Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III > The Lost Artifact

Old 06-03-21, 11:03   #71
TombHackR
Golden

After reading this thread, changing VM from 22 to 18 fixed one of my Lost Artefact installations crashing at the main menu. Thank you everybody .

Although... what does VM even mean and what do the values represent ??
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 18:39   #72
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
After reading this thread, changing VM from 22 to 18 fixed one of my Lost Artefact installations crashing at the main menu. Thank you everybody .

Although... what does VM even mean and what do the values represent ??
It means VideoMode. The number value is an index of video mode in the list ordered by DirecDraw enumeration. For every PC this list is different, and modes are not ordered by width and height.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-21, 17:10   #73
lilhanhan

Hi, I've been lurking around here for quite a while to get help on getting the classics working and I have to give a huge thanks to all the solutions which worked for TR I and II, but I've recently managed to purchase TLA and unfortunatly even with all the tips on here with the config text file it still didn't work, until...

Now this is going to sound a little daft but the solution I found (after restoring the config file to what it originally was) was, and I kid you not, to plug in my bluetooth speaker via aux cable to my PC!

I tried it again with a pair of headphones and the menu worked perfectly.

Now before anyone (including myself) thought it was just a fluke I tried to open the game with no audio outputs plugged in and lo and behold, the same crash happened again. The issue is that when there's no speaker/headphones plugged in the main menu doesn't load properly, you get the title screen background with no icons for a few seconds before it crashes and goes back to your desktop; so if this issue sounds simailar to yours, maybe this odd solution may also work for you (this is with the multipatch installed).

Sorry for the long winded post (and especially since it's my first one on the forums) but I'd thought I share this odd experience to see if it can help with anyone else who is encountering simialr issues with starting the game on Windows 10.
lilhanhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-21, 18:07   #74
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Welcome to the forum lilhanhan and thank you for the info.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 00:35   #75
josueg890

But how do you exactly edit this config.txt file? I've tried so many times and it just won't allow me to edit it in anyway. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
josueg890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 13:12   #76
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by josueg890 View Post
But how do you exactly edit this config.txt file? I've tried so many times and it just won't allow me to edit it in anyway. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Run Notepad as administrator then try again.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-21, 21:49   #77
ErickASJ

Default Any news?

Greetings. Has there been any progress on this issue? I have changed the MX and VM values ​​within the config file one and several ways, unable to get past the home screen. As for the menu screen, there is no ring of options, just a second of the song is heard and the game crashes.
I have a Ryzen 5 1600 with a RX 5500 XT. My version of The Lost Artifact is the Platinum Collection.
ErickASJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-21, 05:30   #78
ATombRaiderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickASJ View Post
Greetings. Has there been any progress on this issue? I have changed the MX and VM values ​​within the config file one and several ways, unable to get past the home screen. As for the menu screen, there is no ring of options, just a second of the song is heard and the game crashes.
I have a Ryzen 5 1600 with a RX 5500 XT. My version of The Lost Artifact is the Platinum Collection.
To get the correct VM value - first set up TR3 with the resolution you want. This will create a config file with the VM value you need. Copy the config file from TR3 root folder and paste it in the Lost Artifact root folder.

Then open the config file to change the value of MX to 0 and save. Then launch the game.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-21, 19:09   #79
ErickASJ

Nop. It didn't work. I added DgVoodoo to the equation, in a sencond try, but it crashed again.
I used the original exe, the multipatch, and Arsunt's. Each test with and without DGVoodoo.

If you find another option, I'll be patient. Thank you very much.
Old 24-07-21, 17:31   #80
ErickASJ

Exclamation Technical question

When tr3.exe is run for the first time, it produces two files: config.txt and data.bin.
Does tr3gold.exe behave the same way? If so, could someone please share the data.bin that created by tr3gold.exe?