Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 02-10-20, 22:08   #11
bekim

Nothing but love for this game. One of my first/favorite and IMO it showcased Laras personality in the best way
bekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 16:30   #12
Patrick star

Happy 20th anniversary to the most pointless game in the series <3
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 18:53   #13
HarleyCroft

I had tons of fun with Chronicles growing up
Glad it's still getting love today
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-20, 06:03   #14
klona
Golden

So many happy memories playing this game!
klona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-20, 20:14   #15
Ringtir

Is there any way to fix the mechanics of this game? Specially on the VCI levels.

There's a lot of new stuff that they put without testing it or making a correct function.

I even find weird that there's almost none TRLE projects on TRC data, which has a lot of variety of movements for Lara.
Ringtir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-20, 21:51   #16
UroshUchiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringtir View Post
Is there any way to fix the mechanics of this game? Specially on the VCI levels.

There's a lot of new stuff that they put without testing it or making a correct function.

I even find weird that there's almost none TRLE projects on TRC data, which has a lot of variety of movements for Lara.
If memory serves modding TR5 is almost impossible. Last time I read a discussion about it people said that even by adding something somewhere a trigger elsewhere breaks. But that was a quote I saw a long time ago so not sure how true it is or if something changed by now.
UroshUchiha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 05:04   #17
Girafarig32

Oh man, do I feel old now! TRC was one of my first TR games. It actually came with our PC for free. I have very fond memories of playing this game at a young age, and was mortified when our computer decided to shred the CD into tiny fragments!

As we have seen many times on this forum, Chronicles is a game that often gets overlooked or highly criticised. I think this game has some really beautiful and diverse environments beyond what TR4 had, Rome especially. The music compliments these environments perfectly and to this day gives me chills. Lara has, in my opinion and noted by others, arguably the most personality in this game as she has much more opportunity to interact with enemies and allies. This makes the game a lot more interesting to me. Also there are some really iconic moments in this game like the opera scene that are forgotten for some reason.

Chronicles was also one of the smoothest games to control that we got from Core. There were even subtle technical issues from TR4 like the rope swing and fps/animations that were improved.

Many say it was a filler between TR4 and AoD, but I'd prefer to think of it as a bridge into the next generation of Tomb Raider. And for this it should be celebrated!
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 05:45   #18
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
If memory serves modding TR5 is almost impossible. Last time I read a discussion about it people said that even by adding something somewhere a trigger elsewhere breaks. But that was a quote I saw a long time ago so not sure how true it is or if something changed by now.
Adding somewhere to break a trigger sounds a bit much, but for sure TRC is the most hardcoded game out of the classics. There's a lot of stuff triggering based on level number and levels that need one type of object on the map otherwise the engine crashes. It is possible to create new levels but it's quite a hassle
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 19:12   #19
mepsipax

When I was a kid my parents would take my sister and me on a day trip every so often. When I was 8ish, I remember that I went to a very rustic, second-hand bookshop called Vibes and Scribes in Cork here in Ireland, and my parents let me run around the shop and pick out something that I wanted. This was after the classics finished and shortly before AOD, which I hadn't played but was aware of. Anyway, they'd just opened a section upstairs that had CDs, DVDs, and videogames. I came across a beaten up old copy of Chronicles in a little cardboard box full of random tat, and my mind was BLOWN. I didn't realize there was 5 of them on the PS1, and I never really like TRLR, so I was beyond excited. I read the manual (also beaten up) like ten times on the train home.

Bear in mind I'd no access to the internet at home, due to living deeeep in the countryside. Brought it home, put it into my PS1, and boom. The disc was too scratched to really work. Devastated.

Coincidentally, a few weeks later, my aunt had me in town with her and my cousin and we went into XtraVision (Irish chain of films and games, now closed). I always scanned through the CD-ROMS, so I went to find over to browse, and there it was, again. Chronicles, the cheap-ass Sold-Out edition, only €7, which I had in pocket money. Brought it up to the counter annnnd... sorry, we don't have any left in stock, that's just a shelf copy.

Finally got to play it about a year later after my cousin bought it doe PS1 and hated it. I asked if I could borrow it and he straight up gave it to me. I didn't make it through Level 2 for about a year, can't remember what stumped me, but something did.

When I did eventually get past it, I loved it. I loved how simple it was, four little Tomb Raider stories, one of which was set in the country I lived in. The final couple of levels frustrated me but I didn't mind. Chronicles isn't a great game, and I think aspects of it have aged very poorly, but god if it isn't the most nostalgic entry for me.
mepsipax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 22:22   #20
jajay119

Could it have been shooting the floating head? Whilst I liked the idea and it was very tense it was a bit cumbersom to do.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote