www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III > The Lost Artifact

Old 13-08-20, 15:12   #31
Nickelony
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
Okay. To my knowledge, the trla.dat file should be placed in the data folder, not the root folder. I've just checked the TLA CD contents (Premiere Collection), and it's in a folder called Script. It is a required file. I wonder why it's not located in the data folder on the disc? Maybe this is how the file structure was pre-patch days?

@Nickelony

I think I have heard of this classic bundle edition. Perhaps they are indeed structured a little differently as you pointed out with TR2+Gold.

So, when you play TR3, do you need the CD in the drive with that edition? Doubtful, but I wonder if this edition saves its settings using a different method (like a .reg entry), seeing as you cannot find any config file. Have you tried an actual search on your PC for that config file?

Can you show the contents of your TR3/TLA game folders? Where are the tombpc.dat (TR3) & trla.dat (TLA) files located? As there might be some build/structure differences, it's worth comparing to mine. Also, your friends "100% working TR3GOLD" copy that you tried and was still faced with a crash - was that from one of these newer bundle builds? If not, that points to this issue being some other variable, not related to builds.

Who knows. This whole bundle edition thing has thrown a spanner in the works, but it may not even be related.
My friend's version didn't look like it was from a bundle. It basically looks like yours from the screenshots.

BTW here's how my version (from the bundle) looks like:

cd folder content:

data folder content:

EDIT: I can confirm the game is working on my friend's PC. I sent him the .iso I created of the disc and it's working perfectly fine for him.

Last edited by Nickelony; 13-08-20 at 15:20.
Nickelony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-20, 15:46   #32
laravision
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelony View Post
I can confirm the game is working on my friend's PC. I sent him the .iso I created of the disc and it's working perfectly fine for him.
Strange. Are you still investigating the audio driver/sound device theory?
Old 13-08-20, 15:51   #33
Nickelony
Hobbyist

Quote:
Strange. Are you still investigating the audio driver/sound device theory?
I did, nothing really helped. I can confirm though that there's like 1ms of the main theme playing before it crashes. This is soo odd...
Old 13-08-20, 16:19   #34
laravision
Archaeologist

I'm leaning towards it being related to the config.txt file, absent or not. We need Sardoc to report back on his progress, if any. I wonder if his config file is visible.

If the crash issue is CD/build related, or some Windows variable, then I'm not sure what that could be.
Old 13-08-20, 21:23   #35
Sardoc
Archaeologist

Quote:
I'm leaning towards it being related to the config.txt file, absent or not. We need Sardoc to report back on his progress, if any. I wonder if his config file is visible.

If the crash issue is CD/build related, or some Windows variable, then I'm not sure what that could be.
No, the config file is one of the very first things I've tried. Present or not, copy-pasted values from TR3 or not, multi-patched or not, compatibility or not, even Arsunt-patched or not, it doesn't matter, the game still crashes.

It has to be related to Win 10 version 2004, or some driver or something of the sort, because on my old PC with Windows 7 every single classic TR works flawlessly. No crashes, no freezes, nothing of the sort.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-20, 21:26   #36
Sardoc
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelony View Post
I did, nothing really helped. I can confirm though that there's like 1ms of the main theme playing before it crashes. This is soo odd...
Hm, what's your hardware? Maybe graphics card? Mine is Evga GF 1080 TI, 11GB, driver version 451.67.
Also AMD Ryzen 9 3950X.
Old 13-08-20, 21:36   #37
Mek
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
It has to be related to Win 10 version 2004, or some driver or something of the sort, because on my old PC with Windows 7 every single classic TR works flawlessly. No crashes, no freezes, nothing of the sort.
You wouldn't want to restore your system to Win 10 version 1909 and then check, would you?
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-20, 23:18   #38
Sardoc
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
You wouldn't want to restore your system to Win 10 version 1909 and then check, would you?
No, especially since this machine had 2004 right from the start.

I mean, I can still play TR3 Gold on the old PC, so it's not too big of a deal, but it would be nice if the new PC was cooperating.

Last edited by Sardoc; 13-08-20 at 23:20.
Old 14-08-20, 05:58   #39
ATombRaiderFan
Student

Interesting. Just checked and I'm still using 1909 too.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-20, 08:55   #40
Nickelony
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
Hm, what's your hardware? Maybe graphics card? Mine is Evga GF 1080 TI, 11GB, driver version 451.67.
Also AMD Ryzen 9 3950X.
Well, I already gave my specs earlier, but here is the full thing:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070Ti Mini (Driver version: 451.67)
MOBO: MSI B450M Gaming Plus
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4, 2x8GB, 3200 MHz, CL16

Someone should update to Win10 2004 and check if it works for them.
I tested TR3GOLD on 2 Win10 2004 PCs and the game doesn't launch on either of them.

EDIT: My friend who is running Win10 2004 managed to run TR3GOLD without issues, so I guess that theory is now invalid.

Last edited by Nickelony; 14-08-20 at 09:06.