www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 02-12-19, 13:09   #101
johnanonymouz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackoimina View Post
Pff in the middle of all negativity considering Shadow in pretty much every single Shadow thread on TRF we have a dedicated unappreciation thread too. Exactly what we need
are we surprised? no
Old 02-12-19, 14:36   #102
jackoimina
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
are we surprised? no
of course not haha
Old 02-12-19, 19:02   #103
ESCachuli
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
- Paititi
- Paititi
- Paititi
(and everything that came with it , from plot to gameplay to basically taking over the game entirely)

I felt like this should be the top 3 , then :

- Boring hubs : 3 crowded noisy "towns" (okay with different architectures but almost the exact same vibes , sunny and surrounded by jungles) full of nonsensical restrictions and devoid of any verticality , interesting design or fun . All you can do in the hubs center is run around and up the slopes and bump into annoying NPCs or listen to their boringass stories.

- The "social aspect" and "discover living cultures and being part of them" BS that EM shoehorned into the game ended up ruining it for me . I like exploring Abandoned RUINS in Tomb Raider . Appreciate the effort to try something new , but it did NOT work for me .

- Lara still had the white knight complex , she wasn't the villainous questionable grey-natured dark protagonist that was talked about in the promo .

- Super disappointing closure to the trilogy and pathetic handling of Trinity especially after Rise's great cliffhanger .

- Very mediocre sound effects , footsteps effects are almost offensively bad . Why did they choose to change them to the worst ?

- Lara's new grunts are annoying and overused .

- Lack of consistency in platforming . For example , you can throw your grapple axe around anywhere in the hubs in Rise (especially Kitezh) and it will attach and open a new platforming path . Forget about that in Shadow , where the grapple axe is just moody and whimsical . Removed the white paint ? okay thanks , but next time make everything that looks climbable actually climbable first , otherwise just don't bother .

- An even more bloated resource and skill maps , but with little to no combat . Was the game even play-tested ?

- lack of polish and quality of the previous two .

- Very bad opening . A walking simulator (again , in a noisy town) with unskippable cutscenes ? Urgh .

- No Mova .

- "All full up . Can't carry anymore" . Why....just WHY .
Agree with everything except...
Quote:
- Jungle galore and it lost its charm pretty fast . Even TR2013 and Rise were more varied .
this.

I really loved the environments and the ambience and I feel it was varied enough while maintaining consistency.

And TR2013 and Rise environments were boring af. Grey and white galore.

I still loved the game, anyway. I feel it is the best since Core era.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 19:17   #104
_Seth
Archaeologist

Just watched a little bit of this point and click game I like (Broken Sword), and this brief bit of story catch up during this exchange is far more compelling, original, engaging, interesting and complex than the cliches galore of this reboot trilogy.

Is it so hard for TR to have a storyline with actual depth, intrigue, unpredictability and scope, all with authentic, charming, memorable characters? I want something as grandiose as a 90's point and click game that a small Yorkshire team developed 2 decades ago, but CD and EM have failed miserably.
Old 07-12-19, 12:08   #105
Mr GaGa
Relic Hunter

I'm pretty sure the next 5 TR games will also have an unappreciation thread. The funny thing is that it happens with every single game no matter how good they are. This is so unoriginal
Old 07-12-19, 13:31   #106
Kubsy
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GaGa View Post
I'm pretty sure the next 5 TR games will also have an unappreciation thread. The funny thing is that it happens with every single game no matter how good they are. This is so unoriginal
No wonder. The creators are not listening to the community, so yeah.
Old 07-12-19, 17:09   #107
NYCL@R@
Archaeologist

Ok here I Go

Details that matter to me
Combat and Enemy AI was very weak and boring.

Puzzles were easy and repetitive.

Skill tree pointless and upgrades pointless.

Outfit Restrictions.

Outfits were unflattering. Would’ve like seeing other iterations of default outfit instead of the black one.

Side tombs were pointless and boring.

Lara’s personality could’ve been stronger better developed.

Character animation outdated and cartoon like.

Expected a bigger graphical improvement from Rise. Still a good looking game but they could’ve done better.

Hair improved from Rise as far as not looking as glossy and more like hair. Would’ve been nice to see her fringe less bulky or hair pulled back away from face. Perhaps longer pony tail. Would’ve liked wet hair animation where as if she left a pool of water hair would’ve been pulled away from face, dried overtime.
Old 07-12-19, 18:24   #108
killchan
Explorer

Quote:
Oh yeah, it's us now. OR MAYBE, they just need to target a specific audience and make a balanced game designed around specific pre-determined gameplay purposes.

With this one they did none of that.
Old 08-12-19, 13:02   #109
Mr GaGa
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
Oh yeah, it's us now. OR MAYBE, they just need to target a specific audience and make a balanced game designed around specific pre-determined gameplay purposes.

With this one they did none of that.
What exactly did Shadow do wrong? I was filled with puzzles, minimal combat, jungle setting, it was colorful, it had tombs, Lara could swim and explore under water. I mean how so many hate Shadow is very confusing to me.
Old 08-12-19, 14:03   #110
ESCachuli
Professor

Quote:
What exactly did Shadow do wrong? I was filled with puzzles, minimal combat, jungle setting, it was colorful, it had tombs, Lara could swim and explore under water. I mean how so many hate Shadow is very confusing to me.
Because it doesnt only matter what you do, but HOW you do it.

Shadow had plenty of bugs, Paititi was a chore, the apocalypse was a let down, the end of trinity was the most anticlimatic thing ever...

So, while I still like it a lot, it has plenty of flaws.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote