Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 24-10-11, 08:11   #481
Drone

Ah interesting. Didn't know that. I wonder how Lara could use explosives in TR1. Blow up the walls to access new areas or just a weapon against enemies.
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-11, 08:53   #482
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone View Post
Ah interesting. Didn't know that. I wonder how Lara could use explosives in TR1. Blow up the walls to access new areas or just a weapon against enemies.
I would think just as a weapon against enemies, in all the versions we have seen there has never been any walls Lara could destroy. The collapsible floors have been there with the explosives. Probably it was just a quicker way to kill things, although in the E3 demo they seem to die pretty quick any way, much easier than the final game.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-11, 09:03   #483
Drone

Yes that's why I wondered because enemies ain't that tough. Though killing raptors, atlanteans or torso with explosives would be interesting. With human enemies I'd rather be using rapid fire weapons like uzis or magnums.
Old 24-10-11, 09:10   #484
Clara [CA]

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
Thanks for the video Clara [CA], was there an article in the magazine as well? There was no dual aiming in the E3 demo though, it is just a bit glitchy and one arm will sometimes target something else for a split second, but Lara only shoots one enemy.
Hehe that was my point exactly. I've also seen Gh0stBlade's video (I would like to thank him too), and indeed, there's no dual aim in there. BUT there definitely is dual aim on this mag video.

So :
- Either there was dual aim at the time but not for the 1996 E3 demo, and what the magazine showed was a demo reel from a press kit or something.
- Or there was dual aim at E3 and Gh0stBlade's video is prior to the show.

Edit: Oh, and there was nothing about TR in that magazine. Just this couple of minutes on the tape.

Last edited by Clara [CA]; 24-10-11 at 09:12.
Clara [CA] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-11, 09:22   #485
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara [CA] View Post
Hehe that was my point exactly. I've also seen Gh0stBlade's video (I would like to thank him too), and indeed, there's no dual aim in there. BUT there definitely is dual aim on this mag video.

So :
- Either there was dual aim at the time but not for the 1996 E3 demo, and what the magazine showed was a demo reel from a press kit or something.
- Or there was dual aim at E3 and Gh0stBlade's video is prior to the show.

Edit: Oh, and there was nothing about TR in that magazine. Just this couple of minutes on the tape.
Since it is a different level to the E3 disc, maybe this is something that was shown only to the media at E3? Or maybe it was the other way round, you would think the more polished level would be seen by the public, and the glitchy second level seen by the media. The camera and animations in the CD Consoles video seem improved from the level in Gh0stBlade's version, maybe they had more time to polish that demo. I also just noticed the first wolf who dies in the FMV was killed by the knife, that was not in the final FMV.

Last edited by aussie500; 24-10-11 at 09:36.
Old 25-10-11, 05:40   #486
aussie500
Golden

Seems AOD was not the first game where they were thinking of having a playable character crossing their arms. Gh0stBlade somehow found a way to bring up the animations for the PS1 E3 level he has. I wonder what they were planning on using it for? Lara had her arms crossed in the very early teaser trailer, but that was CGI. Perhaps Lara was going to turn around and glare at the player if we left her idle too long.

Last edited by aussie500; 25-10-11 at 06:53.
Old 25-10-11, 05:46   #487
Drone

They didn't demo block push and pull animations. But WTF, alpha animations are smoother than the final. Amazing.
Old 25-10-11, 05:57   #488
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone View Post
They didn't demo block push and pull animations. But WTF, alpha animations are smoother than the final. Amazing.
They are no where near as smooth as the final version, nearly all the transitions for the jumps are missing, along with most of the animations they had not yet done. There is a strange animation in there, Lara's body waves backwards a bit,looks like she is a bit tipsy, pretty sure it went with the death animation, but no idea how to kill her that way. I could only kill her by the usual bone crunching drop.

Last edited by aussie500; 25-10-11 at 06:01.
Old 25-10-11, 06:01   #489
Clara [CA]

^Maybe by fire?

Wasn't she crossing her arms at some points during an ingame cutscene?

Last edited by Clara [CA]; 25-10-11 at 06:02.
Clara [CA] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-11, 06:04   #490
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara [CA] View Post
Wasn't she crossing her arms at some points during an ingame cutscene?
The cutscenes are animated as one big animation, I looked anyway and could not see her cross her arms in any. The level animations are seperate to the cutscenes. At one point Larson was in the Vilcabamba level, it might be a left over from that.