www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 08-04-21, 17:18   #21
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I've been saying this for a while - the stories can happen in new ways. Just as reboot Lara had an accident at 21 and was disconnected from her family's wishes at the time but in a different way from Core Lara. Things like Legend could still happen but differently. Lara could still do everything she does in Legend without the motivation of finding her mother. She could be searching for a friend or just trying to find excslibur as an ancient British myth. If you cut all the personal ties from Legend and Underworld they still work. Underworld could even be repositioned in the time line as a direct sequel to TR1 which is what it ended up feeling more like anyway. TR2-AOD are easily repurposed given Von Croy wasn't even meant to be the character Lara originally meant to go and help anyway but rathe Jean Yves before he claimed issue with Core using his likeness which also makes way more sense for why its in Paris.

Like Wooxman said it just takes a bit if imagination and being willing to amend details which shouldn't be too hard given we are in a rebooted universe anyway.

Last edited by jajay119; 08-04-21 at 17:22.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 18:08   #22
tomblover
Legend

The only issue I've run into while trying to consolidate all timelines, personally, has been Lara's adventure in Ireland with Father Patrick.

Given that (Reboot) Lara is supposed to be supernatural skeptic until the events of TR2013, it's kinda hard to justify what happens on the Black Isle.

My band-aid solution, for now, was make Father Patrick more overtly spiritual - the sort of person who takes psychotropic drugs to induce an altered state, where he'd be better disposed to communicating with supernatural forces.

The thing is, I've aged Lara down for this bit (she's 14, in my version of events), so I don't really know if I want to have her tripping balls, after taking an herbal tincture and accidentally roofie-ing herself...
Old 08-04-21, 18:29   #23
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

^ Why did you make her 14?

Give Father Patrick the compassion to make Lara forget the horrors of the Island and it's solved. Either by drugs or hypnosis, Lara doesn't remember a single thing of everything she saw, as Father Patrick believed it'd be the best for her.

I truly think it's unimportant to try to tie everything up by making excuses for EVERYTHING.
Legend and Underworld? Have Underworld's sword in her trophy room. That's enough. There is no need to delve into Amelia's many deaths.

For so many years fans here have uttered the words "SHE PLAYS FOR SPORT", and now we are all trying to make a great story solution (unrelated to playing for sport) for an utter mess of contradictory events that doesn't need being digged up

It's a nice topic to talk about, of course (more than her breasts, in my opinion), but I've seen people getting unnecessarilly mad over this. And we don't even know how they'll approach this, so I can't even imagine how mad they will be when we DO know.
Old 08-04-21, 18:38   #24
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
I personally prefer the "anthology" format of the TR1-3 stories, where Lara's backstory wasn't a factor at all, and honestly, I would hope that "unifying Lara" means returning to those roots.

Like, in the sense that the next game would be able to take place within any timeline, and Lara herself would be timeline-agnostic in her depiction.
This is what I hope for from this whole "unifying timelines" thing.

I just don't like the idea of a Frankenstein Lara. I think the best way is to make little to no references about her past (and definitely don't make any references about her parents) and just focus on the adventure at hand — basically, the anthology format with a timeline-agnostic Lara you mentioned.

And by not going into specifics and making it so the story could take place in any timeline and make it so this new Lara could feasibly be any of the previous ones but never specify which, I think this could truly unify the fanbase as well. Almost like a "choose their own canon" so to speak.
Old 08-04-21, 18:50   #25
tomblover
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
^ Why did you make her 14?

Give Father Patrick the compassion to make Lara forget the horrors of the Island and it's solved. Either by drugs or hypnosis, Lara doesn't remember a single thing of everything she saw, as Father Patrick believed it'd be the best for her.

I truly think it's unimportant to try to tie everything up by making excuses for EVERYTHING.
Legend and Underworld? Have Underworld's sword in her trophy room. That's enough. There is no need to delve into Amelia's many deaths.

For so many years fans here have uttered the words "SHE PLAYS FOR SPORT", and now we are all trying to make a great story solution (unrelated to playing for sport) for an utter mess of contradictory events that doesn't need being digged up

It's a nice topic to talk about, of course (more than her breasts, in my opinion), but I've seen people getting unnecessarilly mad over this. And we don't even know how they'll approach this, so I can't even imagine how mad they will be when we DO know.
It's my understanding that Lara's relationship with Ana was strained even when she was a child, so I figured that they would probably try to stay out of each other's hair - meaning, Lara would probably stay with Winston over the holidays, and things like that.

(and Ana would be happy to let her do her own thing, because it's a weird thing, to grieve a boyfriend you were sent to dispose of )

The summer of 2006, when Lara would be 14, happened to be an empty spot in the calendar that I could fill, so I went with that, just to spread things out evenly.

(Lara also seems much more naïve in Ireland than in Cambodia, which leads me to believe that the Ireland outing takes place before then, never mind the backpack inconsistency)

This is, assuming Lara was 9 years old when Richard died, as in the Shadow version of events. If I went with Rise, where she was 11, I would probably structure things differently.

Although, according to canon, Roth became Lara's legal guardian after Richard died, not Ana. I had forgotten about that.

Still, I can't imagine Roth was present for Lara day-to-day, so the excuse is still valid. Ana is holed up in the Croft Manor guest house, and Lara's taken the spare bedroom at Winston's house in Connussie.

Hypnosis might be a better idea though, thank you for that! I'm a little attached to my interpretation of Father Patrick as a spiritualist, but he'd probably be versed in hypnotism then, too...

It's all just for fun anyway, like you're saying. I would still prefer if they did, what @Amunet quoted me saying above.

Litter the future games with easter eggs, I'm happy with that. We don't need to know exactly how everything went down.

Last edited by tomblover; 08-04-21 at 18:56.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 23:12   #26
jackraider
Inactive

I really like the rebooted Lara Croft Fortnite designs. Epic Games unified the timelines so that we could all embrace the evolution of the character. Also, Fortnite Creative is an amazing spiritual successor to TRLE and builders could of course learn Unreal Engine for more freedom.

Last edited by jackraider; 08-04-21 at 23:21.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 00:59   #27
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
I really like the rebooted Lara Croft Fortnite designs. Epic Games unified the timelines so that we could all embrace the evolution of the character. Also, Fortnite Creative is an amazing spiritual successor to TRLE and builders could of course learn Unreal Engine for more freedom.
Could have but won’t.
Old 09-04-21, 02:42   #28
LateRaider
Professor

I have said this before and I'll say it again here with better grammar. I've been thinking this a lot recently. How many more reboots? Well...

Honestly, execs forcing the devs to "play it safe" so they can get guaranteed moderate money is what's stopping TR from truly having a breakout hit. We get a top seller with each new game era and that's it. It's why they're just going to keep rebooting and making safe, boring sequels until the gaming climate changes and what they're rehashing is no longer novel to the players. Just like the "Unified Timeline" bull**** they're hawking. Honestly? It's just a Legend-style soft reboot because the Survivor formula got stale. Don't let them tell you otherwise. They're going to give us "Sassy Reboot Lara" with dual pistols, modern combat, and less survival elements, and slowly each game is going to ramp up the existing elements until players go, "Wow, this is boring!" by game 3.

Just like TRIII, just like TR:AoD, just like TR:U, just like SotTR.

It's sad. Mediocrity is all we can ever expect from this series. A person who worked on Tomb Raider: Ascension and TR2013 literally came forward and said that they were told it wouldn't be safe enough, that it was too "radical a departure for Tomb Raider." Check Biscuits' thread here https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=225741

So instead of Silent Hill meets Ico meets Tomb Raider, we got Uncharaider. And now Uncharaider isn't profitable anymore because gamers have moved on, it's not interesting, shocking or novel anymore, and it's not making money. So we're going to get another big game that generates a lot of hype, just like TR:L and TR 2013, Tomb Raider XII will be largely forgotten, and Tomb Raider XIV will be boring and stale to almost everyone but a legion of diehards who started with TRXII.

I've realized recently, Tomb Raider is a fun and exciting series, and it's a good thing to love dearly and invest in. Of course Lara is, too. But overall, the series is mediocre and it has been since Tomb Raider III back in 1998. It's not worth stanning; it's not a hill worth dying on. It's just something simple to enjoy and collect for just for the sake of liking the energy it brings. Kind of like the "fast fashion" Marvel films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio123 View Post
Call my crazy but didn't the developers of Shadow of the Tomb Raider admitted on camera that she wouldn't be going back to her old ways? now they say we're unifying the timelines, they don't know what to do anymore. I'm scared!
yeah this is another thing i don't understand about them

Last edited by LateRaider; 09-04-21 at 15:57.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 02:54   #29
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

The ones who said she wouldn't be going back to her ways was Eidos. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they're working on TR anymore. Didn't they say that? Especially now that their focus is with the Guardians of the Galaxy game. I think its solely CD next time around.
Old 09-04-21, 03:55   #30
Rai

If you're talking about the quote I think you are, wasn't that said during Shadow's marketing? I assumed they were talking specifically about Shadow. Would they even have known what the future held for Lara or TR at that point. I remember another EM employee saying they didn't know what the future held. So..take quotes during marketing with a pinch of salt, imo.