www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old Yesterday, 13:01   #221
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

I liked Anniversary most of the time when I played it, although my opinion on the game did go downhill towards the later parts of when playing it. I can't say that I have any desire to play TRA or any of Crystal's TR games, and I even discarded my copies of Crystal's TR games, a decision I don't regret. I would say that I don't like this game and do consider it to be disrespectful towards the original but that's just my personal feelings, and you're entitled to feel differently.
Old Yesterday, 21:12   #222
Jathom95
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
I liked Anniversary most of the time when I played it, although my opinion on the game did go downhill towards the later parts of when playing it. I can't say that I have any desire to play TRA or any of Crystal's TR games, and I even discarded my copies of Crystal's TR games, a decision I don't regret. I would say that I don't like this game and do consider it to be disrespectful towards the original but that's just my personal feelings, and you're entitled to feel differently.
Frankly, what I was more annoyed by was the attempted merging of TR1's storyline and trying to mash it together with the Legend timeline. Natla was the big bad in the original too, but since they were wanting to do their own thing why not just do a complete re-imagining than taking the original and neutering it? Then Underworld comes along and suddenly Norse mythology and Ragnarok is now in play instead of the Atlanteans.

It was just a really weird way to pull off what was supposed to be the modern take on what started it all imo.
Old Yesterday, 21:30   #223
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
Frankly, what I was more annoyed by was the attempted merging of TR1's storyline and trying to mash it together with the Legend timeline. Natla was the big bad in the original too, but since they were wanting to do their own thing why not just do a complete re-imagining than taking the original and neutering it? Then Underworld comes along and suddenly Norse mythology and Ragnarok is now in play instead of the Atlanteans.

It was just a really weird way to pull off what was supposed to be the modern take on what started it all imo.
With Underworld, I didn't play any further than the first level. In fact, I didn't even complete the first level; I only made it up to the octopus boss. I'm aware that Natla returns in Underworld, having already been in TR1 and Anniversary. Does the storyline in Underworld link into Anniversary regarding Natla and Atlantis or are the two games completely separate? I think Anniversary should be completely separate from the other TR games as it should simply be a remake of TR1.
Old Today, 00:14   #224
Jathom95
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
With Underworld, I didn't play any further than the first level. In fact, I didn't even complete the first level; I only made it up to the octopus boss. I'm aware that Natla returns in Underworld, having already been in TR1 and Anniversary. Does the storyline in Underworld link into Anniversary regarding Natla and Atlantis or are the two games completely separate? I think Anniversary should be completely separate from the other TR games as it should simply be a remake of TR1.
Since you already mentioned you're done with Crystal's games, I suppose spoilers aren't an issue lol. For anyone else, spoilers I guess. Better safe than sorry even though the game is fairly old at this point.

Underworld more or less focuses exclusively on Natla's relationship to Lara's family, it's how the story is connected. It's connected to the other two more or less by a thread. Natla mentions in Underworld that she killed Lara's father. She creates a doppelganger of Lara (different from the one in TR1 and Anniversary) that destroys Croft Manor and kills Alistair. Natla's motive ends up being to bring about the Seventh Age mentioned in TRA, which turns out to be Ragnarok. She attempts to do this by using the Midgard Serpent mechanism, or Jormungandr. Its use according to Natla is to break apart the surface of the Earth, which is what broke Pangaea apart in-universe, and will poison the Earth and bring about Ragnarok. Lara destroys it with Mjolnir, Natla seems to die except she doesn't, and it's only established in Lara's Shadow (DLC that was only released for the Xbox 360) that she lived after falling right into Eitr. She orders the doppelganger to kill Lara, she tries to, Lara frees her from the thralldom that Natla has her under by learning the command word she uses. She tells her to make Natla suffer and that's what she does.

Its also established that Avalon is actually Helheim and ends up being where Lara's mother is. She ends up being basically undead, revived by a substance called Eitr which reanimates people/creatures into "thralls". That's literally the extent of her appearance in-game too. Lara finds her, is in disbelief, and kills her because it's not her mother anymore.

The game makes almost no mention of Atlantean history of any kind. I'd say none, there's a faint hint that Helheim is what Natla refers to in Anniversary when she says "this island is just one remnant of Atlantis", though I'd say that's a pretty big stretch. I'd say it's more likely somebody at Crystal had a certain inclination towards Norse mythology and everyone was like why not.

Last edited by Jathom95; Today at 00:22.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote