www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 22-08-20, 16:48   #1
Eycore
Hobbyist

Default Tomb Raider 2 Randomizer

Tomb Raider 2 Randomizer by Danza, Nenad and me.
You can download it here - https://github.com/DanzaG/TR2-Rando/releases
Click code on the left and scroll down to see how to install correctly. To randomize, enter a seed (any number) in the respective boxes of your choosing.

The following are randomized:

Secrets - Randomizes locations of secrets, they are ordered based on casual play order, so you should expect to find a stone before jade.
Items - Randomizes standard pickups (excluding Key Items, not yet implemented).
Enemies - Randomizes the types of enemies you encounter.
Textures - Randomly applies a texture pack to a level, using packs found in the TexturePacks folder, feel free to copy the format and add your own!

Example of gameplay

How to Install

It's currently early days (so there will be bugs), and we are planning to add more features in the future. If there are any problems leave a comment, have fun

Last edited by Eycore; 29-08-20 at 14:42.
Eycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-20, 18:30   #2
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

I've always wanted a randomizer for Tomb Raider, especially with Resident Evil being so popular with it

Just a few questions if they're possible:

Would it be possible to modify the data files, so we could have more variety of enemies, for example: a T-Rex in Venice or a Snow Mobile guy in the Temple of Xian? (this could up the difficulty and could be an option in the trainer).

Could we also have a random level option, kinda like how Resident Evil has a randomzier for the doors, that way we don't know what to expect?

Maybe a puzzle lock randomzier at some point too, this would probably need a lot of testing for different seeds so we don't potentially end up with a soft lock.

Also since TR2 isn't finished yet, have you got any plans for the other classics? TR5 might be near impossible due to that game hates being modded.

Last edited by sackboy123; 22-08-20 at 18:31.
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-20, 19:49   #3
Eycore
Hobbyist

Having enemies across different levels is planned for the future. The next update will have randomized key/puzzle items.

It is possible to change the position of the doors, levers, flood/unflood areas, randomize traps etc so yes . Luckily all that is stored in the level files.

There are plans for the other games, I think TR1 would be next and then TR3 after.
Old 22-08-20, 19:54   #4
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

Ah nice, you have my full on attention for this. Haven't played around with Classic Tomb Raider in a while and this might just bring me back
Old 23-08-20, 02:47   #5
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

are you really sure it's possible to import enemies from other games? from what I know the classics are so hardcoded
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-20, 11:54   #6
Eycore
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
are you really sure it's possible to import enemies from other games? from what I know the classics are so hardcoded
That isn't possible, it has to be in the same game and not hardcoded (like the dragon).
Old 23-08-20, 14:17   #7
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Sorry, I meant from other levels. There are enemies which use special behaviours enemies which won't work in the same level, at least it's what I know from Dxtre3d users

But if you do I'm very interested to check it out
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-20, 15:24   #8
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

I'm guessing the enemy slots will be ported into all data files, and the enemy/texture of said enemy will be randomized so we won't know what to expect

Of course it will always be impossible to have a Dog from Tomb of Seth and a Dog form Burial Chambers to exist in the same level (TR4 example, couldn't think of a TR2 enemy which used similar slots)

Does TR2 even do that? Because I know some Melee enemies and shooting enemies have 2 or 3 different models in one level which uses 3 different slots too. Been a while since I did TR2 modding so I could be wrong.
Old 23-08-20, 16:50   #9
Topixtor
Historian

With the new tr2main update, texture, sound IDs and polygon limits are bascially erased; this makes it possible, as far as I know, to have all enemies into one level file at once; I'm not 100% sure the new limit is enough for literally EVERYTHING but I guess you can still find a workaround or even increase the limits even more?

Yes some enemies require some extra things other than the simple enemy slot (flamethrowers need the flame blow sprite, complex enemies with unique killing animations require those, the snowmobile guy literally requires like 5 different objects, sounds and sprites to work alone, xian statues need the inactive statues and flying ones need an extra sprite animation...) but all those things as I said should be no problem thanks to Arsunt's awesome work

About the similar enemies, the venice guys are all from different slots and I guess they could limit them in order to not make the level just full of those, same thing for the mercenaries in Tibetan Foothills and the monks, and there is another stick guy that supposedly has limited movements according to dxtre3d but I observed he works semmingly the same as the other and anyway he only appears in Living Quarters, I think they have already excluded him from the randomization pool for that level.

Now that I think about it, the only slightly different enemies that share the same ID should be Tigers/Leopards and crows/eagles just for their model sizes, excluding Bears and Wolfs wich are exclusive to the Gold levels and replace both the spider enemies slots
(I'm probably wrong tho; I remember seeing somewhere that similar enemies such as Eagles and Crows have different hp amount... maybe that's the hardcoded thing? I'll let the programmers speak)

Last edited by Topixtor; 23-08-20 at 17:00.
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-20, 15:36   #10
CircusBabysGal
Historian

Omg! That sounds amazing! How exactly did you code it?