulties to find (well okay, yamatai is/was protected by himiko). just fly with a helicopter .
It's weird that Trinity needs YEARS to find the artifact in rise. Lara just needed a few days and the artifact ITSELF is a few meters away from the village

Except for Tr2 (where you simply need to burn down the wooden door :P) all artifacts are deep down in ruins. Here it makes sense that they are undiscovered for aeons.

Last edited by TR-Freak; 05-10-19 at 17:25.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 18:52   #22
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
I still dont understand how Yamatai, The geothermal Valley or Paititi are locations people have difficulties to find (well okay, yamatai is/was protected by himiko). just fly with a helicopter .
It's weird that Trinity needs YEARS to find the artifact in rise. Lara just needed a few days and the artifact ITSELF is a few meters away from the village

Except for Tr2 (where you simply need to burn down the wooden door :P) all artifacts are deep down in ruins. Here it makes sense that they are undiscovered for aeons.
Well mostly.

The whole Rome thing in Chronicles was weird, the whole thing was located in the middle of a (I think?) city in Rome and the pieces weren't hard to fine.
Old 05-10-19, 19:37   #23
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
The whole Rome thing in Chronicles was weird, the whole thing was located in the middle of a (I think?) city in Rome and the pieces weren't hard to fine.
While Chronicles is my favorite Classic TR game, it indeed has some continuity issues. Lara uses the artifacts (including the Mercury stone she got from the Larson/Pierre couple) to open a ‘portal’ to some ruins, only to fell through a trapdoor and slide down further into the complex. When she finds her way out, it turns out she’s in the modern remnant ruins of the famous Rome Colosseum. So what was the whole point of the adventure? Lara could have just got some permission for ‘archeological’ reasons from the Italian authorities.
Oh no! I’m critiquing my fav Classic TR...

TR3 London makes no sense either. Even TR2 China and TR3 India. Ah well, people will say ‘TR never had a good story, and it doesn’t need one.’ But for me, the interesting stories of the Classics was what got me into TR. A hypocritical woman hiring Lara for her own manipulative motives, a mad Italian mafiaso boss being after a mythical Chinese dagger, Lara unleashing the evil Egyptian god Seth by mistake and facing her own actions, Lara being presumed dead and being reminisced by her old friends. These were all unique. Even Legend (while borrowing elements from the 2001 movie ) and TR2013 had great storylines...
Old 05-10-19, 19:40   #24
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
While Chronicles is my favorite Classic TR game, it indeed has some continuity issues. Lara uses the artifacts (including the Mercury stone she got from the Larson/Pierre couple) to open a ‘portal’ to some ruins, only to fell through a trapdoor and slide down further into the complex. When she finds her way out, it turns out she’s in the modern remnant ruins of the famous Rome Colosseum. So what was the whole point of the adventure? Lara could have just got some permission for ‘archeological’ reasons from the Italian authorities.
Oh no! I’m critiquing my fav Classic TR...

TR3 London makes no sense either. Even TR2 China and TR3 India. Ah well, people will say ‘TR never had a good story, and it doesn’t need one.’ But for me, the interesting stories of the Classics was what got me into TR. A hypocritical woman hiring Lara for her own manipulative motives, a mad Italian mafiaso boss being after a mythical Chinese dagger, Lara unleashing the evil Egyptian god Seth by mistake and facing her own actions, Lara being presumed dead and being reminisced by her old friends. These were all unique. Even Legend (while borrowing elements from the 2001 movie ) and TR2013 had great storylines...
I guess it sticks out a bit more with TR3 London because it wasn't actually til' AOD that the games tried to depict "Realistic" Urban environments, I'm not saying there weren't realistic touches in the older ones but its pretty clear the more "Game-y" elements took priority.

So the layout of Thames Wharf is quite weird with how Lara just goes into this random water plant that even in the context of the whole adventure is a bit random.

I don't really mind it but is something I noticed.
Old 05-10-19, 19:50   #25
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I guess it sticks out a bit more with TR3 London because it wasn't actually til' AOD that the games tried to depict "Realistic" Urban environments, I'm not saying there weren't realistic touches in the older ones but its pretty clear the more "Game-y" elements took priority.

So the layout of Thames Wharf is quite weird with how Lara just goes into this random water plant that even in the context of the whole adventure is a bit random.

I don't really mind it but is something I noticed.
TR3 India - Lara is in a random jungle area with no context on how she got there...

TR3 London - Lara on London rooftops... for what? Why wasn’t she at least on the streets, you know, at the ground...

TR2 China - Why didn’t Lara’s helicopter drop her off a bit further for ease? :P

TR2 Venice - Why does she start the level dropping off... from the rooftops?

Old 05-10-19, 20:16   #26
TrustyBow
Professor

They weren't even trying with TR3's story. The developers were just like "Lets put her places."
Old 05-10-19, 20:21   #27
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
They weren't even trying with TR3's story. The developers were just like "Lets put her places."
And yet, it ended up being the best classic TR game
Old 05-10-19, 20:25   #28
Lyle Croft
Relic Hunter

They should take this for inspiration
Old 05-10-19, 20:33   #29
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
And yet, it ended up being the best classic TR game
I hate TR2 and TR3. I don’t know what people find in them.

TR2 just used TR1’s success to be a best-seller of the franchise until 2013... >.>

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 05-10-19 at 20:34.
Tomb Raidering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 20:39   #30
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
I hate TR2 and TR3. I don’t know what people find in them.

TR2 just used TR1’s success to be a best-seller of the franchise until 2013... >.>
TR2 is the TR I like the least in all fronts, so I half agree with this xD