Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 10-01-13, 12:15   #61
HeinzFritz

@Ensi, while I tested the smoke emiter black patch some more and i tried also to use all kinds of guns. With the grenadegun there is a problem as black opaque smoke sprites are displayed during explosions with one of the new explosion types.
HeinzFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 18:47   #62
Lwmte

@Titak: yes, that's it. I think that even if these two fog bugs are different, they are of the same nature.

@Dustie: we've tried to acquire source code back in 2003, when first TREP versions were released, as far as I remember, Core/Eidos replied with something like "no, it's too precious, we're gonna to sell this engine some more". Since everything is changed in the past few years - first, Core's closure and rise of Crystal Dynamics, then Square merging thing... Maybe it's time for another try?

@Heinz: It seems as another leftover from PSX-PC port. Every time you will now encounter such "black opaque sprites", it means that this sprite type wasn't properly reprogrammed from PSX version to PC version. Looks like on PSX blend subtype 3 was used for all "darkness" sprites, incl. shadows, footsteps, black smoke and fadeins/fadeouts. On PC version it is used only for fadeouts and standard octagonal shadows.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 20:15   #63
meta2tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Maybe it's time for another try?
I really don't think they'll ever release it.
meta2tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 20:43   #64
HeinzFritz

Actually it is more of a challenge and fun without the source code.
On the other hand a (free of charge) release of the engine for non commercial and commercial use would be fine and could help a skilled level designers make some money, which would be for sure quite OK for such.
HeinzFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 22:31   #65
GeckoKid

Oh my this is just too exciting! I actually want to implement all these transparencies into my levels Thanks so much for coming back!

Now we can have volumetric shadows!

EDIT: also now I actually have a reason to switch to TRNG!

Last edited by GeckoKid; 10-01-13 at 22:33.
GeckoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 23:58   #66
KurtisandLara
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoKid View Post
Oh my this is just too exciting! I actually want to implement all these transparencies into my levels Thanks so much for coming back!

Thats exciting news! With TREP and TRNG (assuming TREP2 can handle TRNG) i cant wait to see what you guys can come up with!
KurtisandLara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-13, 00:06   #67
Dustie

I most certainly think it's worth taking another try, although I would recommend to make some solid preparation - gather the strongest arguments in favor of having the code released and articulate them properly, write up a rich description of how exactly the code would be used, under what conditions and limits in regard to exploitation of the Level Editor and the game engine - before even asking about anything. I mean, they have a very solid argument against giving the code to anyone - once they do that there's no way to control its use, which poses a risk of violations of any conditions they could set up. As much as they would probably not care that much anymore, there could still be legal issues involved. I bet any sort of 'open source' is completely out of question, it would have to be some sort of exclusive agreement - and unlikely a mutual one.

Nevertheless - we'll never know unless we try.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-13, 00:47   #68
GeckoKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtisandLara View Post

Thats exciting news! With TREP and TRNG (assuming TREP2 can handle TRNG) i cant wait to see what you guys can come up with!
We'll see if I feel the need to ^^ Although unfinished it's still has gone quite far in terms of level making...
GeckoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-13, 01:03   #69
Kapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoKid View Post

all this is already TREP compatible. not sure what you mean here.

edit: nvm. just read about TREP2. lol

Last edited by Kapu; 11-01-13 at 01:07.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-13, 12:06   #70
meta2tr

@ensi

I think there's a problem with the latest (second) patch. The problem I see is that the frame rate for animated textures, instead of being the usual 10fps, has dropped to 2fps. This drop in frame rate is true for all of the subtypes, not just the new ones. I notice too that the frame rate is fine when using the first patch.

Any ideas why this might be?

Despite this new problem, triangles textured with the new blend modes work perfectly, on objects and on statics too. This is great work that you've done, thank you

Last edited by meta2tr; 11-01-13 at 17:32. Reason: fps value corrected
meta2tr is offline   Reply With Quote