Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 18-05-19, 15:04   #21
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
A brunette with classic Lara's braid. I am pretty sure it is a nod to TR and good on them for respecting a cultural icon.
I'm sorry but I find the idea that every female (brunette or not) having a braid automatically makes her a "nod" or "tribute" to classic Lara to be absurd and unrealistic .

Not everything revolves around Lara Croft . This game is set in medieval ages so a braid seems like a plausible hairstyle for an adult woman .

And if we're going to be super specific , this character does not have classic Lara's braid , I see no sausage chunks glued together .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 15:07   #22
biscuits

I really cannot see how the character above is a tribute to Classic Lara at all. So any brunette with a braid is a tribute to Classic Lara?? I'm so confused.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 15:11   #23
Legends

Anyone who doesn't sound like a screechy mess would we a huge step up. I'll even take the damn French twinge over Camilla's inconsistent accent. Rather that than Camilla's strainy asthma voice and overacting.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 15:44   #24
Lyle Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I wouldn't say I'm blown away by the idea of this voice for Lara but it is much better than Camilla. Still a little too earnest-sounding though (perhaps understandable in the context of this game).

I still like the pre-alpha footage voice the most for a younger Lara;

I'm still confused about whether this is someone else or actually Camilla though. I swear I hear Camilla at some points and I'm not convinced it's not her. If it is her then... well damn. They threw her under the bus making her sound like she does in the final thing.
She sounds like Keeley at times to me lol.

Like trying to do a younger voice.

Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 15:44   #25
MissJodieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyMac12 View Post
I didn’t say I feel as though this character is a tribute to classic Lara, I said that this character REMINDED me of classic Lara. The first thing I thought of when I heard her talk was Lara and as a fan of TR, I naturally made a comparison to what we have now. So of course seeing the braid along with the voice and demeanor contributed to my observation.

Of course this voice wouldn’t have been a good replacement for Shadow, but in my opinion, the trilogy all together. If anyone disagrees, that’s totally fine, but I like a more stern sounding Lara. This thread was just to highlight the voice actor, not the braid as it was just an add on.
While I agree that this VA would have suited Classic or LAU Lara, I don‘t think she would have been a good choice for Reboot Lara since she sounds way too mature for a woman in her early/mid-twenties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Anyone who doesn't sound like a screechy mess would we a huge step up. I'll even take the damn French twinge over Camilla's inconsistent accent. Rather that than Camilla's strainy asthma voice and overacting.
As always, you‘re being incredibly harsh. Being unsatisfied with something is perfectly fine but saying that someone has a „strainy asthma voice“ is just rude and uncalled for.

Last edited by MissJodieG; 18-05-19 at 15:49.
MissJodieG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 17:13   #26
NoahCrofRaider

I’m personally not a fan of the voice for Lara, but I can hear the Jonell in it. A little bit of Shelley too.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 17:25   #27
AntRaidsTombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Sure if you want Lara to be in her late 30s, around 40, with a slight French twinge. I don't think she sounds like Lara, especially for Shadow. Camilla sounded perfectly fine in Shadow as a continuation of the character she's been playing over three games.

What on earth makes you think this character is a tribute to CLara? Because she has a braid? Don't be daft, they would have researched how women dressed and wore their hair for whatever time period this is set in. I very much doubt the devs for this game had Lara in mind. I'm really bored of the "this character is more Lara than RBLara" trend. RBLara is just fine as she is. If CD or EM want her to look more like CLara with her outfits and hair they will do so. Her default outfit was already meant as a modern take on the classic outfit.
Summed up perfectly Rai.
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 19:01   #28
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyMac12 View Post
You don’t see the potential though? I’m more than sure this voice actress could switch it up even a little bit to sound like a believable Lara. I can’t see how everyone else except you can hear the resemblance to CLara’s voice.
The thread title and OP is suggesting this VA would have done a better job as Lara than Camilla did. No, I'm not really hearing it. I can only go on a couple short clips I looked at though. I agree with Vaskito. This actress sounds a bit too mature for Lara as she is in TRS. As I said before, maybe if you're looking for a 30-something Lara, but even then, her voice is quite soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I'm sorry but I find the idea that every female (brunette or not) having a braid automatically makes her a "nod" or "tribute" to classic Lara to be absurd and unrealistic .
Exactly. Lara doesn't have ownership of the plaited hairstyle. Plaits are common, in real life and in games. And as you say, for the time period the game is set in. The character even has ribbon tied in with the plait.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 19:05   #29
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post

Not everything revolves around Lara Croft . This game is set in medieval ages so a braid seems like a plausible hairstyle for an adult woman .
Agreed. It seems like people will grasp at straws for any slightly possible connection to classic Lara. Braids are awesome, but I 1000% doubt this is any nod to classic Lara.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 19:07   #30
Yeauxleaux

This just in: Core Design and classic Lara invented braids.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote