Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 06-01-18, 05:34   #121
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by annl View Post
It works great! I’ve yet to see it in a big room (i’m on Opera House) but I did quickly load The Great Wall and Lara’s Home and you can certainly notice the difference!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
Anyway, fantastic work on this Arsunt! Once it is finished i will update my 2 maps to include this patch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
I love the new fog distance! Makes everything so much more pretty! An absolute must-have!
Thank you! I'm glad to hear that you like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
I was excited to try the distance patch on my Mystic Realm map, but unfortunately it happens as i feared: any render distance higher than 1.25 crashes Tomb2.exe when you rotate the camera to the right after beginning. There's just too much stuff for the engine to render at once i suppose. Dxtre3D says the overlaps are 25K+.
I could tweak TR2 engine polygon limits, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea now. May we see any screenshot anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
Fair enough. I'd love semi-transparent textures support! They were always there in PSX versions (even TR1), and it really puzzles me why they didn't make it to PC till TR3. Anyway, if that makes it into your patch, I'll personally go ahead and mod the whole game to use them just like the PSX did. That is, after I'd finish jumping in joy like a maniac.
Dreams come true. But before that there is a lot of work to be done. As I know TR2 PSX has no information about semi-transparency in either level files, or in textures. It seems semi-transparency (always 50%) is hardcoded for some special effects. First, I'll have to put together a complete list of such effects to apply semi-transparency to them in this way.
Quote:
I brainstormed a little and came up with this list of stuff of what was introduced into/improved in/removed from/never made it to later games or other platforms
Thank you! Very useful information for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
While we're at it, would it be possible to add an option to keep music playing while underwater?
There will be such option. To make it right I need to decompile deeper in some places. Since turning off the music in the inventory and underwater is actually caused by a decrease in the volume of music to zero, it is possible to limit or turn off the volume decrease for these cases. There is workaround for PaulD solution.

The fact is that PaulD Audio CD solution in my patch supports two formats of audio - .mp3 and .wav (in the Steam version it is .mp3 only). When several years ago we worked together on patches for TR2 and TR3, I had the opportunity to explore all the stages of the development of his patch. At the initial stage, there was support for cdaudio.wav, but it turned out that for the .wav file format the MCI does not support volume control. Then he tried the .mp3 and it solved the volume control issue.

This means that if you will use cdaudio.wav instead of cdaudio.mp3 you will get music playing in the inventory and underwater.
You can easily convert .mp3 (from PaulD audio pack or Steam version) to .wav and try it with no waiting.
But of course this is just workaround / life hack.

Last edited by Arsunt; 06-01-18 at 05:35.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 16:04   #122
Sardoc

I use a slightly different pack.

It uses a folder called "music" and 2 .dll files, and it's exactly the same solution that I use in ATI version of TR1 and UB. It uses .flac files, and I think is a better solution than PaulD's one, as you just dump the files in without having to convert them into a .dat file. It's available in the first post of GLRAGE solution thread on these forums.

Here are the .dll files only, and in case you want it, the source code for the wrapper.

Here are the .dll files and the music folder with TR2 music, for simplicity.

EDIT: Oh yes, found another one to add to my list of TR differences. Will update the previous post.

TR1-2-3 save slot information - refined in TR4 & TR5. These will always show the number of saves when you save or load, no matter what. However, TR1-2-3 will only show it when you're overwriting a save slot that already have a save file before the game was run. If you're saving in an empty slot, it will show the level name, but will not show the number of saves until you close the game and run it again.

TR1 & TR2 look button while handstanding - refined in TR3, where it will allow you to see what's behind you when climbing with a handstand (great to check if there's a safe place behind you to land on when traversing a slope). TR2 will allow you to use the look button, but it won't allow you to see what's behind you. TR1 will do nothing if the look button is pressed while Lara is handstanding.

Last edited by Sardoc; 06-01-18 at 16:36.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 17:33   #123
JOHN30011887

I was using mp3 audio files but didnt get any audio when i used Arsunt's new files, so i moved to PaulD audio pack and everything works great again

Cant wait for the Hd menu screen
JOHN30011887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 17:37   #124
Danath

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
Thank you! I'm glad to hear that you like it.
I could tweak TR2 engine polygon limits, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea now. May we see any screenshot anyway?
You are doing God Core's work. You don't have to do those tweaks in the engine rendering if you don't want to. It would be amazing but you are doing enough as is.

Take a look at this... it's fabulous, my uncompromised vision for the level.

It's the only place i can show with full distance without the engine crashing.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 09:23   #125
SLAYER

Once the new FMV player is in place, can we have a skip intro FMVs option?
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 11:32   #126
jonusiescu

Movies play just fine if you use dgVoodoo2, at least in my case. There are some problems with changing Z-buffer ingame (if you do that, every textures will disappear), but beside that, I don't see any other bugs.

Arsunt - fantastic work. Shame to admit, but I've never completed TR II and this is one of my New Year's Resolution , so your modification will be ideal to achieve this goal. Are you planning any updates in the not-too-distant future? I don't want to rush you, I just don't know if I should wait for the new version.
jonusiescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 12:08   #127
Arsunt

Quote:
I use a slightly different pack.

It uses a folder called "music" and 2 .dll files, and it's exactly the same solution that I use in ATI version of TR1 and UB. It uses .flac files
I'm developing a better native solution, combining both a FMV player and an audio player in single DLL. Also in the long term, this solution can be used to overlay the .srt subtitles during the audio or FMV playback. Any file format / folder can be easily customized. Any of the option (original/wrapped CD Audio / PaulD's solution / external audio files of selected format) could be used out of the box without changing the code.
Quote:
I think is a better solution than PaulD's one, as you just dump the files in without having to convert them into a .dat file.
Yes, I understand. I've added PaulD's solution first, because it uses WinAPI only and because Steam uses it. Many people may want to just patch Steam version without any additional actions.
Quote:
TR1-2-3 save slot information - refined in TR4 & TR5. These will always show the number of saves when you save or load, no matter what. However, TR1-2-3 will only show it when you're overwriting a save slot that already have a save file before the game was run. If you're saving in an empty slot, it will show the level name, but will not show the number of saves until you close the game and run it again.
This is known "requester" display bug, and it will be fixed. Number of save must be displayed always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER View Post
Once the new FMV player is in place, can we have a skip intro FMVs option?
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonusiescu View Post
Are you planning any updates in the not-too-distant future? I don't want to rush you, I just don't know if I should wait for the new version.
Right now, I continue to decompile the code, then add new features to it. As soon as I finish the next piece of code, I will implement
  • Lara's Home Assault results saved to registry (now results clear after game exit)
  • HD background images support
  • Reworked FMV playback (also with HD video support)
I don't how many time I need for these tasks. Maybe one week or few weeks. But full list of plans is much longer. Probably, I should create a separate thread, or ask the moderators to rename this one, because the animated background of the inventory has already been implemented, and we are discussing more and more new things.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 12:37   #128
annl

Take as long as you need. Your solution has been the best and by far most stable fix for TR2. Peixoto's injector is good but not very stable at all. I had to resort today to just your fixes and dgvoodoo2 with reshade as Peixoto's version is very unstable for me.

I agree a new thread is probably needed.

Last edited by annl; 07-01-18 at 12:38.
annl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 14:13   #129
Joey79100

Anew thread will probably be cleaner, mods don't rename threads 24 hours after their creation anyway.

I haven't tested your patch but next time I play TR2 I'll use it for sure, I just love the idea that the changes are native instead of using wrappers and everything. I love the whole project.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-18, 08:19   #130
VictorXD

Another suggestion: vibration support for controllers. Not sure if this will work but doesn't hurt to ask right?

BTW, where does TR1 use semi transparent textures? I know the pistols in TR2 use them, as well as the flares but that is all I remember pre-TR3.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote