Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 12-10-19, 22:19   #27921
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle croft View Post
i hope they don't butcher the myths in the next movie.

I liked how cd adapted real life myths and took a different spin on it.

It's an abomination that the movie turned himiko into a disease carrying individual. >
thank you! ! !
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 22:59   #27922
Lyle Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
thank you! ! !
That's honestly one of my gripes, Alicia played the survivor version of Lara excellently, with a good mesh of old and new.

But from the plot, to the locations, to how they handled himiko, HER FATHER...i'm just disappointed.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 23:06   #27923
malferink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothlegend View Post
Just dropping in to say I’m on my 2nd run of Shadow, having bought all of the DLC and it’s easy to state that this is the most classic feeling Tomb Raider of the reboot era. I’m finding plenty of things in the base game I’d never found before and the sheer wonder and adventure in this title is so evocative of the originals that it just makes me so happy! It’s one of the best meetings of classic vs new that they could have done and I’m proud that they worked so hard on this (bugs aside )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
I wholeheartedly agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
100% this.
See this is really strange to me. I've been thinking a lot about this and love to hear other peoples thoughts, be sure to let me know.

Thing is that I feel like Rise had so much more secret areas, secret places and other stuff to find in the hubs. Shadow felt really linear to me, even in the bigger hubs. Where as in Rise I felt like I constantly discovered something new. One thing that immediatly comes to mind is a part in Geothermal Valley (iirc) on your way to the Acropolis. There's a part there where, when you swim underwater, you reach a place on the other side of a gate which you have seen earlier. There's just a little cache or document to find I believe but that part felt really classic TR to me, just that sense of wonder, of discovery. I don't think I ever experienced something like that in Shadow, or at least I don't remember.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts about this! I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who prefers Rise over Shadow. (except for patrick_star)
malferink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 23:15   #27924
xspacedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by malferink View Post
See this is really strange to me. I've been thinking a lot about this and love to hear other peoples thoughts, be sure to let me know.

Thing is that I feel like Rise had so much more secret areas, secret places and other stuff to find in the hubs. Shadow felt really linear to me, even in the bigger hubs. Where as in Rise I felt like I constantly discovered something new. One thing that immediatly comes to mind is a part in Geothermal Valley (iirc) on your way to the Acropolis. There's a part there where, when you swim underwater, you reach a place on the other side of a gate which you have seen earlier. There's just a little cache or document to find I believe but that part felt really classic TR to me, just that sense of wonder, of discovery. I don't think I ever experienced something like that in Shadow, or at least I don't remember.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts about this! I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who prefers Rise over Shadow. (except for patrick_star)
You’re 100% not the only one who prefers rise over Shadow.
xspacedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 23:53   #27925
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
That's honestly one of my gripes, Alicia played the survivor version of Lara excellently, with a good mesh of old and new.

But from the plot, to the locations, to how they handled himiko, HER FATHER...i'm just disappointed.
Why are we not best friends?
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 00:07   #27926
Robwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by malferink View Post
Shadow felt really linear to me, even in the bigger hubs.
That's because it is.
Robwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 06:14   #27927
JoelCaesar

Shadow upon reflection is a very linear game. It's pretty much on par with TR2013 in terms of linearity.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 06:29   #27928
laracroftswest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
Shadow upon reflection is a very linear game. It's pretty much on par with TR2013 in terms of linearity.
It doesn't have to be though. With SI turned off when you get to any of the three main hubs you could kinda go anywhere you want. Sure, Unuratu guides you a certain way but that's your choice. Sure, you could follow Abby but there's a wealth of exploration in the areas so that if you didn't want to look at the map or use SI you could kinda go wherever.
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 07:06   #27929
MissJodieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Why are we not best friends?
Because I‘m your bestie lol.
MissJodieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 11:23   #27930
Robwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroftswest View Post
It doesn't have to be though. With SI turned off when you get to any of the three main hubs you could kinda go anywhere you want. Sure, Unuratu guides you a certain way but that's your choice. Sure, you could follow Abby but there's a wealth of exploration in the areas so that if you didn't want to look at the map or use SI you could kinda go wherever.
The vast majority of Paititi and Kuwaq Yaku are beaten paths. Those settlements are more dots along the line than they are branches.
Robwood is offline   Reply With Quote