Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 22-07-10, 03:27   #1
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

Arrow Nickelodeon's Avatar General Thread

The Series:

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Books 1-3

Quote:
Avatar: The Last Airbender (also known as Avatar: The Legend of Aang) is an American animated television series that aired for three seasons on Nickelodeon and the Nicktoons Network. The series was created and produced by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, who served as executive producers along with Aaron Ehasz. Avatar is set in an Asian-influenced world of Chinese martial arts and elemental manipulation. The show drew on elements from traditional Asian culture, blending the styles of anime and US domestic cartoons.

The series follows the adventures of the main protagonist Aang and his friends, who must save the world by defeating the evil Fire Lord and ending the destructive war with the Fire Nation. The pilot episode first aired on February 21, 2005 and the series concluded with a widely-praised two-hour television movie on July 19, 2008. The show is available from the following sources: on DVD, the iTunes Store, the Zune Marketplace, the Xbox Live Marketplace, the PlayStation Store, Netflix Instant Play, and on Nicktoons.

Avatar: The Last Airbender was popular with both audiences and critics, garnering 5.6 million viewers on its best-rated showing and receiving high ratings in the Nicktoons lineup, even outside its 6–11-year-old demographic. Avatar has been nominated for and won awards from the Annual Annie Awards, the Genesis Awards, the primetime Emmy awards and a Peabody Award among others. The first season's success prompted Nickelodeon to order second and third seasons. The first part of a live-action movie trilogy titled The Last Airbender, directed by M. Night Shyamalan, was released on July 1, 2010.

Merchandise based on the series includes scaled action figures, a trading card game, three video games based on the first, second, and third seasons, stuffed animals distributed by Paramount Parks, and two LEGO sets. An art book was released in mid-2010.
The Legend of Korra

Quote:
The Legend of Korra is an American animated television series that premiered on the Nickelodeon television network on April 14, 2012. The series is a sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender, which aired on the same network from 2005 to 2008. The Legend of Korra is currently set to run for a total of 26 episodes, consisting of two seasons of 12 and 14 episodes respectively. It takes place in the same fictional universe as the original show, whose societies have incorporated in them a multitude of elements derived from East Asian and Inuit cultures.

The series takes place 70 years after the original when technology has advanced to that of around the 1920s on Earth. In it, some people have the ability known as "bending" by which they control and manipulate either water, earth, fire, or air. One bender, known as the "Avatar" and described as the "physical embodiment of the world's spirit", has the power to bend all four elements and is responsible for maintaining both the balance of nature and peace between the world's four great nations. Korra, the protagonist of the new series, is the next incarnation of the Avatar after Aang of the original series. Set seventy years after the defeat of Phoenix King Ozai and Princess Azula in the four-part finale of the original show, creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko follow Korra as she learns the art of airbending, having mastered the other three elements, while facing an anti-bender revolution by a group known as the Equalists.

Film:

The Last Airbender

Quote:
The Last Airbender is a 2010 American epic adventure fantasy film released on July 1, 2010. It is a live-action film adaptation based on the first season of the animated television series Avatar: The Last Airbender. The film stars Noah Ringer as Aang, a reluctant hero who prefers adventure over his job as the Avatar. Aang and his friends, Katara and Sokka, journey to the North Pole to find a Waterbending master to teach Aang and Katara the secrets of the craft. At the same time, Fire Lord Ozai, the current Fire Lord of the Fire Nation, is waging a seemingly endless war against the Earth Kingdom, the Water Tribes, and the already vanquished Air Nomads. The film also stars Nicola Peltz, Jackson Rathbone, and Dev Patel.

The first of a planned trilogy, The Last Airbender was produced by Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies. Development for a film began in 2007; it was adapted into a film by M. Night Shyamalan, who also directed and produced. Other producers include Frank Marshall, Kathleen Kennedy, Sam Mercer and Scott Aversano. The series from which it was adapted was influenced by Asian art, mythology and various martial arts fighting styles and was created by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Filming began in mid-March 2009; the movie was released in both traditional two-dimensional projectors, as well as in 3D (using the RealD 3D format).

The Last Airbender was made for $150 million and marketed with a budget of $130 million, making total costs at least $280 million. Other estimates put the cost between $100 million and $110 million, while various news sources reported the whole Last Airbender trilogy would be made for around $250 million. Premiering in New York City on June 30, 2010, it opened in the United States the following day, grossing an estimated $16 million.

Last edited by Carbonek_0051; 23-09-13 at 15:09.
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-10, 03:28   #2
]{eith

I've watched the first two episodes of the series. I enjoyed them and I'll definitely get back to watching more sometime.
]{eith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-10, 03:33   #3
Catracoth
Inactive

I thought the show had a good plot, but I found the show boring, so I never watched more than a couple of episodes, mainly if nothing else was on TV .
Catracoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-10, 03:37   #4
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]{eith View Post
I've watched the first two episodes of the series. I enjoyed them and I'll definitely get back to watching more sometime.
Yes you really do need to get back to it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catracoth View Post
I thought the show had a good plot, but I found the show boring, so I never watched more than a couple of episodes, mainly if nothing else was on TV .
The show's plot got much better as the seasons went on, the first season was the only one with a really slow pace. Season 2 & 3 were amazing however, you really need to try and give the series a chance. It's a great show, and probably the best animated show Nickelodeon had on their network.
Old 22-07-10, 03:42   #5
:}hello friend

I can't wait until 2011.
:}hello friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-10, 03:43   #6
Tombraiderx08

More excitement! I still need to see the movie...*hides*
Tombraiderx08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-10, 04:06   #7
Catracoth
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonek_0051 View Post
probably the best animated show Nickelodeon had on their network.
I have to disagree on that, I think Rocko's Modern Life and Rugrats surpass any show that's on now .
Old 22-07-10, 04:13   #8
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

If you never really watched the show outside of a few episode you can't really judge fairly. I think those shows were good, but they weren't half as well written as this one.
Old 22-07-10, 04:20   #9
Catracoth
Inactive

That's because neither had a definite storyline. They were all spontaneous. I prefer cartoons like that.
Old 22-07-10, 04:25   #10
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

That's what I liked about this, it wasn't just stand alone episodes that didn't continue into eachother. This had continuity and had a huge story arch, plus all the mythology and the world of fantasy was really appealing. The plot was also incredibly beautiful and dealt with themes you wouldn't expect from an animated kid's show. It was just epic.

Last edited by Carbonek_0051; 22-07-10 at 04:26.