www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 08-04-21, 16:25   #1
adamtombraider
Explorer

Default Prima strategy guide

I bought the Prima strategy guide on Ebay for collector's purposes and I am shocked at the amount of mistakes and wrong information the book contains does anyone else have this book.
adamtombraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 21:36   #2
ANoDE
Golden

No, I don't. But I'd be interested to know more - can you maybe post a few examples of the mistakes they made? Just out of curiosity.
Old 09-04-21, 05:58   #3
adamtombraider
Explorer

The code for Francine's apartment is wrong by one digit.

It tells you an impossible route through the lasers in Louvre Galleries which you can't even do

There is a screenshot of the Sprint Jump in Bio Research Facility which is an ability you cannot have at that point in the game

It recommends using the V Packer Shotgun on the knights in the Vault of Trophies but you don't have the Shotgun at all in that level (unless you activate the glitch at the end of Galleries Under Siege which will allow you to still have it in Von Croy's Apartment)

It says that you can pick up a second Vector R35 from the Cleaner in Von Croy's Apartment and then combine it with the one you had picked up in Derelict Apartment Block which you cannot do and also you pick up a second Vector R35 in Louvre Galleries and there is no mention of that in the guide at all.

It says that the Mutant Fish in Bio Rsearch Facility and Aquatic Research Area cannot be killed when it obviously can.

This obviously means that the guide was written with an earlier build of the game and its not the build we got.

Last edited by adamtombraider; 09-04-21 at 06:02.
adamtombraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 06:44   #4
ANoDE
Golden

Thanks for the examples

I agree, some of the mistakes could be due to an earlier build, before things got cut / rearranged. But why would the code be wong? That kinda feels mire like a simple mistake to me.
I wonder if they ever released an updated version - probably not, giving the commercial success of the game it was about.
Old 09-04-21, 14:29   #5
KIKO
Relic Hunter

Thank you for posting about this. You've mentioned some things I didn't know about before. I personally scrolled through the guide myself a few years ago and I remember reading about a strength upgrade in the Serpent Rouge that you could get by moving one of those stage equipments, the one you climb on in order to reach one of the lighting structures (the one that breaks when Lara stands on it).

I'm sure there are a lot more differences. As you've mentioned they probably had access to an early build.
KIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 16:44   #6
Profc
Archaeologist

I remember reading through the PDF version of that book 10 years ago.

The X-ray machine in the Louvre, the 4 engravings in Von Croy's walking stick are all mentioned there I think. (It's been a while)

It was so inaccurate that I was using it to find some of the deleted stuff from the game.
Old 09-04-21, 20:09   #7
Jathom95
Hobbyist

I'm not surprised honestly. I don't think any of the PC copies ever had these, but I remember with the PS2 copies in particular - some actually came with an Addendum on a white card alongside the manual. It had a "thank you for purchasing the game" message, then had at least 7-8 things that it outright stated were removed from the game. One I remember was an option in the Extras menu called "The Story So Far" that would've shown how AOD was linked to the other classics.

Even back in the day, I thought that was quite strange. Games could be rife with issues even back then, but you didn't see developers outright telling you that things had been removed from the game. Hindsight sure is 20/20.

Last edited by Jathom95; 09-04-21 at 20:10.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 02:20   #8
jackraider
Inactive

^ I wouldn’t mind seeing a scan of this .
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 06:08   #9
Girafarig32
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtombraider View Post
I bought the Prima strategy guide on Ebay for collector's purposes and I am shocked at the amount of mistakes and wrong information the book contains does anyone else have this book.
It appears Lara is also doing the spring jump in the Tomb of Ancients. Also Luther Rouzic and the version of Muller with the netting is shown.
Old 11-04-21, 10:57   #10
Ruu11
Explorer

I think they wrote this guide following a beta/unreleased version of AoD that they were able to play...
There's a huge ammount of -not mistakes- but early stuff that later was edited like
Janice's original position next to the hotel or even unused nephilim creatures!