Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 03-11-16, 23:40   #1
XProger
Golden

Lightbulb OpenLara project

Hi guys! Let me introduce to you yet another open-source engine of classic Tomb Raider series - OpenLara (I have a poor imagination)

Three months ago I was inspired by OpenTomb project and started making my own Tomb Raider.

Project is cross-platform but Web is prefer and you always can see latest changes by the link Web build with demo level.
If for some reason you are not able to run web version you always can download latest releases for all supported platforms or build it by yourself from source code. Windows, Linux, MacOS X, Raspberry Pi, Android, iOS and Web platforms are currently supported 8)

At the moment the project is at an early stage to my first goal - TR1 implementation. First alpha release planned on 25 November and I hope it'll be more playable :)
I'll try to report here and upload videos to my YouTube channel about development process.

Tools
Xpadder config by annl
For Logitech Precision and PS4 gamepad support

larasbraid by skalogryz
Adds Laras braid (from LEVEL3A) into other levels (PHD only)

GOG Tomb Raider extractor for linux by cylgom

Where I can get level files?

Where is latest native android builds?

Last edited by XProger; 01-11-20 at 08:32.
XProger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 06:01   #2
sapper

TR1 never looked so good!

Well done.
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 07:22   #3
HeinzFritz

I tried the web version (while surfing on Linux Ubuntu Studio 14) and I am impressed. If this is really the result of only three months work, than I can imagine the spectacle that should follow soon...
The controls work fine online, the camera is much better than the original one, the movements are smooth and I have not run into any bugs.
The best of all "open" projects so far!
My compliments!
HeinzFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 07:30   #4
Caesum

You have made so much in just three months?!
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 10:57   #5
godmodder

Wow, this is really fantastic!

I like your web-based and no-nonsense approach!
godmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 11:07   #6
_KC_

This is incredible. Thanks for your effort.

I have some questions if you don't mind? I'm a complete noob with technical stuff so please forgive me.

How have you done this? Is this Tomb Raider code or have you had to make it from scratch?

Why does Lara move so fast? (not a critisim, I'm just curious)

Is there any chance you could provide the option to use PC controls? (arrows to move, space bar to holster, etc)

How much more work do you plan on doing with this?

This really is fantastic, can't wait to see it when some more work's been done. Hats off to you!
_KC_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 14:48   #7
XProger
Golden

Thanks you all for the feedback! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _KC_ View Post
How have you done this? Is this Tomb Raider code or have you had to make it from scratch?
I use original TRosettaStone level format description and v3 from OpenTomb guys. All code is written from scratch on C++ with OpenGL as main GAPI. I've some disassembled code from DOS, PSX & Android versions, but it's very non-informative and requires a lot of time and perseverance to understand what's going on there :(

Quote:
Why does Lara move so fast? (not a critisim, I'm just curious)
Maybe you feels it because different FOV compared to original, but it's same speed. Anyway I'll check it on test track 8)

Quote:
Is there any chance you could provide the option to use PC controls? (arrows to move, space bar to holster, etc)
I've thinking about that but in original you have some keys assigned to Home, Delete, PgDn, PgUp and my notebook (as example) has reduced keyboard with non-ergonomic access to these keys. Of course, in the future I plan to do controls configuration from in-game menu.
By the way, currently Web & Windows versions has gamepad support (prefer to XBox controller).

Quote:
How much more work do you plan on doing with this?
I plan to finish all basic functionality (like camera, collisions, firing etc.) at the end of this year and in the spring I will finish the implementation of all logic objects and AI. Then I proceed to TR2 and so on! 8)

Last edited by XProger; 04-11-16 at 20:15.
Old 04-11-16, 16:28   #8
Tombraiderplay
Inactive

You go boy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

I cant tell you how awesome this looks 《》
What programming language are you using btw ?
Tombraiderplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 19:09   #9
Alex Fly
Inactive

Very impressive project there, I'll be certainly keep an eye on this one.

I was about to ask if you could make an option to play with an AZERTY keyboard instead of a QWERTY but regular PC controls (with the arrows etc) are a good option. I see you already answered for this question regarding controls anyway so I won't ask about it again and I'm impressed to read you can play it with a gamepad.

Also I was wondering (and worrying)... Are you going to make the full game playable ? If yes, what about some possible legal issues with Square-Enix ? Just a thought...
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 20:29   #10
XProger
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Fly View Post
Also I was wondering (and worrying)... Are you going to make the full game playable ? If yes, what about some possible legal issues with Square-Enix ? Just a thought... :ponder:
Thanks. All is possible, but I hope Square Enix has more interesting cases. Receipt of letter "cease & desist" will be an honor for me ;)
I'll solve problems as they come.

Last edited by XProger; 04-11-16 at 20:32.