www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 23-09-19, 11:26   #1
_Seth
Archaeologist

Default Myths About the TR Franchise

So we all know there are loads of myths about TR perpetuated by the GP that we at TRF know are untrue, so let me ask this; what myths does the TR fandom itself perpetuate? I'll start with a couple of observations of mine:

Classic TR is filled with puzzles galore.

There's this weird myth that classic TR gameplay is largely about puzzle solving, which is completely made up. Apart from TR4 with featured a fair few, the other classic games did not. Gameplay was mostly exploration and fetch quest based. See a locked door with a unique looking keyhole? Go find the key via traversal, exploration and land mapping. You could maybe argue the level designs themselves were a puzzle, but finding a key and using it or pulling a lever isn't a puzzle. That doesn't require lateral thinking to overcome, lol. The only puzzles that come to mind from TR1-3 are the Palace Midas levers and the Lost City of Tinnos food chain puzzle. Other than that, what else is there?

Classic Lara was an invincible, one-liner dropping ice queen bitch who always gracefully landed on her feet.

If you go back and watch a cutscene compilation of classic TR, you'll see this bizarre notion is fully untrue. She was actually clumsy, short sighted, reckless and infrequently landed a gymnastics pose. See: How often she has her weapons taken away after being captured, haphazardly crashing the Area 51 compound fence on a quad bike, her stumblingly slipping aboard Natla's boat the first time after Sanctuary of the Scion, and then loosing balance the exact same way after climbing aboard again after The Great Pyramid.

Lara entered one-liner territory with TR3 only, other than that, as much as being a woman of few words, she was quite normal. She was never rude to those that didn't threaten her, and even in TR3 where she's dubbed the most psycho killer, she selflessly offers to get the wounded Australian out of the South Pacific village. In TR4 she helps Azizas, a wounded mercenary, and in TR5 even tries to help a bribe-taking U-boat commander.
Old 23-09-19, 11:58   #2
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

I totally agree with most of your points (excluding the one-liners starting with TR3 )

I adore LAU and Reboot Lara’s character because they are somewhat similar to the Classic’s personality. They’re all human. They make mistakes. They have conscience. TR wasn’t just about puzzles and tombs (at least until TR2 ). It had variety, taking you from cities to caves, ships to islands, deserts to catacombs and so on. Urban environments were part of the experience and they’re gone since Anniversary...

Myths according to me:

Lara must be serious all the time, and a dark, gritty story must accompany it.

LAU Lara was a Classic Lara knock-off. No, she wasn’t. She just had an altered backstory to make a story accompanying it. It was their take on the iconic character after all.
Old 23-09-19, 12:04   #3
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post

There's this weird myth that classic TR gameplay is largely about puzzle solving, which is completely made up. Apart from TR4 with featured a fair few, the other classic games did not. Gameplay was mostly exploration and fetch quest based. See a locked door with a unique looking keyhole? Go find the key via traversal, exploration and land mapping. You could maybe argue the level designs themselves were a puzzle, but finding a key and using it or pulling a lever isn't a puzzle. That doesn't require lateral thinking to overcome, lol. The only puzzles that come to mind from TR1-3 are the Palace Midas levers and the Lost City of Tinnos food chain puzzle. Other than that, what else is there?
Depends what someone classes as a puzzle. For me, a puzzle in Tomb Raider is having to stop and think about what my next move is. Am I going the right way? Which area do I need to go first? How do I get up there? How do I open this door? etc... This is what I found fun, you were dropped somewhere and had to figure everything out yourself with no hand holding. No it's true TR1-3 doesn't have many man made mechanism puzzles but that was fine because the rest of the game required all the thinking.

Uncharted The Lost Legacy Chapter 4 is one of the best modern examples of the classic Tomb Raider puzzle. You start off in the jeep in this huge environment with an objective to open the door in the cliff. It's then up to you to find out how to open it exploring the whole area thinking about what you've got to do next.

The area includes mini puzzles such as trap rooms and rotating picture puzzles which are obviously the "man made" type of puzzle, but the chapter as a whole I think is just as much of a puzzle.

This is one of my problems with the reboot, there was too much hand holding. They gave you these areas to explore but constantly showed you what to do. Even in Shadow with hints/SE turned off it still showed pop ups of game mechanics that I already knew how to perform.

I can't really think of any myths at the moment.
Old 23-09-19, 12:12   #4
_Seth
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
Depends what someone classes as a puzzle. For me, a puzzle in Tomb Raider is having to stop and think about what my next move is. Am I going the right way? Which area do I need to go first? How do I get up there? How do I open this door? etc... This is what I found fun, you were dropped somewhere and had to figure everything out yourself with no hand holding. No it's true TR1-3 doesn't have many man made mechanism puzzles but that was fine because the rest of the game required all the thinking.

Uncharted The Lost Legacy Chapter 4 is one of the best modern examples of the classic Tomb Raider puzzle. You start off in the jeep in this huge environment with an objective to open the door in the cliff. It's then up to you to find out how to open it exploring the whole area thinking about what you've got to do next.

The area includes mini puzzles such as trap rooms and rotating picture puzzles which are obviously the "man made" type of puzzle, but the chapter as a whole I think is just as much of a puzzle.

This is one of my problems with the reboot, there was too much hand holding. They gave you these areas to explore but constantly showed you what to do. Even in Shadow with hints/SE turned off it still showed pop ups of game mechanics that I already knew how to perform.

I can't really think of any myths at the moment.
I see what you're saying but I think your description of a puzzle in the first paragraph is too vague and broad, which dilutes what a real puzzle is. That LL example still more of a let-me-explore-to-find-the-solution task than anything else, I think. LL has loads of traditional actual puzzles, which bore me to death with their tedium, to be fair. I play TR to explore and discover, not to be slowed down by monotonous icon-matching enigma puzzles.
Old 23-09-19, 12:26   #5
TR1249
Archaeologist

One Myth is Lara's big boobs were an accident made by Toby Guard.
Old 23-09-19, 12:27   #6
Baslakor
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post

Lara must be serious all the time, and a dark, gritty story must accompany it.
This is not a myth. It's simply a different approach to the game that according to market research would wield most financial success. First attempted in AOD and later in the reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth
Depends what someone classes as a puzzle.
I think the best definition for in this scenario would be:

"a game, toy, or problem designed to test ingenuity or knowledge."

From this point you can argue that all the levels were big puzzles. Yet I do agree the levels themselves did not contain a lot of puzzles themselves though.
Baslakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 12:47   #7
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baslakor View Post
This is not a myth. It's simply a different approach to the game that according to market research would wield most financial success. First attempted in AOD and later in the reboot.
It’s a myth for me because they think only these kinds of stories will be a financial success. You can make a fun story and with the right marketing you can make it a hit too...
Old 23-09-19, 13:07   #8
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:

....Other than that, what else is there?
TR 1- Palace of midas: You have to observe your surroundings in order to know: how to obtain gold bars and which combination of switches open a certain door.
TR 1- Cistern: you have to pay attention the way of your progress, because you can end up in a dry room, with an underwater switch or vice versa.
TR 3 - Aldwych. The door room. There is a pattern, but opening the doors randomly let you progress eventually.
TR6 - The whole game is a puzzle, missing way too many pieces...

Quote:
Classic Lara was an invincible, one-liner dropping ice queen bitch who always gracefully landed on her feet.

...Lara entered one-liner territory with TR3 only, ...
TR 1
- "Thank you! I will."
-"If that is the prhase."
-" And you. For a grand reopening, I assume."

TR 2
- "Don't you think, you've seen enough?"

If I learnt something from Lara, is that every myth has some truth to it.

Last edited by Zsott; 23-09-19 at 13:41.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 13:13   #9
TR-Freak
Professor

I think it's funny that people think that mechanisms = puzzle.
In Classic TR, for me the levels themselves are the puzzles. Palace Midas, Temple of Xian, Aldwych, Alexandria and Cairo as a whole...

Just because you dont have big ass mechanisms in your view doesnt mean that its not a puzzle.
Shadow is a good example how to not do it. You have exactly 3 "puzzles", which are the three trials. which are contained in itself. once you solve these, you never go back to them (you are actually unable to go if i recall correctly).
The levels in Classic TR are too interconnected, giving you "Oh yes, i am here!" and "yes! progress" - feelings, it would be unfair to call it boring gameplay.
Old 23-09-19, 13:32   #10
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I see what you're saying but I think your description of a puzzle in the first paragraph is too vague and broad, which dilutes what a real puzzle is. That LL example still more of a let-me-explore-to-find-the-solution task than anything else, I think. LL has loads of traditional actual puzzles, which bore me to death with their tedium, to be fair. I play TR to explore and discover, not to be slowed down by monotonous icon-matching enigma puzzles.
But puzzles can be different for different people. You say yourself you don't like the traditional LL puzzles of matching icons. Like I said to me, the classic Tomb Raider puzzles were the levels themselves, in a nutshell. Because there was no immediate direction or hand holding or hits or pop ups or dialogue from Lara.

But yes mechanism wise there weren't many in TR1-3, but that doesn't mean those games weren't "puzzling".