www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 21-09-21, 07:11   #1
Lukass
Tomb Raider

Default (Not) using colors.

I played all the classics and I played the new reboot trilogy too.

I can't help, but I find the trilogy color palette extremely bland.

The first two games were just 50 shades of grey, especially Rise, the village was nothing but grey, grey, grey. It was boring to look at.

Looking at games like Assassin's Creed that take themselves seriously too and they are vivid, crisp and colorful even during night, I am curious if CD can't use colors. I would be very grateful for some color galore next time.
Old 21-09-21, 09:12   #2
malferink
Explorer

I see this sentiment around here a lot. But I definitely prefer reboot's color palette over that of say, Uncharted 4's oversaturated look. I think reboot actually has a great color palette (besides shadow's for the most part)
Just think of the Soviet installation during sunset, or the byzantine ruins in contrast to the snowy landscapes. I believe reboot doesn't get enough credit for it's color palette tbh
malferink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-21, 11:19   #3
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

The style of the first reboot game is mostly sepia and undersaturated to fit the dark and gritty feeling of the game. For Rise, it seems more standard. When some environments looks realistic with bad weather you have Geothermal Valley but the game could also be more vibrant in specific parts (Syria, icy caves or Acropolis).
Old 21-09-21, 12:04   #4
Ellioft
Professor

It's interesting because colors in the trilogy just like Lara evolves at each episodes : In the reboot it's grim and gritty and somber so the grey and the sepia tones are used kinda like in a lot of horror movies.

In Rise there's still some grey but it became a little more colorful (the geothermal valley and Kitesh are a good exemple) the main color beside the grey in the game is the blue and the white. The blue for the ice and the white for the snow. Combine that with the brown for the tombs.

As for Shadow the grey palete disapear it's more vibrant and warm. The green of the jungle, the orange, the red are on the front scene for the whole adventure.

I agree about the oversatured instagram look of Uncharted 4 it's not my cup of tea

Last edited by Ellioft; 21-09-21 at 12:08.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-21, 13:16   #5
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

I'd agree for TR2013 and RotTR (though, the pallete makes sense for TR2013 and RotTR has it's moments), but SotTR has a really good and vibrant colour palette all around.
Old 21-09-21, 13:36   #6
biscuits
Relic Hunter

I think Shadow has the best art style and color palette in the franchise
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-21, 14:14   #7
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

My personal preference is that they stick with the reboot style: use popping colors in places where it makes sense (Syria in Rise for instance as a sunny desert should look, or Shadow's vibrant jungles), and maintain a realisitically muted palette if a certain mood, atmosphere or believable look are intended to be transmitted. TR2013's style, for once, is perfect for that game.

I agree with what's said above. Oversaturated palettes for the sake of lookiny pretty are not my thing.
Old 21-09-21, 15:59   #8
Raider8
Archaeologist

I only felt Tomb Raider 2013 to be bland and fifty shades of grey but not for Rise and Shadow. Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider had great color pallete improvements over the previous games notably shadow was way too vibrant and lively with the color scheme.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-21, 16:06   #9
Xilurm
Hobbyist

TR2013's makes sense. Why?

Because every single game during the ps3 generation was dark and gritty for some reason. It's like it had some rust filter or something. I remember so many games having that, and when the first games for the next gen started showing up they all had the colours back, just like it was during the ps2 era.

2006-2012 was definitelly the rusty generation for me.
Xilurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-21, 18:53   #10
malferink
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
I agree about the oversatured instagram look of Uncharted 4 it's not my cup of tea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I agree with what's said above. Oversaturated palettes for the sake of lookiny pretty are not my thing.
I feel like Shadow leans more to the oversaturated look like uncharted 4's. Idk, shadow looks too 'clean'? For lack of a better word. I'm curious what you think.
malferink is offline   Reply With Quote