www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 26-01-21, 22:24   #7131
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

Ive always said and will continue to say that Thailand is the best level Crystal have ever made for a Tomb Raider game. It starts to go down hill from there for me. Mexico is okay but that’s usually where the camera starts to really annoy me and I turn the game off with frustration, an the colour pallet just doesn’t change from that moment on, grey and blue.
Old 26-01-21, 22:31   #7132
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Unfortunately I kinda feel like TRU goes off the edge of cliff more than it goes downhill. The story and combat always would have been a mess but I feel had the last three sections been as solid as the first three then the game would have faired much better.
Old 26-01-21, 22:37   #7133
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

Oh I don’t pay attention to the storyline anymore, it still confuses me. How it goes from Excalibur, Arthur and Avalon to Thor, Norse Mythology and his hammer and tries to connect all mythologies through this portal gateway.

I agree though you can tell they were running out of time when we get towards the end of the game, the levels seem rushed and quickly put together.
Old 26-01-21, 23:03   #7134
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Legend Lara isn't the same as classic Lara but the difference between them isn't that drastic as some people like to say. (I'm surprised this is still a topic) Classic Lara isn't really that complex either tbh. It's just that the LAU Lara is a more developed classic Lara and they spent more time on her personal life. Gameplay wise, very different yes. Character wise, eh not really.
Old 26-01-21, 23:08   #7135
Enya Brennan
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
I agree though you can tell they were running out of time when we get towards the end of the game, the levels seem rushed and quickly put together.
Literally

Underworld was such a great attempt at a unified, Classic-like experience, but the team quickly lost its bearings towards the midpoint of the game. There was quite some ambition and eagerness to work on a modernised Tomb Raider and it shows throughout the first half, until it turns into a disastrous, gloomy corridor colour palette and uninspired level segments (although the swinging hammers in Valhalla were spectacular concept-wise). Such a missed opportunity...
Old 26-01-21, 23:12   #7136
Lord Lulu
Archaeologist

Am I the only one that liked Underworld more than Legend? The two problems I have with Underworld is a few spots of bad controls and the lack of new game+. Other than that I think it is better. Anniversary is better still, until you get to the Atlantis level. That lava pit room with the jumps on timer is the wort level ever in all Tomb Raider that I have played.
Old 26-01-21, 23:22   #7137
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

The only thing really good about Underworld was Thailand and Mexico, and the beginnings of the Mediterranean and Arctic in the sea (both were trash inside the tombs). These were all very much an updated classics take.

The story sucked, her animations were janky as hell, character models looked weird, virtually no unlockable skins for collecting artefacts, I'm an arachnophobe so I don't appreciate the giant spiders.

Legend was less fun in terms of gameplay, but was more polished and had more replay value.

Anniversary evened out as the best game of the three.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 26-01-21 at 23:23.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 23:54   #7138
Jamise_Croft
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
The only thing really good about Underworld was Thailand and Mexico, and the beginnings of the Mediterranean and Arctic in the sea (both were trash inside the tombs). These were all very much an updated classics take.

The story sucked, her animations were janky as hell, character models looked weird, virtually no unlockable skins for collecting artefacts, I'm an arachnophobe so I don't appreciate the giant spiders.

Legend was less fun in terms of gameplay, but was more polished and had more replay value.

Anniversary evened out as the best game of the three.
Period (just wanted to say that but I can't write less than 10 words)
Old 27-01-21, 00:33   #7139
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Underworld goes to show how Core's efforts were underrated. They did huuuge games filled with content, huge interconnected levels, they did that annually. Crystal took the reins and TRL and TRU are too short and simplified and TRA used Core's efforts as a basis. With reboot they didn't even try. Even though the classics took less hours to complete than the reboot games they were much more filled with content whereas reboot repeats a lot and has a lot of filler.

P.S.: for a forum that uses so much the word "tea", there's a serious lack of a tea emoji in it.
Old 27-01-21, 10:25   #7140
pitchtheripoff
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Underworld goes to show how Core's efforts were underrated. They did huuuge games filled with content, huge interconnected levels, they did that annually. Crystal took the reins and TRL and TRU are too short and simplified and TRA used Core's efforts as a basis. With reboot they didn't even try. Even though the classics took less hours to complete than the reboot games they were much more filled with content whereas reboot repeats a lot and has a lot of filler.

P.S.: for a forum that uses so much the word "tea", there's a serious lack of a tea emoji in it.
I wouldn't say TRU was too short. I felt like it's length was pretty balanced, though it's still kinda short. TRL was too short.
TRU's level design was great though. The game is very nice to look at and I really liked exploring a lot of the areas.
Too bad it was rushed.