www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 23-03-20, 20:02   #10411
Titak

^
The first version of my Himalayan Mysteries game (the full version in pre-TREP and pre-NGLE times, unreleased) used animated objects to simulate the snow.
It did indeed work fine.
Didn't look that bad either, considering.

I seem to remember the object having the animation: going down slowly, then immediately going back up in such a way that the animation looked seamless.
But I'm not 100% sure about that.
Could have been scrolling textures.
Old 24-03-20, 13:02   #10412
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

imagine using an object for ever few tiles anytime you need snow or rain sdfgisdgdsfgdsfgdsgfsdgsgfdgsfgdsf

thank god that wasnt a thing when i started
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-20, 08:43   #10413
MarlenaCrystal
Student

Yeah, some things were really frustrating and laborious, but as it is with a game without the opportunity of having a walkthrough - it made you a lot more happy in the end, if you made it and if you managed to do something cool with the very limited possibilites back then. (:

And it also demanded much more creativity to create workarounds and to try things out.
MarlenaCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-20, 18:00   #10414
tombraiderfrea
Archaeologist

OK, semi-off topic here, but I still figure it pertains enough to the Level Editor.

But, has anyone else noticed a bit of toxicity going around the TRLE / TR Community lately? Or is it just me? Been going back and forth from the forums and some discord groups and it's staggering how much people talk about one another. Makes me uncomfortable to even share my own works now with some of the things I've seen said about others and myself already.

This community used to be so much more closely knit. Oh well, I guess social media has definitely changed the times a bit. In other news, finally fixed a pesky graphical / joint error in an outfit I'm working on for my level set, so that's exciting.
Old 25-03-20, 18:38   #10415
Titak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombraiderfrea View Post
it's staggering how much people talk about one another. Makes me uncomfortable to even share my own works now with some of the things I've seen said about others and myself already.

This community used to be so much more closely knit. Oh well, I guess social media has definitely changed the times a bit.
Yes, I've noticed that as well.

I think the mood in this TRLE section here is still good though.
People generally being nice to eachother.
Same on the trle.net forums.

No idea what people might talk about behind our backs on other platforms though...
But I think it is weird to play nice in one place and then shame in another place.
Old 25-03-20, 18:46   #10416
tombraiderfrea
Archaeologist

That's something I'm having trouble wrapping my head around as well. I couldn't speak ill of another person behind their back, personally.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that's noticed the change though. I'm glad to hear that things are still civil here, at least.
Old 25-03-20, 18:57   #10417
JMN
Explorer

Main reason why I left Discord. Just too much drama and trashing of other people, kinda like an echo chamber.
JMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-20, 21:50   #10418
MarlenaCrystal
Student

Well, yeah, you're not alone with these thoughts about toxicity in the community. Sorry to hear, that you feel uncomfortable.. no one should feel unfomfortable when sharing something in which he or she maybe put a lot of work and effort in it. ://

But there are a lot of good people in this community and also there are a lot of communities, which are 100 times worse, so just cling to the positive people, who encourage you.
MarlenaCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-20, 10:08   #10419
Dermahn
Hobbyist

I've been active in various Skype and Discord TRLE servers over the last decade and there have definitely been toxic moments but I think it's been calming down over the years as we've all been getting older. I don't know how it is in other Tomb Raider Discord servers but the TRLE server I'm a member of is generally pretty calm. There have definitely been moments where people have complained about things posted here but I don't think they are the norm nor are they a reason why I would leave the server.
I understand that it can be a bit of a shock to come from this subforum, where people generally post nice things about your work, into a community where people tend to be more open about their thoughts.
I think some amount of 'toxicity' is to be expected in any community. If you walk in anywhere and expect it to be all sugar and rainbows, I think that's quite naive.
This subforum hasn't always been this nice either. A long time ago you were yelled at for asking simple questions, like how to create a water room. And don't forget the recent drama surrounding the latest Create a Classics competition.
I'm not here to defend the actions of other people. Just throwing my thoughts out.
Dermahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-20, 10:10   #10420
New Dwight
Professor

Discord is a platform made for toxic ppl.