www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 23-04-21, 16:04   #11
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

When I eventually get my ps5, I am definitely getting this game. I think it looks great and not just your usual generic, open worlder that a lot of AAA games are seeming to converge on being.
Old 24-04-21, 15:16   #12
Mek
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
When I eventually get my ps5, I am definitely getting this game. I think it looks great and not just your usual generic, open worlder that a lot of AAA games are seeming to converge on being.
Maybe I'll play it, but not soon. It has a gloomy, depressing atmosphere, I'll give it a chance only if reviewers acclaim it. Indeed, its gameplay looks different than in most games.

I am waiting for the Legendary Edition of Mass Effect so I am going to play Mass Effect in May.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 12:28   #13
killchan
Archaeologist

Save system "drama"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Returnal/co...ople_who_need/
and response
https://twitter.com/Housemarque/stat...50983318966276

People don't seem to understand that just because the map is big and death is really punishing , doesn't mean that they're supposed to snail's pace their way through it like a scared little cat. So of of course when they die or quit the game it's the end of the world.

On the flipside it's true that the game needs to convey whatever design choice it wants to achieve. Saying "But of course, it's a roguelike/lite!" is not enough. Just because it's explained doesn't make it good.

The thing about rogueliXes is that, in order to succeed, players have to accept death as a chance to improve , so that they can put the acquired knowledge and new gear to good use from the beginning. They shouldn't be afraid of dying.

I've seen this happening with some indies on steam. Rogue likes, survival horrors, puzzle games.. you name it. Game comes out, people start playing, they stumble upon one obstacle after another and everything that should work on paper feels just annoying on practice , so in the end no one goes past the first couple of stages... and the studio ends up releasing an Easy Mode, but when that happens it's too late. Now, Returnal is a big release so it's not gonna be too late anytime soon, but ... yeah.

When you die and you don't feel like you want to keep going, in a rogueliXe, that's not good.

If you're a dev , or an writer, or whatever and you're reading this, remember:
when things get to the point that a relevant portion of your audience call some of your design choices into question, they might not be "right" or have the solution -- they don't do your job after all --, but there's a 99% chance that you did something wrong. You failed in your mission to make them embrace your product for what you wanted it to be.

Last edited by killchan; 03-05-21 at 12:36.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 17:05   #14
moodydog
Tomb Raider

I'm enjoying the game, but I do feel like the roguelike gameplay is a bit of a flaw. I don't feel like there is much of a tug after you die to make the next run feel satisfying, especially at the beginning. It feels like the game restarting is a consequence of dying, rather than a mechanic. Especially when you are near the end of a run, and you have to restart the run again. I think there needs to be a bit more continuity and progression between runs, with much shorter runs.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 17:24   #15
Mek
Historian

Are subsequent runs too similar and boring or is there not enough knowledge or permanent equipment obtainable in a single run at the beginning of the game to progress quicker in next runs?
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 18:09   #16
moodydog
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
Are subsequent runs too similar and boring or is there not enough knowledge or permanent equipment obtainable in a single run at the beginning of the game to progress quicker in next runs?
I'm only on the first section tbh, but after the first few times of doing it, it does start to feel quite repetitive. Length and difficulty varies per run. I'm sure you can optimise stuff for easier runs. I know for instance, weapons can be permanently upgraded, but I haven't yet worked out how. Apparently just by using them upgrades them. The game isn't quite procedurally generated. I think they've designed like say 50 areas per level, and in any run there may be about 20 of those 50. They're completely randomised in the run though. I may be wrong, but I thought procedurally generated means that the 2 rooms will never look the same. I don't think this is a bad thing though, makes it easier to learn room layouts.

Was having the perfect run until this happened:

This completely resets the level.

I wouldn't play the game until they fix the save system so that this isn't an issue.

Last edited by moodydog; 03-05-21 at 19:14.
Old 04-05-21, 02:57   #17
KylieDog
Archaeologist

Save system sounds like it has no respect for the players time.
If I bought this I'd probably get to play it once a month as every other time I'd think "But I might not have time to finish a run" and play something else.

Last edited by KylieDog; 04-05-21 at 12:36.
KylieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 06:33   #18
moodydog
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieDog View Post
Save system sounds like it has no respect for the players time.
If I bought this I'd probably get to play it once a month as every other time I'd think "But I might now have time to finish a run" and play something else.
Yeh, last night at 9pm, I wanted to play the game. Usually this wouldn't be a problem, but I had to think whether or not I had enough time to play before going to bed, as I have work this morning. Also putting my PS5 in rest mode causes it to crash a lot, so I prefer to turn it off.

They said they're working on a save system... so I may wait until they implement one. Hopefully, it's only when your character dies that it resets. They can't just have a save and quit mode, they need to save the game before it crashes too.
Old 04-05-21, 07:27   #19
killchan
Archaeologist

Autosaves that only load when the game crashes are easy to implement. It's one of the very basic challenges in coding.

It's a flag: you raise it when the game starts and lower it when the game closes normally. If the flag is still up when the game attempts to raise it, that's a sign that a crash happened. This same mechanic could be managed on an OS level.
But regardless, as long as the operating system provides a way to tell in which state the application was in its previous instance, developers have the ability to load anything they want depending on the situation.

Last edited by killchan; 04-05-21 at 07:28.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote