Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 28-05-20, 10:00   #11
_Seth

The few things I do like about Last Revelation:

Jonell Elliot debuts
Cambodia was lovely
Amazing art style
Locations feel varied even though they're all in Egypt
Climbing the pyramids of Giza made it into my top 10 TR moments ever
Rising out of the water from the underwater ruins into Pharos, Temple of Isis is breathtaking
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 13:00   #12
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Climbing the pyramids of Giza made it into my top 10 TR moments ever
I don’t think I’ve seen that video from you before. #4 caught me by surprise (well I guess coming from you - not really ). That #1 moment is also my favourite. It’s the area that I love the most in all of TR. In combination with the music it is such a powerful moment that to me is what TR is all about. Seeing it again makes me wanna replay TR1 immediately. Anyway, I enjoyed watching the video.

As far as TR4 goes then yes, that Giza climb sure is something. TR at its finest.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 17:14   #13
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
I don’t think I’ve seen that video from you before. #4 caught me by surprise (well I guess coming from you - not really ). That #1 moment is also my favourite. It’s the area that I love the most in all of TR. In combination with the music it is such a powerful moment that to me is what TR is all about. Seeing it again makes me wanna replay TR1 immediately. Anyway, I enjoyed watching the video.

As far as TR4 goes then yes, that Giza climb sure is something. TR at its finest.
Aha, thanks, glad you liked it. XD
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-20, 12:01   #14
fallenangle

Add me to that likes it list too. Can't quite accept the inclusion of the movie as a top ten moment but I can't disagree with any of the rest even the TROAD sequence which I certainly would not have thought to include. I could probably come up with ten different ones if I thought about it but couldn't we all here do that?

The atmosphere enhancing music and happiness of the designers not to include spurious dialogue and cut scenes just using the extraordinary for its time level design, that music and ambient sounds to paint the picture is, or was, one of the things that defined TR.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-20, 13:34   #15
Maverin

Thumbs up

Everyone who knows me around here knows it's not my favorite in the franchise. I don't dislike it either. And as a matter of fact I completed a full no-scratch/pistols-only/all pickups run last week.

So without future ado, I like:
  • The athmosphere: especially indoor tomb area's excel in creating a momentum. There's the amazing volumetric fog if when you play on the PC, the clever use of lightning and the mysterious background music. Outdoor area's are a little less intense but still have ominous skies to confirm that you're not on a peaceful excursion.
  • Lara finally loses her blocky joints and gaps in her polygons: making her more human-like and graphically pleasing. Although I don't like the changes to her face.
  • Wonderful puzzles: It's obvious that they wanted real tombs to make a return in full glory, with fun to play and diverse puzzles. Sometimes making use of the compass which made it's comeback. However it's also a little saddening to see these puzzles get fewer and further in between as you progress through the game. Giza has almost no inspiration left and some of their attempts are not really puzzles. This is why a lot of people love the earlier levels because they are everything you'd expect from a Tomb Raider game.
  • A better attempt of creating a real storyline: It's not my favourite either to be honest but at least it's a progressing storyline that shows it's presence every now and then through well crafted FMV's (although they go arm in arm with weird animations).

My list may not be long, but they are all important factors. I wouldn't call this game revolutionary over it's predecessor but at least it tried to change things up a little here and there. Overall the game is pretty fun.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-20, 11:01   #16
CroftGameGirl

TLR is definitely my personal favourite of the series, I grew up playing it, but after playing all games over the years I can't stay biased towards it so maybe I can present my likes and dislikes? I know there's an unappreciation thread but as mine mirror the pros is it alright to list them here?

Pros:

That amazing lighting! The mood in the Underneath the Sphinx level is unforgettable

The length; every time I finish it I feel so satisfied and accomplished, I feel Core really intended the game to feel like a desperate race against time with so many obstacles to go through to undoom the world

The visual presentation. Some gorgeous camera shots which highlight the huge levels and can help to point you in the right direction. Coupled with the improved lighting and graphical abilities it really creates a fantastic atmosphere

The music! The music is so thematic and atmospheric

The intricacy of the levels feels so... Egyptian. I can't really explain it well, but the mystery of playing a game of senet against the spirit of a god, the charming puzzle of using a cute wind up scarab to traverse traps, exploring the lost library of Alexandria and its scrolls, climbing the pyramids of Giza and seeing what this game imagines is inside. I can't say any other TR is this charming.

Lara's polished design, she definitely looks more human, she got an upgrade along with the environment

The focus on story more than previous games

Cons:

That water maze in Underneath the Sphinx

The length; some of the game feels a little padded, excessive crawl spaces connecting places for example

Some camera shots go on wayyyyy too long, spend so much time panning back to Lara, or are unskippable on repeat playthroughs. Some will show change/progression that is right close to you but won't show other changes that are further/more obscure

Is it just me or does some of the music seem more repetitive than others? I feel like Boss 2 gets played so much, and for some really little things which sucks coz its such a great track. And Puzzle is kinda underrated

Yeah I don't have a con for this one, the level design is AMAZING. Except for the idea to put secrets in the losing path of senet

Tight spaces and a more disobedient camera in this game make for so many boob shots. Is that really a con though? Nevermind, its a pro, along with that texture that makes it look like they're glistening they got rid of her abs though, I thought those were cool

A plot full of holes? Why was Lara searching for the amulet in the first place? if it's so legendary, wouldn't she know its purpose? I've read somewhere that she was commissioned anonymously by Von Croy but that would make even less sense, up until this point we don't know her to be involved with private commissions, she plays for sport. Also the gathering of shaft keys and the little statues towards the end feels rushed. We're told we need Horus' armour but not the rest?

Sorry for essay, I might update if I think of anything else

Before you kick me out for providing cons in an appreciation thread, let it be known TLR is my personal favourite!

Last edited by CroftGameGirl; 30-05-20 at 11:22. Reason: I thought of more
CroftGameGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-20, 16:04   #17
suli
Inactive

this remains the most ambitious TR game of all time. The scope was just too powerful and apart from the few TR3 style puzzles towards the end this game is virtually perfect. it will always have a firm place in my top 3 TR games.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-20, 22:22   #18
tomekkobialka

Longest game in the history of the universe, but in a good way.
tomekkobialka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 00:29   #19
LateRaider
Inactive

can't believe i've never posted here before

- introduced hubs

- great puzzles

- good mixture of ruins, tombs, and outdoor/urban areas

- gorgeous levels and setpieces

- lara's in-game model is beautiful (if a bit too booby)

- wonderful story, first time we've had a truly in-depth TR story

- fascinating rivals, great incorporation of gods and mysticism

- the game is truly challenging

my only problems with TR:TLR are that i wish lara's model had holster leg straps and i wish that shotgun bullets were more scarce. (should've been 2 bullets per pickup in this like the initial trilogy)

hmm, that and the back of her head is kinda big in FMVs and i miss the ring menu. otherwise this game is perfection and one of the best TR experiences.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 05:12   #20
michaeldt

- Next to AOD, the best story out of any TR game

- Jonell Elliot

- Desert Railroad

- The story having the bravery to pull such an anti-climax (Not only did Seth kill Horus before he even became reincarnated... But Lara dead?)

- Peter Connellys music

- Amazing pacing for the first half of the game

- Best FMV's out of the classics (or, on par with TR5)
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote